Welcome to the quick guide to install, update, download and setup of QuickBooks Database Server Manager. Let’s start by knowing whats the term QuickBooks Database Server Manager does actually means:-
QuickBooks Database Server Manager allows you to sync company files with other computers over the same network or your company network. It also helps to maintain the multi-user network. In a very simple concept- It is designed by Intuit to support multi-user access, where multiple users can work on the same company file at the same time.
This tool is very useful, especially when you are using multiple versions of QuickBooks. It also helps to create a network data file(.ND) for any company file on the host computer.
- Some Important Points about QuickBooks Server Manager
- How To Download and Install QuickBooks Database Server Manager
- How to update QuickBooks Database Server Manager
- How to Use and Setup the QuickBooks Database Server Manager
- How to install Linux Database Server Manager
- How To Uninstall QuickBooks Database Server Manager
- Some Frequently Asked Questions
Some Important Points about QuickBooks Server Manager
- QuickBooks Database Server Manager (QBDBMS): QBDBMS creates Network Data files(.nd) and stored the company files on the host computer. If you want to use multiple versions of QuickBooks Desktop then you should install each version of the Database Server Manager.
- If you are installing multiple versions of Database Server Manager it will give you only multiple versions of processes but it cannot provide multiple versions of the software.
- When you want to use multiple versions of QuickBooks Desktop, you may install the Database Server Manager in chronological order from oldest to newest for each version.
- Clear that the year’s database services are running in the background when the Database Server Manager works for each year. Sure that the services of Windows interface which accessible via the Windows and the Control Panel then this service is listed as QuickBooks DBXX, where the XX shows the number of versions (ex.”27″ is for QuickBooks Desktop 2018 and “28” for QuickBooks 2019).
- Add a User: Each QuickBooks versions add a user when the QB Database Server Manager is installed. (ex. QBDataServiceUser28 for 2018 and QBDataServiceUsers27 for 2017).
How To Download and Install QuickBooks Database Server Manager
Download Database Server Manager
Database Server Manager is a part of the QuickBooks Desktop file. If you haven’t already, download QuickBooks Desktop.
Install Database Server Manager
Here are the steps to install the Database Server Manager on your server computer. This is the computer that hosts your company files.
Important: If you are an accountant or someone who hosts multiple versions of the QuickBooks desktop on your network, install them in order. Install the oldest version first and finish the most recent.
- First, you need to close all the programs on your server computer, QuickBooks also.
- Now, you need to open and install Setup_QuickBooks.exe. The file that you downloaded.
- Now, you need to go with the onscreen instructions.
- When QuickBooks asks you to select an install type, then it’s recommended choosing Custom or Network Options. Then click on Next. Do not choose Express.
- Click on the best option for your network setup and later click on Next. Both the options install the Database Server Manager. If QuickBooks Desktop is already installed on your server computer, this we advised you not to overwrite any existing company data.
- If you require Database Server Manager and QuickBooks Desktop on your server computer, then click on I’ll be using QuickBooks Desktop on this computer, AND I’ll be storing. We highly advised this option.
- If you need only Database Server Manager on your server computer, click on I will NOT be using QuickBooks Desktop.
- Go with the rest of the onscreen instructions. When you’re ready, click on Install. Windows may ask you for permission.
Note: QuickBooks generate a new Windows user for every version of Database Server Manager. For example, Data Server Manager 2020 creates the show as QBDataServiceUser20
Allow these users to access the folders that hold your company files. Whenever you set system-level permissions, you can see these users.
Read also: QuickBooks Connection Diagnostics Tool
How to update QuickBooks Database Server Manager
Generally, you don’t need to update QB Server Manager manually, it automatically updates when you update QuickBooks Desktop. But if you want to do it manually, the following are as follows:
- Firstly you need to visit the Intuit website to download the updated patch for Database Server Manager.
Note: The patch for the workstation is the same for the patch for the server.
- After the patch installation completes, reboot your server. (This is mandatory).
- After the server has been updated on the workstation then you may get the message. “The company file needs to be updated to work with this version of QuickBooks Desktop”.
- There will be a prompt to create a backup which is necessary because these updates can modify the database structure.
- Follow all the prompts, and the backup is completed you should be able to do your work.
