Unable to switch the QuickBooks company file in multi-user mode, and finding the error message of QuickBooks error H202 on the screen? This article will show you the right path to fix the multi-user H202 error in QuickBooks. And here you can get an idea of the reasons, and signs of the H202 error code. Get instant support from our well-trained experts through the toll-free number+1-818-295-3510 to save your time & efforts.
What is QuickBooks Error H202
H202 error is a multi-user issue in QuickBooks, which does not allow us to run the QuickBooks company file in multi-user mode. This error can occur because of different reasons. So we can’t the solution according to a particular reason.
Error Code: H202
Error Type: Multi-User Issue, Hosting & Server issue
Error Message: The company file is in another computer, and QuickBooks needs some help connectivity.
How to Identify H202 Error Code in QuickBooks
These are a few indications that QuickBooks may show before it actually reveals the real reason behind the malfunctioning of software.
- QuickBooks suddenly freezes while running.
- The system performance is not as usual.
- Users may not able to switch to the QuickBooks Multi-user mode.
- Company files are not opening that stored in a system other than hosting a computer.
Why the Multi-User H202 Error Occurs
Read the following reasons to find your answer to the question.
- Damaged or corrupted QuickBooks database server manager.
- The firewall settings of the computer are blocking QuickBooks from communicating with others.
- DNS (Domain Name System) settings are configured incorrectly.
- QuickBooks is unable to connect to the server.
- Hosting settings are configured incorrectly.
- QBCFMonitorService or QuickBooksDBXX service is not working normally.
- QuickBooks company files are corrupted or damaged.
How to Fix QuickBooks Error Code H202
We have given solutions according to the scenarios, so choose the solution according to that;
Scenario 1: If the H202 Error is in Windows Server 2012 Essentials R2
If you are using the Windows Server 2012 Essentials R2 with QuickBooks Desktop, and facing the H202 error then you should go with the below-given solutions:
Solution 1: Check the Server Version
First verify that, which server version you are using;
- Go to the server computer, and click on the ‘Start‘ menu.
- In search bar, type, ‘Settings‘, and open the settings window.
- After that, select the ‘Systems‘ and then ‘About‘.
- Check the server version in the ‘About‘ section.
Solution 2: Install the QuickBooks Database Server Manager
You can use this tool to use QuickBooks to make the multi-user connection stable.
- Install the database server manager on the server, and set up it.
- You can use the tool in two different ways;
- Full Program option: If you have the full version of QuickBooks Desktop, and server manager installed on the server system.
- Server Only option: If the database server manager installed on the server computer.
Solution 3: Restart the Base Filtering Engine Service
Follow these steps every time, after restarting the server computer.
Stop the Base Filtering Engine Service
- Go to the Windows ‘Start‘ button.
- Open the ‘Run‘ command window.
- Now in the run window, type, ‘services.msc‘, and press the ‘Enter‘ key.
- Search the the ‘Base Filtering Engine‘ on the services list.
- Right-click on that, and then click on the ‘Stop‘ option.
- If in case, you see any error message, dismiss that.
- And click on the ‘Stop‘ option again.
It ends the workstation connection, and QuickBooks restart it again.
Scan QuickBooks files
- Open QuickBooks database server manager.
- Now, select the folder, where the company files are stored.
- Click on the ‘Start Scan‘option to start the scanning process of the files.
- Close it, after the complete scanning process.
Restart the Base Filtering Engine Service
- Launch the ‘Run‘ command window, and search ‘services.msc‘ in the window.
- From the Services list, find the base filtering engine.
- Right click on the ‘Base Filtering Engine‘, and start it.
- if you find any error message then dismiss that, and start it again.
- From the Service list, find the Windows firewall, and ensure that the status is running.
- If the firewall is not running then manual start the firewall.
Scenario 2: If the Company File is on a non-Windows Server
Solution 1: Check Network Connectivity and Configuration
- First, open QuickBooks on all the computers that you use to access the company file.
- Then Turn Off hosting by going to the File menu and then select the Utility option.
- After that, open ‘This PC’ on the QuickBooks hosting computer.
- And then select the Network option from the left side panel to check whether all networks are visible or not.
- Ping all the workstations one by one with the help of QuickBooks Hosting computer.
