A QuickBooks portable company file is a condensed format that allows efficient transfer back and forth. It is the preferred format when we need to perform work in your books that we cannot do in an accountant’s copy.
If you want to create or restore a QB portable company file, this blog is for you. Also, if you don’t want to invest your time and effort doing this yourself, try hiring our QuickBooks support team.
- Your QuickBooks should be up to date before following these steps.
- Only administrator can do this because you should log in as the Admin to create and return a portable copy. If you give someone a portable copy, this person will gain access to all areas of QuickBooks. They will have the ability to add or modify your transactions. They can also change your Administrator password.
- Instructions for creating or restoring portable files vary depending on the QuickBooks Desktop version you use.
- If you are trying to resolve data problems, don’t overwrite the original file while restoring the portable copy. The best practice is to rename the original file before restoring the portable company file.
- If you are sending your company file to your accountant, consider using accountant’s copy. Refer to Accountant’s copy in QuickBooks Desktop: Overview
Creating a Portable Company file File
- 1. Open your QuickBooks file, click on the File menu in the top left of your screen, then click on Create Copy.
- 2. Click Portable Company File, then Next.
- 3. To “Save Portable Company File” screen, choose a location to save the file such as your desktop or your flash drive.
Restoring a Quickbooks Portable Company File
- 1. Go to the File menu and choose Open or Restore Company.
- 2. Select Restore a portable file and click Next.
- 3. Click the (company name).qbm file saved to the location you chose
- And click ok to open.
- 4. In the “Where do you Want to Restore the File” window, make sure to read the message, then click Next.
- To “Save Company As” screen, select the location where your QuickBooks company data file is stored. This generally defaults to the C:\Program Files/Intuit files\Intuit\QuickBooks, although your data file may be stored in a different location.
- If you use Windows 7, the storage is most likely in a different location, try C:/users/public/documents/Intuit/QB/Company Files. Please make sure before you save it that you see them.QBW file you used most recently and click on it to correctly name the restored file. This will overwrite the old company file, which you want to do.
- If you don’t get the message that asks you to type “yes” to delete permanently the old file, stop and call us before you do any work in the file, or else you may end up with 2 working copies and lose data.
- After restoring the file, if it is not obvious that our changes are included in the restored file, contact us to get a check figure before you do work in the file so that you can be sure you are working in the correct file.
Solution: Unable to create or restore a portable company file
Copy the QuickBooks company file on the desktop
- Open the folder where your file is saved.
- Right, click the file and select Copy.
- For creating a portable file, always copy a them.QBW file.
- For restoring a portable file, always copy them.QBM file
- Right-click anywhere on the desktop and select Paste.
- On your keyboard press and hold the Ctrl key then double-click the QuickBooks icon to get the No Company Open window.
- Try creating/ restoring a portable file.
Thanks for visiting us. Hope, the article would have help you. If you are looking for further support or finding a QuickBooks ProAdvisor, you should call our toll-free helpline number 1-855-441-4417.
- How to Create QuickBooks Desktop company file
- QuickBooks Conversion Tool – Convert Your QuickBooks Company Files
- Cannot Open QuickBooks Portable Company File