How to Use and Setup the QuickBooks Database Server Manager
1. How to Open the QuickBooks Database Server Manager
Go to the Start button, click on Programs, click on QuickBooks, and then click on QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
2. How to Scan your Folder Features.
When you store all company files on the server must be scanned once to ensure that they’re configured to allow other users access to these company files easily.
- Go to the Start button, click on All Programs, click on QuickBooks Folder, and then click on QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
- Click on Scan Folders.
- Check which folders contain QuickBooks company files. If you do not know where are the files then you can select to scan entire disks.
- Click on Scan button to begin the scan. The display bar will show which folders are being scanned. Once you are done with your scan, other users can able to open company files remotely. The company files are configured in the scanned folders for multi-user access when the scanned completely.
3. How to Add Folder
Click on add folders button and select the folder you want to add. The position of this folder under the folders that contain the QuickBooks company file.
4. How to Remove the folder
You can easily remove the folder by clicking on the particular folder and then click the Remove Folder.
5. How to Monitor Your Drives Feature
You can use the Monitored Drives features to keep your QuickBooks Database Server Manager up-to-date when you add new company files to your server.
- Go to the Start button, click on Program, click QuickBooks, and then click QuickBooks Database Manager.
- Click on the Monitored Drives tab.
Note: It’s not possible to display and monitor the mapped drive.
How to install Linux Database Server Manager
If you want to install QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise Linux Database Server Manager, you must be familiar with the Linux operating system, understands network operations & has administrator access to install & configure the software.
If you are not a system administrator, it is recommended to take help from one who have knowledge & experience of it. If you wish to hire our expert, dial +1-855-441-4417 talk with one of them.
The Linux Database Server Manager consist of three components:
- The Database server files
- The qbmonitord daemon
- The qbmonitord configuration file (qbmonitord.conf)
|Hardware and Software||Minimum||Recommended|
|Processor||1.2 GHz Intel Pentium 3||2 GHz Intel Pentium 4|
|RAM||1 GB||As much as possible|
|Disk Space||2.5 GB||Additional space for the QuickBooks company files|
Further Read: Click here to know the further process that includes how to install & configure the Linux Database Server Manager & resolve various error messages.
How To Uninstall QuickBooks Database Server Manager
As you are not in the multi-user feature, you can easily uninstall the QuickBooks Database Server Manager by folowing the below steps
- Go to the Programs and Features under the control Panel.
- Now look for the QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
- Click on the Uninstall/Change at the top of the window.
- Now, go with the on-screen instructions to Uninstall/Remove the program.
Some Frequently Asked Questions
Why QuickBooks database server manager is required?
When you are working with multiple versions of QuickBooks you will need to download the QuickBooks database server. QBDBSM creates network data files for each company file stored on the host workstation.
How to repair the QuickBooks database?
QuickBooks database can be repaired by running the rebuild data utility.
- Go to the File menu, then select Utilities and Rebuild Data.
- Go to the QuickBooks Information window, select OK.
- Select OK when the repairing process has completed.
How to start QuickBooks database server manager?
Ans- To start QBDBSM open QuickBooks on the server and follow the steps below-
- Go to the File menu, choose Open or Restore Company.
- Press Open a company file then click Next.
- Find your company file and choose it.
- Select the Open file in multi-user mode check box, then press Open.
How to uninstall QBSBSM?
Ans- If you are not using the multi-user feature you can uninstall the QBDBSM.You can uninstall it following these steps.
- Open Programs and Features to uninstall software.
- For the next step Click on QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
- Select Uninstall or Change at the top of the window.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to Uninstall or Remove the program.
Read also: QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool
Hope, this post will help you to learn the process of downloading, installation, updating & setting up your QuickBooks Database Server Manager. If you still have any doubt or need any kind of assistance related to QuickBooks then feel free to contact our certified Proadvisor, or directly dial +1-855-441-4417 toll-free, we are just one call away from you.
QuickBooks Database Server Manager
QuickBooks Database Server Manager allows you to configure the multi-user access, where multiple users can work on the same company file at the same time. This tool is very useful, especially when you are dealing with multiple versions of QuickBooks because it enables you to work with different versions of QuickBooks Desktop.