QuickBooks allows availing remote access from another computer. Not sure how to access QuickBooks remotely? This article will guide you completely by explaining what QuickBooks remote access is, its benefits and how you can download and set up the remote access tool to QB Desktop. Read the complete article and learn the process to set up along with its benefits. Still, facing a problem contact our QuickBooks toll-free: +1-844-405-0904
There are various situations when we need to access QuickBooks remotely. In a coronavirus outbreak too it’s better to set up a remote team for your accounting business.
QuickBooks has a number of unique features that fulfill the accounting needs of lots of users. The most unique feature is QuickBooks remote access. This feature not only limited you to access your QuickBooks files remotely but also allows you to access other files on your computer.
This QB access remote tool requires a monthly subscription fee. It requires the same system requirements as QuickBooks editions. So, now in this article, we will discuss how we access QuickBooks remotely, benefits, and many more.
Important: Please note that QB Pro and Mac does not support remote access tool.
What is QuickBooks Remote Access?
QuickBooks Remote Access is a secure way via which any user can access and work remotely from a local computer via an internet connection. With the help of Remote Access you can quickly and easily access your QuickBooks, email, and other programs and documents from anywhere, anytime. You can also transfer a file or folder between computers and easily print documents from your remote PC to a local printer.
Benefits of QuickBooks Remote Access
These are the following benefits of QB Remote Access:
- Between computers, you can transfer a file or a whole folder.
- It saves the time of travel and cost of office infrastructure for accountants.
- Allows copy and paste between remote and local PCs.
- From your remote PC to a local printer, you can easily print documents.
- Client or managers can track the activities of the accountants.
- Different users can collaborate on the same QuickBooks file
Security with QuickBooks Remote Access
Accounting activities need security checks. Be it offline operations or digital ones. Since accessing complete accounting information over a software sound remotely, security questions are bound to arise.
If you are planning to go with cloud-based solutions, like QuickBooks Online or QuickBooks Hosting, security is assured. Intuit authorized hosting is selected to assure the customer’s data is secure. Most providers follow 256-bit encryption. The encryption level is more or less the same with QuickBooks Online and QuickBooks Remote Access Tool.
However, if you are using QuickBooks remote access tool, security concerns will depend on the capabilities of that tool. Therefore, opt for a recognized solution and stay safe.
How to Download & Cost of Accessing QuickBooks Remote Access Tool
You can easily download it from Intuit official remote access websites.
Important Notice: From January 1, 2014, free trials of QuickBooks Remote Access is not available but, you can still be able to sign up for the paid service by selecting the “Add to Cart” link.
QuickBooks Remote Access is a paid software and is available in two versions.
- Full Desktop Access ($7.75/month)
- QuickBooks Access ($3.95/month)
Note: You can also use a third party QuickBooks remote access software from the market that works similarly to QB Remote Access tool.
Supported Remote Access Options For QuickBooks
Hosting QuickBooks Desktop on Cloud
QuickBooks, installed on the server of hosting providers can be accessed by the authenticated user from anywhere over the internet. All features of the desktop software are available for the user, and it even supports cross-device(desktop, smartphone, laptop, and others) operations.
This service gives an edge for the accounting experts as they don’t need to make any effort with the installation or maintenance of QuickBooks as the hosting service provider deals with those tasks.
Recommendation: This option is best for professionals and businesses that need QuickBooks remote access frequently and also requires improved collaboration among users
QuickBooks Online is one of the best solutions from Intuit that works entirely on the cloud. You can access it from any internet connecting device anytime and start working on your accounting tasks. The number of clients who work together over it at a time will depend on the plan that you choose.
Somehow, this option doesn’t offer all the features of the QuickBooks Desktop. In fact, QuickBooks Online is completely different from QuickBooks Desktop and QuickBooks Hosting. Also, there are a few changes to the user, which can affect the client experience.
