Upgrade or Convert your Company File to a Newer Version in QuickBooks Desktop
- Last Updated on: April 23rd, 2018
- Posted by: admin
- Category: QuickBooks Desktop
For upgrade or convert your company file to a newer version of QuickBooks Desktop so read this tutorial as it contains step-by-step represent everything which is you need to know to upgrade or convert your company file. At any point, you feel a discomfort doing it yourself. you can hire our QuickBooks Enterprise support team. Dial +1-855-441-4417 and they will be available to provide the assistance you need.
To Upgrade or Convert your company file
First of all, you have to install the latest version of QuickBooks Desktop software and after that, you can upgrade or convert your company file.
Only the Admin user can upgrade or convert company file in QuickBooks
If you are the only user of your company file then you are already an administrator and you will need to sign into the “Admin” user to continue with these steps.
And you are not the admin then you want to upgrade your QuickBooks company file and you will receive the message “The company file needs to be updated”
Please ask your QB admin to update the file. This message you need to switch to the admin user and try again.
Don’t upgrade your QuickBooks Company file over a network
It is not beneficial to upgrade company file while stored on a network or a mapped drive. This may take the conversion unsecured and puts the file at risk of being damaged.
Instead, the QuickBooks Desktop Company file must be saved locally on the computer you are accessing it from.
Upgraded QuickBooks Data file can’t be opened in previous versions
If you convert the QuickBooks Company file to a newer version after that older version of QB will not be able to open it.
However QuickBooks Desktop automatically backup your data file before upgrading it. In case if you want to return to the older version. You can always restore this back up with your old version of QuickBooks.
If the transformation process is interrupted for any reason then you can restore the backup with your new version of QuickBooks Desktop to restart the upgrade.
Enterprise company files just work in QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise editions.
If you want to try old version to latest version for upgrading or converting company you have to follow few steps.
- Restore and verify your company data file.
- If verification fails then use the qbwin.log file to locate and resolve error messages.
- After the upgrade is completed ensure that the modified data file is in good shape by running to verify data utility. If this step fails then repeat the previous step.
Follow the below steps to Upgrade or Convert your QuickBooks company file
- First of all, install the latest version of QuickBooks Desktop.
- After that, click on the file and then click open or restore your company file.
- click on Open a company file.
- search your data file and click
- After that, study the following instruction in update company file for New Versions Check the box to signify you understand, and then choose Update Now.
- Follow the instructions on how to backup your file. Note where you put it.
When the message appears, “You are about to open a company file using a newer version of QuickBooks. Do you want to continue?”
- Appears, Choose
- Once the file is updated:
- Save the backup you created in a secure location until you are certain you won’t need it again.
- if we copied the company file from another desktop to update it and then do it back again.
- you are unable to find your company data file in its original location and if it is not in the specified folder, search your hard drive for *.qbw files.
- you have attached QuickBooks Desktop Payroll(US), then verify your payroll service by signing into your account by going to Employees and then click my payroll service and then click account info/preference.
I hope you find this article useful. If you want any information regarding this or anything else, you can call our QuickBooks Support Phone Number+1-855-441-4417.
More to read: