Without having proper knowledge, it is difficult to upgrade or convert a company file into a newer version of QuickBooks Desktop. When you work on QuickBooks and the new version is available of QuickBooks, so must you do update your old version in the newer version, you will need to update your old company files as well.
Therefore, here we are going to discuss to upgrade or convert your company file to a better version of QuickBooks. It contains a step-by-step process that represents everything that you need to know to upgrade your company file. At any point, if you feel a discomfort doing it by yourself. you can talk to our QuickBooks Enterprise support team.
Preparing The Company File for Converting:
We need to double-check the data for errors in the company file. Once the company file is converted, you can’t do any changes in the file. These all of the things help the Company file for converting or upgrading.
- First, you create a portable company file.
- Don’t use Alphanumeric characters ([email protected]#$%^^&*) in the name of the company file.
Arrange(Re-Sort) all six of the major list
- Open the list of Vendors, Employees & customers by clicking the icon on the top bar. Search the list and after viewing the list go to View > Re-sort List.
- Item List: Go to list then open item list and click Account which is bottom left, you can see the last option, Re-sort List.
- The chart of Account: Open the Chart of an account by click Account in the bottom left, the last option is Re-sort list.
- Now you can reset the admin password and password hint because sometimes password arises the problems so change the password for security purposes.
- Rebuild the data: Check and Rebuilding your company date by Intuit site.
- Verify the Data: Read up the verifying related information by Intuit site.
- Search the error in QBWin.log file and read the file for any errors- Read up on the QuickBook log file.
To Upgrade or Convert your company file
Initially, you have to install the latest version of QuickBooks Desktop software and after that, you can upgrade or convert your company file.
Only the Admin user can upgrade or convert company file in QuickBooks
If you are the only user of your company file then you are already an administrator and you will need to sign into the “Admin” user to continue with these steps.
And if you are not the admin then you want to upgrade your QuickBooks company file and then you will receive the message “The company file needs to be updated”.
Please ask your QB admin to update the file. This message you need to switch to the admin user and try again.
Don’t upgrade your QuickBooks Company file over a network
Moving further, you need to know that it is not important to upgrade company files while stored on a network or a mapped drive. This may take the conversion unsecured and puts the file at risk of being damaged.
In fact, the QuickBooks Desktop Company file must be saved locally on the computer you are accessing it from.
Upgraded QuickBooks Data file can’t be opened in previous versions
If you convert the QuickBooks Company file to a newer version after that older version of QB will not be able to open it.
However QuickBooks Desktop automatically backup your data file before upgrading it. In case if you want to return to the older version. You can always restore this back up with your old version of QuickBooks.
If the transformation process is interrupted for any reason then you can restore the backup with your new version of QuickBooks Desktop to restart the upgrade.
Enterprise company files just work in QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise editions.
If you want to try old version to the latest version for upgrading or converting company just follow these steps:
- Restore and verify your company data file.
- If verification fails then use the qbwin.log file to locate and resolve error messages.
- After the upgrade is completed to ensure that the modified data file is in good shape by running to verify data utility. If this step fails then repeat the previous step.
Follow the given steps to Upgrade or Convert your QuickBooks company file
- At first, install the latest version of QuickBooks Desktop.
- Next, click on the file and then click open or restore your company file.
- Then, click on Open a company file.
- Again search your data file and click
- After that, study the following instruction in an update company file for New Versions Check the box to signify you understand, and then choose Update Now.
- Follow the instructions on how to backup your file. Note where you put it.
When the message appears, “You are about to open a company file using a newer version of QuickBooks. Do you want to continue?”
- Appears, Choose
- Once the file is updated:
- Save the backup you created in a secure location until you are certain you won’t need it again.
- if we copied the company file from another desktop to update it and then do it back again.
- you are unable to find your company data file in its original location and if it is not in the specified folder, search your hard drive for *.qbw files.
- you have attached QuickBooks Desktop Payroll(US), then verify your payroll service by signing into your account by going to Employees and then click my payroll service and then click account info/preference.
Tips And Tricks To Ensure a Smooth Upgrade of your QuickBooks Company File:
Before updating Your company file you need to do a few things in your previous version, these things are given below
- Resort Your lists.
- Verify your data file.
- Rebuild your data file.
- Check your Qbwin.log file for error messages.
- Make sure the updated data files are in good shape by running the verify data utility after you finish the update.
I hope this article is helpful for you. If you want any information regarding this or anything else, you can call our QuickBooks Support Phone Number+1-855-441-4417.
More to read:
- QuickBooks Error 1603 – Fix Install Update HTML Error Status 1603
- How to Fix QuickBooks Update Error 15215 during Maintenance & Release