- Then ping the host computer from the systems that are showing the QB Error H202.
- You need to use a command prompt to ping the computers.
- The syntax for the Ping command is to ping [computer name] and then press enter.
Solution 2: Use the QuickBooks Connection Diagnostic Tool to fix Network Issues
- First, download and install the QuickBooks Connection Diagnostic Tool on the hosting computer.
- Scan the folder that stores your QuickBooks company files.
- Note down the IP address that shows up when the QuickBooks connection diagnostic tool is running.
- Configure the firewall wall ports as instructed by the diagnostic tool.
- Follow the further instructions of the QB Connection Diagnostic Tool.
- Now, try to open QuickBooks company files on the system in which the H202 error showed up.
Solution 3: Add QuickBooks Server Information into Windows Host File
Remember you need to apply this method on the computers where QuickBooks error H202 is occurring.
- First, go to the location where the windows host file is stored i.e. (Local Disk C\Windows\system32\drivers\etc).
- Open the Windows Host File in the notepad. You can do this by right-clicking on the file and then select Open with.
- Scroll all the way to the end in the command prompt window and enter the IP address of the server.
- Press the tab from the keyboard and then enter the QuickBooks Server name.
- To save the change you made press Ctrl+S and then close the command prompt window.
Solution 4: Change the Company File Location
- First, you need to create a new folder for storing company files and we recommend you create a folder in Local disk C.
- Then copy the company files and files with .TLG extension from the existing folder.
- Then paste all the files into the new folder.
- Once again try to open company files in multi-user mode.
If the QuickBooks error H202 still exists then try the next solution.
Solution 5: Configure QuickBooks Database Server Manager
- Open the Run command box. You can do it by pressing the windows button + R.
- Then in the search bar type services.MSc and then enter.
- In the list of services find the QuickBooksDBXX.
- After that double-click on the QuickBooksDBXX and then select Stop.
- Select the start option as Automatic from the drop-down menu.
- Try to open QuickBooks company files again.
Solution 6: Rename Files with .TLG and .ND file Extensions
- First of all close QuickBooks on all the computers.
- Open QuickBooks company files in the hosting computer.
- Then search for those .TLG files that are causing the QuickBooks error code H202.
- After that right-click on the .TLG file and rename it.
- You need to add the prefix OLD before the file name to rename it.
- Do the same with the .TLG and .ND files and then close the QB company file folders.
- After that press and hold the alt key and open company files at the same time.
- Commonly by renaming those files, there should be no more problem in opening company files.
Solution 7: Repair and Update QuickBooks Software
- First, update the QuickBooks software to the latest version.
- Then, download and install the QuickBooks File Doctor.
- Run the QB File Doctor and it will automatically detect the issues as well as troubleshoot them instantly.
Solution 8: Repair QuickBooks in Windows Control Panel
- Close QuickBooks on all the computers connected to the network.
- You can repair QuickBooks on all computers in the Windows control panel at the same time.
- For this, open the windows control panel and then select the Programs and Features option.
- Select QuickBooks from the list of installed programs on the computer and then select Change/Repair.
- Allow QuickBooks to make some changes to the computer’s settings in order to run QB perfectly.
- You need to update QuickBooks to the latest version as soon as the repairing process is completed.
- Now check on all the computers whether QuickBooks error code H202 is still occurring or not.
We recommend you follow the below-mentioned instructions carefully if you want to permanently get rid of H-series errors.
- Use QuickBooks Diagnostic Tools to check and fix errors frequently.
- Resolve all the errors of the QuickBooks Company files.
- Try to find the cause of the most frequent errors in QuickBooks and fix them instantly.
- Prevent any data loss.
- Fix QuickBooks Freezing issues.
Solution 9: Set Hosting Local Files
Follow the below to assure that no other client system is trying to host the same company file:
- Open QuickBooks and click on the F2 key on your keyboard to initiate the Product Information screen.
- Now, go to the lower-left corner, look for the Hosting, and click on it to reflect ‘local files only’ below the Local Server Information.
The complete procedure was all about the QuickBooks error H202. Still, if you have any queries regarding this error then drop a call to this number+1-818-295-3510 to consultancy from our certified QuickBooks ProAdvisors.