QuickBooks Statement Writer (QSW) is like an add-on package to create professional financial statements that are dealing with Generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP). With QuickBooks Statements Writers, you can generate customized, professional business reports from QuickBooks Company. This balances the statement with variations in QuickBooks. Your all work is performed in the Excel window, after starting a new report.
QuickBooks Statements Writers (QSW) has three main parts:
- The QuickBooks company file that includes your data.
- Report Designer window that allows you to customize the report.
- Microsoft Excel demonstrates the concluding output and lets you perform modifications.
QuickBooks Statements Writers(QSW) is accessible in QuickBooks Premier Accountant, Enterprise Accountant and Enterprise Solutions 12.0 and later. This was referred to in prior versions of QuickBooks as Intuit Statement Writer (ISW).
Steps To Use and Navigate QuickBooks Statement Writer (QSW)
Smart Guide to Procedures
QSW gives you several choices for customizing financial reports. This is a very brief summary of the original report creation:
- Open QuickBooks and go to the QuickBooks Statement Writer symbol on the top of the window, and later in the opening dialog, click on Design New Report.
- Now, go to the Report Designer Screen 1 – Report Content, go with the navigation features to select all the records and documents that you need to cover in the report and then manage your choices in the order you wish to.
- Next, on the Report Designer Screen 2 by 5, go with the features on every screen to customize the reports and documents involved in the report. On-screen 5, then you will save an account or the complete report. As a template, you can (if you want) use it again. Click on the Create Report button, when you are done with the above steps
- Reexamine the report in Excel. If required then merge or separate any account rows
- If in case, QSW task pane in Excel disappears, you can easily recover it by choosing the Show Task Pane symbol on the Statement Right toolbar.
- For additional customization of a statement in the report, use either the row property or the column property choice in the statement writer pane.
- Now, edit the presentation in the report property to change the font, layout, size, header, and footer.
- If required then add more further statements or financing documents to the report and save the report.
- Print a financial report. Before printing, always remember you have to first save the report by clicking on the option Save as then as a PDF from the Statement Writer menu.
Steps to set QSW preferences
If you want to set preferences, then click on the Statement Writer drop-down arrow and next choose to Preferences. Later click on the relevant section for the type of preference you need to set.
You can define the folders wherever your business reports and templates are saved.
- Go to the Browse option and then click on the right folder.
- Click on OK. Keep in mind it is always a good practice to select computer local folders or hard drives rather than network devices.
Points to Remember:
- If you select default save location for a network folder then MS Office asks you to log in with admin credentials to allow network folders for add-in programs like QSW. We strongly advise you to take help from your network administrator in this case.
- If in case, you want to change your default save locations settings to a network path, then QuickBooks Statement Writers will automatically run a network fix to set the relevant permissions. But, if you do not require QSW to run this network fix, then just click on the checkbox that states “Do not configure network permissions automatically. I’ll run the fix myself”.
- QSW ran a number of diagnostic tests when you first used it. If you update your system or MS Office, it will be suggested that you run them again.
This selection allows you to insert information about you or your firm so that you can easily enter the information into records. Once you insert all the information then it will be accessible for all future details. You are allowed to change the information at any point of time as you can. If you want to modify the accountant’s information and then open a statement that you have created earlier, it utilizes the fresh information in any cell filled with the accountant information that you have.
Formatting is the global settings that will be accepted for all the future reports; But, you can also customize the same settings for a single report, you just need to go to the Report menu, and later click on the Report Data property.
There are various formatting choices are available:
- Automatic Underlines: if you want to manage all underlines by yourself manually, then uncheck this checkbox, and you also don’t need to QSW to adjust totals and sub-total underlines automatically.
- Show: Click on this option to show decimal places, column headers on every page, and for inactivated accounts.
- Show Zero Balances As: Click on one of three methods to display by default zero balances – a dash, a blank, or a zero.
- Show Negative Numbers As: Click on one of five methods to display by default negative numbers, (100), (100), -100, -100, or 100.
- Divide All Data By: Click to divide all data by 1,000, 100, 10, or also not to divide it.
If you want to customize global styles and formatting, then use this screen. These will also be used for style for all future reports. If you need to modify a style, then you have to choose it from the styles list and then use it according to your selection of standard formatting features (font, bold, italic, etc.) to the toolbar. To view your changes, check out the preview pane on the right as you work.
