If you have switched from a single-mode to multi-user mode there may be a chance that the multi-user mode doesn’t work and you face QuickBooks Error H202. However, this is an unusual error that you might not receive but it can pass on to the server of the other system. It may get errors on QB File Doctor saying *QBDBMgrN was not running on this computer”.
Now you can know the reason when QuickBooks is unable to switch to multi-user mode.
When does QuickBooks can’t switch to multi-user mode?
QuickBooks cannot switch to multi-user mode when:
- QuickBooks is not able to get the IP Address of the system.
- Configuration settings hosted can be wrong.
- Windows firewall is blocking information.
- Where you have saved the company file, anti-virus software is not giving access to the system.
There are few things to check to multi-user mode in QuickBooks-
- See that QB Database manager is running on the server/computer on which the file is hosted.
- You can go to the users opening QuickBooks file and get it to delete from the recently accessed list and then re-add it. There is an option at the end “Open file in multi-user mode”, maybe it is possible they have done it in single-user mode.
- If it happens that multiple QB company files are running on the same workstation, then both are not opened in multi-user mode.
- If you are hosting the file on the server, see that no one has selected “Host multi-user access”. Its come to an option “Switch to multi-user mode” that should be on and under it comes a sub-option “Host multi-user access” if you attempt to host, it takes intake of file and force for single-user mode.
How to keep QuickBooks in multi-user mode?
There are two ways to open the company file in multi-user mode automatically.
QuickBooks will open a file in single-user mode. You must configure QuickBooks in the way that the company file by default opens in multi-user mode each time.
- Open the QuickBooks version at the remote server desktop.
- In No Company Open box, go to Open or restore an existing company.
- You can choose Open a company file and select Next.
- Locate the QuickBooks file in your company directory and highlight it.
- Put a check-mark in the box Open in Multi-user mode there at bottom of the window.
Now when you will open the file in this computer, we will find it in multi-user mode.
The second one is to edit the QBWUSER.INI file and change the MULTIUSERMODE value.
- Navigate to the AppData folder. The default location is C:\Users\(username)\AppData\Local\Intuit\(Your QuickBooks Desktop version).
- Search for QBWUSER.INI and then open it using Notepad.
- Press Ctrl+F and then find MULTIUSERMODE.
- Change its value to “Y”(MULTIUSERMODE=Y).
- Save the file.
To prevent when the system reverts to the original value-
- Right-click the QBUSER.INI file.
- Go to Properties >> General tab.
- Check the Read-only box.
- Click on Apply and Save it.
Your QBW.TLG and QBW.ND files can be found in the same folder where you saved your QuickBooks company file. We will help to locate them as-
- Open your QuickBooks Desktop Company file.
- Go to Home page and then press F2 key.
- Look at the Location section in FILE INFORMATION.
You can see it below;
How to switch to multi-user mode in QuickBooks?
Following are the solutions that can help you fix this issue:
1. Use QuickBooks File Doctor
Download the QuickBooks File Doctor tool from Intuit website and run it. This tool will help you analyse whether your system is properly set up for using multi-user mode or not. Then check whether you are facing multi-user problem in QuickBooks.
2. Use Database Server Manager in QuickBooks
- Open Database Server Manager in your server computer by typing database in the start menu.
- If you find no folder locations, use browse to go to the folder storing company file.
- Click the OK button and then scan it.
By following the above steps, firewall permission will get repaired. Now you can check whether the Quickbooks multi-user issue is resolved.
3. Check each of the user computers to host mode.
Open QuickBooks file menu and then utilities on your computer. If Host multi-user access comes in the list, you can move to the next computer. That means your computer is not hosting company file.
After you have ensured that hosting mode is off on all user computers, check for the QuickBooks multi-user mode error.
4. Check whether QuickBooks Services are running
QuickBooks Services- QuickBooksDBXX and QBCF Monitor Service should be in running state to use multi-user mode on your computer.
5. Ensure that QuickBooks send data
This solution has two steps-
- Change settings of firewall or antivirus software.
- You can do file path testing to check if QuickBooks can communicate with the server.
6. Create a new Company file folder
You have to create a new folder for the company file on the hosting computer. Set up a folder and give it a Windows permission access so that company files can be shared. Copy .qbw file to the new folder and see that if you are able to open the company file in multi-user mode.
Hope this post helped you in any way. Here, we have discussed, what are the reasons that QuickBooks single-user mode cannot switch to multi-user mode and how you can do it is explained in detail.
If you are still facing any problem, our QuickBooks customer support team is always available to provide the most authentic and effective information to our customers. You can dial our toll-free number +1-855-441-4417 to reach us. Our team will provide you step by step solution. Thank you for visiting.