Recommendation: This options is best for those professionals and businesses that need remote access for QuickBooks frequently, but the requirements with QuickBooks features are not vigorous.
Using QuickBooks Remote Access Tools
This tool offers you to connect with the remote computer on which QB Desktop is installed. This software works on the Cisco WebEx tool and able to perform basic tasks such as copying files between local and remote computers, print files on the remote server using the local printer, access QuickBooks data folders and files remotely, etc.
This tool is easily available on the website of Intuit. There are also many third-party software are available in the market with the same functionality of QB remote access tool.
Recommendation: This tool is best for those users who not require frequently remote access.
Setup Remote Access to QuickBooks
- In the Intuit website, Sign up for QuickBooks Remote Access.
- Log into your account on the QuickBooks Remote Access website. Before login, launch a Web browser on the computer from which you need to access QuickBooks remotely.
- For downloading the remote access tool installation file. Click on “Setup computer“.
- In the “Nickname” field enter a computer nickname, and then click “Next“.
- Place a checkmark next to the options to initiate each time you log into a remote session. The options include: “Automatically reduce screen resolution to match“, “Use full-screen view by default“, “Disable this computer’s keyboard and mouse” and “Make this computer’s screen blank.”
- Place a check-mark next to the applications to access remotely on this computer. For a minimal monthly fee, access only your QuickBooks accounts. Click the “Next” button.
- Check the box for the authentication option to use. Either enter a passcode or use a phone number. When you access QuickBooks remotely, The passcode option allows you to enter the passcode on the login page. The phone number option needs that the tool calls you, and then prompt you for the access code each time. Click the “Finish” button.
Remote Accessing QuickBooks
- Launch a Web browser on your remote computer and log in to your account on the QuickBooks Remote Access website.
- Where you defined computer nickname check that box, and then click on “Connect”.
- Authorize your desktop, using either password or phone authentication. When the remote tool calls you and prompts you for a passcode enter the passcode on the phone
- First, Click on Remote Access drop-down menu and then click the “End QuickBooks Remote Access Session” when you finish your session.
Unfortunately, after May 31, 2020, access to add-on services will be discontinued for QuickBooks Desktop for Windows 2017. This includes all versions of QuickBooks Desktop Pro, Premier, and Enterprise Solutions 2017. We will notify you soon after any update.
Best Recommendation For Remote Work
As COVID-19 is spreading very fast globally, every organization and business allows their employees to work from home. So here we discuss the best practices for remote work.
- Employees should have the proper tools and facilities which they require to work efficiently: This combines messaging applications, video conferencing agents, and secure internet access. For more, a fully maintained system.
- Motivate employees to choose a proper workspace in their home: It’s very important to choose a separate workplace at home(apart from family & life) to concentrate and stay engaged in the work properly.
- Employees should aware when they are supposed to be online and working, and check their communication availability, and also which meetings are supposed to attend virtually.
- Employees should take precautions to keep business data by avoiding public networks. Only work in a private space or networks like a home office.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I access my QuickBooks company from another computer?
You can access the QuickBooks company file securely from any computer through remote access. Here’s the process to open a company file through remote access:
1. Install the QuickBooks Database Manager on the remote computer.
2. Turn Network Discovery on and Password Protected Sharing off.
3. Locate and open the company file.
Can QuickBooks be installed on 2 computers?
QuickBooks can be installed on 2 computers for 1 user in a single-user mode. You should own both systems and can’t use both at the same time. It enables you to use one installation at the office and the other at home to ensure that you use each system separately and run only one installation at a time.
Is QuickBooks Remote Access Tool safe?
Yes, QuickBooks Remote Access Tool is totally safe and helps you to connect QuickBooks access from one system to another.
Hope, these steps will help you to easily access QuickBooks remotely. If still you have any problem or query, please feel free to contact our QuickBooks ProAdvisor on +1-844-405-0904. They will assist you with instant priority to solve your issue.