Quickbooks provides an easy way to convert a QuickBooks file from Mac to Windows as well as Windows to Mac. This process is known as round-tripping. Round-tripping means your QuickBooks file will go from your Mac for your Windows PC. Then back again to your Mac.
In this blog, we have discussed how can you convert your QB company files between Windows & Mac. In this case, you need additional support, call us at QuickBooks Customer Support helpline +1-855-441-4417. We promise to deliver 100% user satisfaction.
Intuit has made it easy to convert your QuickBooks Mac file to windows file and then back again.
Let’s learn how round-tripping works in the Mac Vs PC world.
Steps to Convert a QuickBooks File from Mac to Windows
STEP 1: Update QuickBooks
- First of all, update your QuickBooks Desktop for Mac to the latest version available.
STEP 2: Get your Company File ready
You have to remove the memos that have more that 50 character or any special character (!@#$%^&) in it. To do this follow the steps mentioned below.
- From the top menu bar, go to the Reports menu and then select the Custom Transaction Detailed Report option.
- After that, click on the Dates drop-down menu and select the All dates option.
- To open the transaction that includes a memo, double-click on it.
- Then, remove any extra characters or special characters from the memo and then Save it.
- Once finished, close all the transactions.
- Do this for all the transactions with the memo.
- After that, re-sort the list.
- Finally, run verify and rebuild on your company file.
STEP 3: Convert your company file
- Open your data file in QuickBooks for Mac, choose File>Export> To QuickBooks for Windows.
- You may have to Verify before you proceed further.
- Choose a name and location for the file and then click Save. (NOTE: Remember not to include any special character in the name.)
- On the apply password window, enter a password for the file. You will need this password to open the file in QuickBooks for Windows. If you do not want to password for protect the file, leave the field blank and click ok. Converting a QuickBooks file from mac to window.
Note:- After the backup file is created, you can click the show file in the folder to locate the .qbb file on your computer.
Quickbooks also creates an instructional PDF file in the same location with the same name as your file.
- Send both the .qbb file and the instructional PDF file to the windows user by a CD, USB drive, or Upload it your disk.
- In QuickBooks for windows. Choose File –> Open or Restore company and follow the onscreen prompts to restore a backup copy. When asked to update the file, mark the checkbox, and click the update now.
- Review the file and make any necessary changes.
- To send the file back for use on a mac, follow the instructions on the other side of this card.
Related article: Convert payroll from QuickBooks Desktop to Online
How to convert a QuickBooks file from windows to mac:
If you have switched from QuickBooks for Windows to QuickBooks for Mac then you have probably noticed some differences. Quickbooks for Mac is built like a Mac product from the ground up, so the interface elements will be familiar. If you have used other mac applications. For converting QuickBooks file from windows to mac follow this step.
STEP 1: On the computer with QuickBooks Windows
- First of all, update the QuickBooks Desktop for Windows to the latest version available.
- Then log in as administrator and open the QuickBooks company file.
- Open the data file in QuickBooks for windows and choose File –> Utilities –> Copy company file for QuickBooks mac to save the file as the (.qbb) backup file.
- After that, the verification message will appear “It appears QuickBooks for Windows is a better fit for your company file”. Click Yes to continue.
- There are some data that will not convert from Windows to QuickBooks Mac user.
- Then, save the file on the computer and name it so you can find it out later. NOTE: Do not use any special characters in the name.
- Send the .qbb file to the mac user by a CD, USB drive, or iDisk.
STEP 2: Restore (.Qbb) file on the computer with QuickBooks Mac
- Update QuickBooks Desktop Mac to the latest version.
- Close QuickBooks & then move (.Qbb) to the QuickBooks Desktop Mac system.
- Choose file –> Open company –> Select the .qbb file and click open.
- Click on OK for confirmation of restoring QuickBooks for Desktop files.
- Provide a name to the restored file and then click on Save.
TIP: If you are performing round-tripping then you should stall installing any new QuickBooks updates until the files are back. Also, do not enter any new data or make any changes while your Accountant has the company file.