Create, open and back up Financial Reports
If you are planning to start a new financial report, then you have to generate a minimum one business statement based on the Open QuickBooks file. You can design a report with many financial statements and supporting papers. If you want to open a current financial report, then you do not only proceed to work on the records and documents in the report but also you have to add further statements and documents.
Note: The arrangement of the records and documents you see in Excel does not define the order or content of PDF format in the final report. While printing the report, you can set the content and order.
Steps To create a Financial Report.
- Open QuickBooks, and go to the Accountant menu and later, click on the QuickBooks Statement Writer and then on the QSW opening window, click on Design New Report. If in case, you are already working in QSW, then you are allowed to create a new financial report from the Statement Writer menu or the QSW symbols.
- Insert the date and basis of the report: Various date ranges are described in QSW for your assistance. Besides, you can also determine a custom date range, if none of the predefined categories meet with your business requirements.
- Now, add statements and documents: You are free to add statements and documents in any arrangement, which is easy for you. The order here doesn’t define the order of the final report.
- The template is placed with terms like a chosen year and chosen period. The selected report indicates to the data you have previously entered.
- If you want to limit the list, then go to the left-hand table, and from the show list, click on the category. All statements and documents are default.
- If you want to add items to a report, then click on an item marked to the left of the statement and document templates, and then you need to choose the right arrow key to move it to the correct table labeled Financial Report Content.
- If you want to remove an item from the report, then click on an item in the right table and later, choose the left arrow button.
- If you want to remove all items from the report and again require to start over, then choose the double left arrow button.
- Insert report name: This name may be unusual from the name you used for the last PDF report. You will get this file in the default location.
Open the Financial Report
Financial reports use the .qsm extensions. If you require to open a financial report meanwhile, another financial report is previously open, then you will see a new occurrence of Excel that is initiated on your screen. Here, in this case, both reports are in the active state, and you can use all functions on one.
There are various methods to open a current financial report.
- Open QuickBooks and look for the Accountant Menu and click on the QuickBooks Statement Writer.
- Later, click on the open Existing Report on the QSW Welcome window.
- Open QSW, and look for the Statement Writer menu or click on the QSW icon.
In File location
If you require to access a record that is not saved on your default location, then look for the file location, and later, you have to double click on the file name and open it.
If you want to put your financial report on a network drive, then it is compulsory to configure the system administrator rights properly before opening the report on the network drive.
If you want to open a statement over the network, then it is necessary to make some one-time modifications by system administrators to the network and address some local security issues. Always remember that till the administrator executes the change, you need to copy the statement to a local drive before opening it.
Back up Financial Reports
Quickbook statement writer files are not involved in company backup, files should be backed up distinctly.
Follow these steps to make a copy of the QSW statements:
- Find the path of .QSM files where it is stored. To do this Go to the Statement Writer drop-down and click on Preferences).
- Note the paths that shown in the default save locations: C:\Users\[User name]\Documents\Intuit\Statement Writer\[Client Company name]
- Now, give a right-click on the Windows Start button and click on Explore.
- Later, Browse to the same path that is mentioned in step 2.
- After this, give a right-click on the Statement Writer folder and click on Copy.
- Paste the content into the expected backup location.
The Report Designer
The report designer is used to set and customize a report with the statements and documents by your own choice then later you have to save a record or the complete report as a template that you can use to create custom statements and a pattern for creating reports with clients and same chart of accounts as you can use again.
Templates enable you to store design options and formatting; it also saves your time because they restrict you from repeating the work that you have already completed.
Tips for navigating the Report Designer
If you are also planning for a report designer, then go through the below navigation features thoroughly that will help you.
- Use the tabs step by step to move over the screen: At the top of the screen, the numbered tabs enable you to move over the screen in a step-by-step method, while customizing the report.
- Use tabs to see statements and documents (right-hand side): Through 5 on the right side of screen 2, choose the tab to display the several details and documents in the current report.
- Use “drag and drop” from left to right, or right-click menu: Screen 2 over 4 mainly utilize the “drag and drop” and “right-click” feature. For customization, drag an item with your mouse from the toolbox on the left and release it in a statement on the right side. To display the menu, you can also right-click within a statement.
