If you have been previously using the Quicken accounting software but for some reason, you want to convert your Quicken files into QuickBooks then you can use the QuickBooks ‘Utilities’ option to convert from Quicken or you can use the Quicken Converter to perform this task.
In this article, we’ll tell you how to convert from Quicken to QuickBooks step by step using both methods.
Things to Know Before Converting from Quicken to QuickBooks
These are the list of few important things that you should consider and do before converting the Quicken file to QuickBooks.
- The process of file conversion from Quicken to QuickBooks is irreversible i.e. once Quicken file is converted then it cannot be revert back and you won’t able to use these files in Quicken again.
- Make sure to create a backup of the Quicken data that you want to convert, in case you may have to access this data in Quicken software.
- If you’ve used Quicken software on Mac, then first you need to convert Quicken Mac files into Windows file because QuickBooks only convert Quicken windows files.
When to use Quicken Converter Tool
- You’ll need to use the Quicken converter when the version of Quicken software is not the same as QuickBooks version. For example, if you want to convert files of Quicken 2017 to QuickBooks 2019, then you’ll need a Quicken converter.
- If the version of both Quicken and QuickBooks are of the same year i.e Quicken 2019 to QuickBooks 2019 then you don’t need a Quicken converter.
- As we mentioned above, Neither QuickBooks utilities or Quicken Converter cannot convert Quicken for Mac files. You need to convert Quicken Windows or create a new QuickBooks Company file instead.
How to Convert from Quicken to QuickBooks using Utilities
Below mentioned are the steps for converting Quicken to QuickBooks using the in-built ‘Utilities’ option.
- Open QuickBooks and from the top menu bar select the ‘Files’ option.
- From the drop-down menu, go to the ‘Utilities’ option.
- And then go to the Convert<From Quicken.
- Now locate and open the Quicken file with (.QDF) file extension on the computer.
- Follow the on-screen instruction to complete the conversion process.
Convert Quicken Files to QuickBooks using Quicken Converter
- First, download the Quicken Converter the same version as your QuickBooks Desktop from Intuit official website.
- After downloading Quicken Converter, open the application file and accept the terms and conditions and click the ‘Next’ button.
- After finishing the installation process of Quicken Converter, click on the ‘Finish’.
- To start converting, select the option ‘I am transferring data from Quicken for Windows’ and then Get Started.
- And then you need to browse the Quicken files that you want to convert and for this select ‘Open a data file located on this computer’.
- When you found the Quicken file with file extension (.QDF), double click on the file.
- Finally, click on the ‘Convert’ option to start migrating data from Quicken to QuickBooks.
- Now, you can save the converted file on the computer for using it QuickBooks later.
Frequently Asked Questions
How to convert from Quicken to QuickBooks Online?
It is not possible to directly convert from Quicken to QuickBooks Online but there is an alternate method i.e. first convert from Quicken to QuickBooks Desktop as we showed you above and then convert the QuickBooks Desktop to QuickBooks Online. You also have another option in which you need to convert Quicken files to (.CSV) format and then import that file into QuickBooks Online.
How to convert a Quicken file into (.CSV) format?
To convert a Quicken report into (.CSV), open the file you want to convert and then select the ‘Export’ option from the top menu bar and then click on the ‘Export to CSV file’ option. Give a name and choose a location for the file on the computer and then Save.
We hope that you found our article on how to convert from Quicken to QuickBooks valuable as well as useful.
We’ve explained how to convert from Quicken to QuickBooks using both utilities and Quicken Converter tool in simple steps.
But we recommend you to consult from an expert before converting. For this, you can have assistance from our team of QuickBooks ProAdvisors, our team consists of certified and experienced accounting professionals. You can get in contact with us via a 24/7 toll-free number +1-855-441-4417 for instant support.