This error occurs when attempting to open a QuickBooks company file (.qbw) that is stored in a folder on the same computer that runs the QuickBooks Database Server.
“QuickBooks is unable to determine the cause of the error on the local file” can occur when the QuickBooks data service either doesn’t have correct access permissions or they weren’t read correctly i. e., a single user configuration or a user on the computer hosting the company file in a multi-user configuration.
How to Fix QB Error Code 6189?
Learn in detail to fix QuickBooks error code 6189 here.
There are two solutions suggested by Intuit to resolve this issue. If the first solution does not work follow the second solution for best results.
Solution 1: Use QuickBooks File Doctor Tool
You can download and install QuickBooks File Doctor. Running the application will scan and diagnose your QuickBooks file to verify the cause of the error and fix it.
Solution 2: To fix this problem Manually Error Code -6189
- Rename the transaction log file (.tlg)
- Verify the user permissions assigned to QBDataServiceUser for your version of QuickBooks
- Ensure that the QuickBooks files are not encrypted
- Copy the file to the desktop -> Open the file directly from the desktop -> if it opens there could be folder damage where the QBW was saved
- If the login is successful by the other users you will have to resolve the data damage
- If log in other computer is not possible you can open a sample company file and restore a backup of your company file.
To contact U.S based QuickBooks expert – Dial 1-855-441-4417