One of the reasons behind this is the features that QuickBooks offers to its users and Multi-user mode is one of those features. While using QuickBooks in Multi-user mode many users can access and work simultaneously on a company file.
But due to some technical errors like QB Error H202 users may not be able to access their company files. In this article, we’ll show you the reasons behind this error and how to fix QuickBooks error H202 in simple steps.
- Symptoms of QuickBooks Error H202
- Major Reasons Behind QuickBooks Error H202
- Different Ways to Fix QuickBooks Error H202
- Solution 1: Check Network Connectivity and Configuration
- Solution 2: Use the QuickBooks Connection Diagnostic Tool to fix Network Issues
- Solution 3: Add QuickBooks Server Information into Windows Host File
- Solution 4: Change the Company File Location
- Solution 5: Configure QuickBooks Database Server Manager
- Solution 6: Rename Files with .TLG and .ND file Extensions
- Solution 7: Repair and Update QuickBooks Software
- Solution 8: Repair QuickBooks in Windows Control Panel
- Solution 9: Set Hosting Local Files
- Frequently Asked Questions
Symptoms of QuickBooks Error H202
These are a few indications that QuickBooks may show before it actually reveals the real reason behind the malfunctioning of software.
- QuickBooks suddenly freezes while running.
- The system performance is not as usual.
- Users may not able to switch to the QuickBooks Multi-user mode.
- Company files are not opening that stored in a system other than hosting a computer.
Major Reasons Behind QuickBooks Error H202
It is important to find out the reasons that are causing the problem in order to fix QuickBooks error H202. Below mentioned could be the reasons behind the QB error H202.
- Damaged or Corrupted QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
- The firewall settings of the computer are blocking QuickBooks from communicating with others.
- DNS (Domain Name System) settings are configured incorrectly.
- QuickBooks is unable to connect to the server.
- Hosting settings are configured incorrectly.
- QBCFMonitorService or QuickBooksDBXX service is not working normally.
- QuickBooks company files are corrupted or damaged.
Different Ways to Fix QuickBooks Error H202
Here we are going to discuss 8 methods using which you can easily fix QuickBooks H-series error easily. You need to find the reason due to which the error occurred in the first place and then choose a method to fix the error accordingly.
Solution 1: Check Network Connectivity and Configuration
- First, open QuickBooks on all the computers that you use to access the company file.
- Then Turn Off hosting by going to the File menu and then select the Utilities option.
- After that, open ‘This PC’ on the QuickBooks hosting computer.
- And then select the Network option from the left side panel to check whether all networks are visible or not.
- Ping all the workstations one by one with the help of QuickBooks Hosting computer.
- Then ping the host computer from the systems that are showing the QB Error H202.
- You need to use a command prompt for ping the computers.
- The syntax for Ping command is ping [computer name] and then press enter.
If there is a delay or latency in the command response and data transfer then it may be due to some technical glitches in LAN. To solve this issue you need to be a technical expert or you can also hire a QuickBooks expert to solve this issue.
Solution 2: Use the QuickBooks Connection Diagnostic Tool to fix Network Issues
- First, download and install the QuickBooks Connection Diagnostic Tool on the hosting computer.
- Scan the folder that stores your QuickBooks company files.
- Note down the IP address that shows up when the QB connection diagnostic tool is running.
- Configure the firewall wall ports as instructed by the diagnostic tool.
- Follow the further instructions of the QB Connection Diagnostic Tool.
- Now, try to open QB company files on the system in which the H202 error showed up.
Solution 3: Add QuickBooks Server Information into Windows Host File
Remember you need to apply this method on the computers where QuickBooks error H202 is occurring.
- First, go to the location where the windows host file is stored i.e. (Local Disk C\Windows\system32\drivers\etc).
- Open the Windows Host File in the notepad. You can do this by right-clicking on the file and then select Open with.
- Scroll all the way to the end in the command prompt window and enter the IP address of the server.
- Press the tab from the keyboard and then enter the QuickBooks Server name.
- To save the change you made press Ctrl+S and then close the command prompt window.
Solution 4: Change the Company File Location
- First, you need to create a new folder for storing company files and we recommend you create a folder in Local disk C.
- Then copy the company files and files with .TLG extension from the existing folder.
- Then paste all the files in the new folder.
- Once again try to open company files in multi-user mode.
If the QuickBooks error H202 still exists then try the next solution.
Solution 5: Configure QuickBooks Database Server Manager
- Open the Run command box. You can do it by pressing the windows button + R.
- Then in the search bar type services.MSc and then enter.
- In the list of services find the QuickBooksDBXX.
- After that double-click on the QuickBooksDBXX and then select Stop.
- Select the start option as Automatic from the drop-down menu.
- Try to open QuickBooks company files again.
Solution 6: Rename Files with .TLG and .ND file Extensions
- First of all close QuickBooks on all the computers.
- Open QuickBooks company files in the hosting computer.
- Then search for those .TLG files which are causing the QuickBooks error code H202.
- After that right-click on the .TLG file and rename it.
- You need to add prefix OLD before the file name to rename it.
- Do the same with the .TLG and .ND files and then close the QB company file folders.
- After that press and hold the alt key and open company files at the same time.
- Commonly by renaming those files there should be no more problem in opening company files.
Solution 7: Repair and Update QuickBooks Software
- First, update the QuickBooks software to the latest version.
- Then, download and install the QuickBooks File Doctor.
- Run the QB File Doctor and it will automatically detect the issues as well as troubleshoot them instantly.
Solution 8: Repair QuickBooks in Windows Control Panel
- Close QuickBooks on all the computers connected to the network.
- You can repair QuickBooks on all computers in the Windows control panel at the same time.
- For this, open the windows control panel and then select the Programs and Features option.
- Select QuickBooks from the list of installed programs in the computer and then select Change/Repair.
- Allow QuickBooks to make some changes to the computer’s settings in order to run QB perfectly.
- You need to update QuickBooks to the latest version as soon as the repairing process is completed.
- Now check on all the computers whether QuickBooks error code H202 is still occurring or not.
We recommend you follow the below mentioned instructions carefully if you want to permanently get rid of H-series errors.
- Use QuickBooks Diagnostic Tools to check and fix errors frequently.
- Resolve all the errors of the QuickBooks Company files.
- Try to find the cause of most frequent errors in QuickBooks and fix them instantly.
- Prevent any data loss.
- Fix QuickBooks Freezing issues.
Solution 9: Set Hosting Local Files
Follow the below to assure that no other client system is trying to host the same company file:
- Open QuickBooks and click on the F2 key on your keyboard to initiate the Product Information screen.
- Now, go to the lower-left corner, look for the Hosting, and click on it to reflect ‘local files only’ below the Local Server Information.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the Firewall port settings for QuickBooks 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019?
QuickBooks 2016 Firewall Ports: 8019, 56726, 55368-55372
QuickBooks 2017 Firewall Ports: 8019, 56727, 55373-55377
QuickBooks 2018 Firewall Ports: 8019, 56728, 55378-55382
QuickBooks 2019 Firewall Ports: In QuickBooks 2019 version, firewall ports are automatically detected as soon as you scan company files in the Database server manager.
We hope that now you have learned how to fix QuickBooks Error H202 if ever came across this error in the future. Some of the solutions mentioned above require deep technical knowledge, therefore, it may be difficult for some users to understand it. To fix these H-series errors instantly you can hire a QuickBooks ProAdvisor, they have experienced and expertise that requires solving these kinds of errors. To have assistance call us at our 24/7 toll-free technical support number +1-844-541-8444.