- Advanced Button: Screen 1 through 4 has an advanced button in the upper right corner of the screen, which shows a screen-specific list with some useful choices that you can select from for additional customization.
Note: Always design reports with functionalities of ease-of-use.
Now let’s discuss some essential features on every screen that you can apply to customize the report.
In the report content screen, you will be creating a “bundle”, or a combination of documents and statements that will be covered in the financial report.
- In the Report Contents screen, just use the basic features and navigation to select whatever you need to cover in the report (title page, balance sheet, etc.) and arrange your choice in the order you require.
- On the next screen, you will be capable to customize every document and record you select and you also will have the possibility to save a statement or the complete report, as a template that you can later use to create a related or same report.
Apply these essential points to customize the columns for every statement in the report.
- Add a column: Go to the drag/drop column list, click on a column, then drag-and-drop in the statement. Give a right-click into a column in the statement to demonstrate the menu, then later make a choice.
- Edit column header or dates: Go to the statement and give a right-click a column, then choose to Format column heading or Edit column dates, or you can also use the toolbar button for these tasks.
- Move a column: Go to the statement, click on a column, then later, drag left or right as you want.
- Delete a column: Go to the statement and give a right-click the column, then click on the Delete Column.
Apply these essential points to customize the columns for every statement in the report.
- Customize Rows
- Add a row: Go to the drag/drop row list, click on a row, then drag-and-drop in the statement. Give a right-click into a row in the statement to demonstrate the menu, then later make a choice
- Assign a row for a missing account: Go to the Accounts toolbox, click on a missing account, then later drag-and-drop it between the desired rows in the statement.
- Move a row: Go to the statement, click on a row, then later, drag left or right as you want.
- .Delete a row: Go to the statement, give a right-click the row, then click on the “Delete Row.”
- Customize total row types: There are four new aggregate types that are customizable in Excel. If you want to modify the formula for the total row in Excel, then click on to the Row properties area of the Statement Writer pane. Keep in mind, you are only able to change the SUM formula on this rows/accounting screen under the Report Designer. Now, double click on it to perform changes.
- Roll up or Separate Accounts
- Roll up accounts: Go to the statement, press and hold CTRL key while choosing the rows that you need to merge, later give a right-click to show the menu list, then click on the Roll Up Selected Accounts. Now you will see a small, red roll up indicator instantly for the joint account.
- Roll up missing accounts: Go to the Accounts toolbox, click on the missing account you need to add, then you need to drag and drop it directly to the expected row in the statement. Now you will see a small, red roll up indicator instantly for the joint account.
- Separate accounts: Go to the statement, a list of accounts will appear in the row pointing to a row with a roll-up indicator. If you want to separate them, you need to right-click on the row, then choose to a different account
- Insert Headers and/or Footers: Apply these essential points to customize the headers and footers for every statement in the report. Next, in Excel, you will get the other chance to edit the headers and footers just by ticking on the Statement Writer button and then click on the Edit Header / Footer.
- Use copy/paste: You can do essential copy and paste uses through the right-click menu.
- Type your own custom text: Go to the statement, put your cursor in the expected header or footer area, then easily start typing.
Review & Finish
This feature is used to review report information, you can also keep a statement or the complete report in the form of a template, and later generate the report. Keep in mind always that you will not be able to print the report from this screen, you will have to create the report as a PDF in Excel and then save before printing it.
- Review Statement Information: This label shows the report information before loading data into QuickBooks. This will let you look at any issues and make the necessary changes before generating a report.
- Memorize statements as templates: THis feature is used to remember statements to re-use (even beyond clients).
- Memorize the current statement: Click on the single-page symbol on the toolbar.
- Memorize all statements and documents as a report group: Click on the multi-page symbol. Then save time by using your custom templates to generate reports for new customers with the same chart of accounts.
- Launch report in QSW/Excel: If you want to view the actual data, customize formulas, and print, then it is compulsory to launch the report in QSW/Excel, you can do it just by clicking the Create Report button.
- Easily update a report: After creating a report for the customer, you just need to open the report and change the dates to update your information.
Hope, this guide helps you to understand how to use and navigate QuickBooks Statement Writer. But in case, if you have any issue or query then feel free to contact us on our toll-free+1-844-770-0699 and get instant help from our Intuit certified ProAdvisors.