Welcome to the quick guide to install, update, download and setup of QuickBooks Database Server Manager. Let’s start by knowing whats the term QuickBooks Database Server Manager does actually means:-
QuickBooks Database Server Manager allows you to sync company files with other Computer over the same network or your company network. It also helps to maintain the multi-user network. In a very simple concept- It is designed by Intuit to support multi-user access, where multiple users can work on the same company file at the same time.
This tool is very useful, especially when you are using with multiple versions of QuickBooks. It also helps to create a network data file(.ND) for any company file on the host computer.
Some Important Points about QuickBooks Server Manager
- QuickBooks Database Server Manager (QBDBMS): QBDBMS creates Network Data files(.nd) and stored the company files on the host computer. If you want to use multiple versions of QuickBooks Desktop then you should install each version of the Database Server Manager.
- If you are installing multiple versions of Database Server Manager it will give you only multiple versions of processes but it cannot provide multiple versions of the software.
- When you want to use multiple versions of QuickBooks Desktop, you may install the Database Server Manager in chronological order from oldest to newest for each version.
- Clear that the year’s database services are running in the background when the Database Server Manager works for each year. Sure that the services of Windows interface which accessible via the Windows and the Control Panel then this service is listed as QuickBooks DBXX, where the XX shows the number of versions (ex.”27″ is for QuickBooks Desktop 2018 and “28” for QuickBooks 2019).
- Add a User: Each QuickBooks versions add a user when the QB Database Server Manager is installed. (ex. QBDataServiceUser28 for 2018 and QBDataServiceUsers27 for 2017).
How To Download and Install QuickBooks Database Server Manager
- To download QBDSM you need to use the same QuickBooks Desktop installer with the name setup_QuickBooks.exe, open and start the installation wizard.
- Connect your system to the internet, then click on ‘yes’.
- Read carefully all the terms of the Software License agreements. If you agree to terms and conditions then select ‘I accept’ and click Next.
- Choose any Custom or Network Options. Both options will help you to download the QBDSM. If QuickBooks Desktop is already installed on your computer, it can’t override the existing data files.
- If you need both QuickBooks Database Server Manager and QuickBooks Desktop on your computer, select I’ll be using QuickBooks Desktop on this computer, AND I’ll be storing. we personally recommended this option.
- If you only need QuickBooks Database Server Manager, then select I will NOT be using QuickBooks Desktop.
- Choose Yes, allow all access.
- If required, enter your License Number and Product Number.
- To complete the installation process follow all the on-screen instructions.
Read also: QuickBooks Connection Diagnostics Tool
How to update QuickBooks Database Server Manager
Generally, you don’t need to update QB Server Manager manually, it automatically updates when you update QuickBooks Desktop. But if you want to do it manually, the following are as follows:
- Firstly you need to visit the Intuit website to download the updated patch for Database Server Manager.
Note: The patch for the workstation is the same for the patch for the server.
- After the patch installation completes, reboot your server. (This is mandatory).
- After the server has been updated on the workstation then you may get the message. “The company file needs to be updated to work with this version of QuickBooks Desktop”.
- There will be a prompt to create a backup which is necessary because these updates can modify the database structure.
- Follow all the prompts, and the backup is completed you should be able to do your work.
How to Use and Setup the QuickBooks Database Server Manager
1. How to Open the QuickBooks Database Server Manager
Go to the Start button, click on Programs, click on QuickBooks, and then click on QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
2. How to Scan your Folder Features.
When you store all company files on the server must be scanned once to ensure that they’re configured to allow other users access to these company files easily.
- Go to the Start button, click on All Programs, click on QuickBooks Folder, and then click on QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
- Click on Scan Folders.
- Check which folders contain QuickBooks company files. If you do not know where are the files then you can select to scan entire disks.
- Click on Scan button to begin the scan. The display bar will show which folders are being scanned. Once you are done with your scan, other users can able to open company files remotely. The company files are configured in the scanned folders for multi-user access when the scanned completely.
3. How to Add Folder
Click on add folders button and select the folder you want to add. The position of this folder under the folders that contain the QuickBooks company file.
4. How to Remove the folder
You can easily remove the folder by clicking on the particular folder and then click the Remove Folder.
5. How to Monitor Your Drives Feature
You can use the Monitored Drives features to keep your QuickBooks Database Server Manager up-to-date when you add new company files to your server.
- Go to the Start button, click on Program, click QuickBooks, and then click QuickBooks Database Manager.
- Click on the Monitored Drives tab.
Note: It’s not possible to display and monitor the mapped drive.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why QuickBooks database server manager is required?
When you are working with multiple versions of QuickBooks you will need to download the QuickBooks database server. QBDBSM creates network data files for each company file stored on the host workstation.
How to repair the QuickBooks database?
QuickBooks database can be repaired by running the rebuild data utility.
- Go to the File menu, then select Utilities and Rebuild Data.
- Go to the QuickBooks Information window, select OK.
- Select OK when the repairing process has completed.
How to start QuickBooks database server manager?
Ans- To start QBDBSM open QuickBooks on the server and follow the steps below-
- Go to the File menu, choose Open or Restore Company.
- Press Open a company file then click Next.
- Find your company file and choose it.
- Select the Open file in multi-user mode check box, then press Open.
How to uninstall QBSBSM?
Ans- If you are not using the multi-user feature you can uninstall the QBDBSM.You can uninstall it following these steps.
- Open Programs and Features to uninstall software.
- For the next step Click on QuickBooks Database Server Manager.
- Select Uninstall or Change at the top of the window.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to Uninstall or Remove the program.
Read also: QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool
Hope, this post will help you to learn the process of downloading, installation, updating & setting up your QuickBooks Database Server Manager. If you still have any doubt or need any kind of assistance related to QuickBooks then feel free to contact our certified Proadvisor, or directly dial +1-855-441-4417 toll-free, we are just one call away from you.
QuickBooks Database Server Manager
QuickBooks Database Server Manager allows you to configure the multi-user access, where multiple users can work on the same company file at the same time. This tool is very useful, especially when you are dealing with multiple versions of QuickBooks because it enables you to work with different versions of QuickBooks Desktop.