Worried about the QuickBooks error 6189, 816? Need solutions to get rid of this error code? Thankfully, our QuickBooks support team has fruitful solutions for the error code. In this article, we will guide you about the solutions, by which you can solve the issue immediately. And will also discuss the reasons, and instances of the 6189 and 816 error codes. Meanwhile, you can dial our toll-free number +1-844-405-0904 for instant, and reliable QuickBooks error support.
Table of Contents
What is QuickBooks Error 6189, 816
QuickBooks error code 6189, 816 is one of the multi-user network issues in QuickBooks. It comes with an error message when you try to run QuickBooks Desktop or to open a company file in QuickBooks. In the error message, you can find the detail about the QuickBooks error 6189 with some of the reasons. But still, it will be a little difficult for you you find the exact reason for the error code.
Let’s know, what causes lead the error code in QuickBooks;
Why Do 6189 and 816 Error Code Occurs in QuickBooks
You can’t consider a specific reason for this issue. This issue can occur because of different reasons. Here we have mentioned some of the causes, have a look;
- Limited users are getting approval or permission to assign in QBDataServiceXX or in Windows.
- The QuickBooks version does not accommodate the company file. This happens while you try to open a later version file in an earlier version of QuickBooks.
- The company transaction log file may be older than the company file which you are trying to open.
- The corrupted QuickBooks company files or damaged.
- If QuickBooks data file and the transaction log file is corrupted/damaged or missing.
- Windows drives are missing or damaged which are need to run QuickBooks
- Another reason behind this error is another user logged in the QuickBooks using single-user mode.
- Incomplete installation of QuickBooks may also be the reason for this error.
Signs of 6189, and 816 Error Code
You will meet with some changes in QuickBooks when the error will occur. Let’s see what are they;
- At first you can’t access the company file in multi-user mode.
- Then you can see different types of error messages in your screen, with the error code.
- QuickBooks is unable to open the company file.
- QuickBooks has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.
- Another error mesage will apear as a ‘Warning‘ message, with some detail information.
- Your system may perform slowly.
How to Solve QuickBooks Error Code 6189, 816
Here we have given some solutions, by considering them with the root cause of the reasons. Know the exact reason for the error code, and choose the solution according to that.
Solution 1: Run Quick Fix My Program
Follow the steps to run Quick Fix my program in the tool hub;
Step 1: Download QuickBooks Tool Hub
- Exit all of the QuickBooks programs, and download the QuickBooks Tool Hub, in the latest version.
- Save the downloded file in a place, where you can easily access it.
- Open the QuickBooksToolHub.exe file.
- Follow, on-screen instructions, and agree with the terms, and conditions.
- Double-click on the Tool Hub icon to open it.
Step 2: Use Quick Fix My Program
- From the QuickBooks Tool Hub, choose the ‘Program Problems‘ issue section.
- Click on the ‘Quick Fix my Program‘ option.
- This may take some time to complete the process. Wait for that.
- Then start the QuickBooks Desktop, and open the data file again.
Solution 2: Restart all your System
Sometimes, the complete QuickBooks Desktop setup needs a full reset. Follow the steps to restart the server system, as well as the workstations.
- First, restart your sever system (The server which is hosting your company file).
- Then restart each workstation (Which are other systems that are connected through a network that don’t host your company file).
- After that open QuickBooks on your server system and on other workstations that are connected to the server system through your network.
Solution 3: Upgrade QuickBooks
If you are trying to open an older version company file in a new version, you may find the error code. So in case, you can upgrade company files to a newer QuickBooks version.
Solution 4: Download & Run QuickBooks Refresher
Download and run QuickBooks Refreshers on the system in which you are facing the issue. It will refresh all of the processes, and close all the background programs which are maybe the reason for the error.
- First, download the QuickBooks Refresher and then install all files from it. And save the files where you can easily access them.
- Check no other task is running on the QuickBooks
- Then check and close all the versions of the QuickBooks running on your system.
- Double-click on the QBRefresher.exe file to run the program.
- QBRefresher runs in 30 seconds, you just need to follow the instruction on the screen.
- When the installation is finished, reopen QuickBooks Desktop.
Solution 5: Run QuickBooks Database Server Manager
If you’re hosting your own network, QuickBooks Database Server Manager will help keep your multi-user network stable.
- First, download and install the QuickBooks Database Server Manager on your server system (the one hosting your company files).
- After installation, click on the Windows Start menu.
- And choose the QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
- Make sure you have the latest version of the Database Manager. If it is not in the latest version then update QuickBooks Desktop, the tool will update automatically.
- After finishing the update, start the system.
- In the end, open QuickBooks Desktop on your server system and workstations.
Solution 6: Run a New Window Drive
If the error continues, then it might be due to the damaged Window drive which is you using for QuickBooks. You can download or run a new Windows driver update utility to update or run a Windows drive. If you are not able to do so you can take help from any specialist or master/professional.
Solution 7: Transfer Company File to your Local Hard Drive
If any one of the above solutions is not working, and the company file is stored on a removable drive or online then, move your company file to the local drive.
- Moving your company file to another system doesn’t affect your QuickBooks license.
- You need to install QuickBooks Desktop in your system before moving your company file.
- Rename your file to avoid the wrong file issue.
- It is not good to overwrite the company file. You should rename it before facing the issue of copying files or losing data because the wrong file.
- You need to download the latest version of the tax table payroll file, after moving the file.
- Attached documents, will be unavailable until you manually move the company file to the correct location.
Solution 8: Backup and Restore your Company File
Follow the steps to create a backup and restore company file, and to restore it;
Step 1: Create Backup
- First, create a back up of your file on the old system.
- Copy all backup files to the new system:
- With the help of flash drive or another external device; or
- It can also through a network if the systems are connected.
Step 2: Restore the Created Backup
Data from add-ons, such as QuickBooks Loan Manager, may be excluded from the backup depending on their original location. You can restore custom templates and forms missing from a restored backup separately.
- Search your company file where you stored it is called Restored_CompanyName_Files
- Then copy your file which you want and then paste it at the appropriate location.
The Restored_CompanyName_Files contains some other files to which you need to copy manually.
|File Type||File Location|
|QuickBooks letters and templates||C:\Program Data\Intuit\QuickBooks [version]\QuickBooks Letter Templates|
|Printer Setting (PrintEng.ini, wpr.ini, and QBPrint.qbp)||C:\Program Data\Intuit\QuickBooks [version]|
|Spell Checker (spell.ini and UserDictionary.tlx)||C:\Program Data\Intuit\QuickBooks [version]|
|Financial Statement Designer (FSD clients)||C:\Program Data\Intuit\Intuit\QuickBooks\Company Files\FSD\ClientsNote: For Windows 7, the path is C:\Program Data\Intuit\|
|Financial Statement Designer (FSD data)||C:\Program Data\Intuit\QuickBooks [version]\Components\FSD\Data|
|Cash Flow Projector (.cfp)||[Company Name].qbw|
|Business Planner (.bpw)||[Company Name].qbw|
|Loan Manager (.lmr)||[Company Name].qbw|
Hopefully, this article will be informative for you, and you can solve the error code easily. Still, if you have any kind of doubts regarding this topic then you can get QuickBooks ProAdvisor help for any kind of consultancy through the number +1-844-405-0904.