Data that’s going to convert to QuickBooks Desktop for Mac
- Employee list (excluding notes)
- 1099 categories
- Contacts data
- Audit trail
- Account list (chart of accounts)
- Admin password
- All list reports
- Item Lists
- Custom field definitions
- Customer list
- Customer message list
- Customer type list
- Expense & Income class tracking (Available in QuickBooks Mac for Profit & Loss by Class Report)
- Multiple estimates per job
- Job costing data
- Memorized transactions
- Job types list
- Links between pay items and other items
- Payment terms list
- Other names list (without notes)
- Vendor type List
- Payment Method Lists
- To-Do List
- Shipping via List
- Vendor List
- Company Name and addresses
- Enabled features
- Shipping via list
- Time activity records
- Reminders (excluding alerts)
- Transaction Statistics
- Vehicle list
- Transactions and their list
- Vehicle Type list
Data that isn’t going to convert from Windows to QuickBooks Desktop for Mac
The multiple currencies feature is not available in the QuickBooks Desktop Mac. Since you can’t change the settings in the QuickBooks for Windows once they are set therefore your accounts and balances will be affected by the Multiple & Home currencies settings. That’s why you won’t be able to convert your data of multi-currencies from Windows company file to QuickBooks Desktop for Mac.
Other than that, here are some features and data that cannot be converted from QuickBooks Windows to Mac.
- Data related to the Multi currencies in the QuickBooks Desktop for Windows.
- Data of Intuit integrated payroll and payroll list items. (QuickBooks for Mac uses Intuit Online Payroll)
- Any Online Banking transactions that have not been accepted into the register cannot be transferred to QuickBooks Mac. Apart from this, accepted transactions like payments, deposits can be converted to Mac.
- Customized form settings invoices, statements, estimates, & purchase orders.
- QuickBooks Multi-user data
- Admin and user password
- Business optimization tool, Expert analysis, & Business planning.
- Memorized Reports
- Custom Prize levels
- Integrated Third-Party app like Microsoft Outlook, Word, & ACT.
- Back Order and Sales Order Tracking
- Merchant account service
- Created Budget without linking any account
- Assemble items will be converted into non-inventory items.
- Worker comp list
- User-added columns to list
- “EFP Payroll” transaction type will be converted into a payroll liability check.
- Fixed asset items list
In QuickBooks Desktop Mac, there are few types of reports that cannot be used. Although if you want then you can generate many of these reports using memorized reports, customization, and filter. Below is the list of unsupported reports in QB Mac.
- Unclassified Profit and loss
- Sales Tax Revenue Summary
- Open Purchase Order by Job
- Pending Bills
- Fixed Asset listings
- Income Tax Preparation
- Voided/Deleted Transactions (Only in QuickBooks Desktop Premier version for Windows)
- Profit and loss budget performance
- Voided/deleted transactions history (Only in QuickBooks Desktop Premier version for Windows)
- Open Sales Order by items (Only in QuickBooks Desktop Premier version for Windows)
- Closing Date Exception (Only in QuickBooks Desktop Premier version for Windows)
- Adjusted Trial Balance (Only in QuickBooks Desktop Premier version for Windows)
- Open Sales Orders by customers (Only in QuickBooks Desktop Premier version for Windows)
- Adjusting Journal Entries (Only in QuickBooks Desktop Premier version for Windows)
- Forecast vs Actual(Only in QuickBooks Desktop Premier version for Windows)
- Forecast Overview (Only in QuickBooks Desktop Premier version for Windows)
- All payroll and workers comp reports
Unsupported Report Filters
This is the list of Report Filters that are not compatible or in use with QuickBooks Desktop for Mac. The balances of the original reports will not match with the balances of reports that are created using any of these filters.
- Name Email
- Sales Tax Code
- Paid Thru
- Online Status
- Printed Status
- Workers Comp code
- In Adjustment
We hope that you find our helpful and resourceful as well. Above we have mentioned the entire process of how to convert from QuickBooks Desktop for Mac to Windows or Windows to Mac.
If you are facing any issue or have any queries related to QuickBooks then you can contact our team of QuickBooks ProAdvisor for an instant solution. Call us on our 24/7 toll-free QuickBooks Support number +1-855-441-4417.