If you are using QuickBooks accounting software then you’ll surely have to move QuickBooks company file from one computer to another or On & Off the network. The reason may be to fix the company file or your accounting data is moved to another computer. In this article methods to move company files are mentioned with ease, just go through the article and follow the methods to move the company file. Still having an issue related to it, contact us on :+1-818-295-3510
One of the easiest ways to move your QuickBooks company file is first to create a backup of the company file and then restore it on the computer where you want it. Or you can simply copy and paste the entire QuickBooks folder to another computer. Although by doing so, some files like custom templates and forms are not transferred to the new computer because these files are not part of the backup. So, if you want to know how to move the entire QuickBooks company file data read this full article.
Move QuickBooks Company File to Another Computer
NOTE: Moving QuickBooks company file to another computer will not affect the product license.
- First of all, you need to install the QuickBooks Desktop on the new computer.
- Then, go to the first computer where QuickBooks Desktop is originally installed and then create a backup of the company file.
- Also, remember to give a unique name to the backup company file so that you can easily find it later.
- Save your backup company file in a location on your computer so that you can easily find it later when required. We recommend saving it on Desktop.
- After that, you need to transfer the QuickBooks Backup company file to the new computer. There are many different ways to transfer the file from one computer to another, you can either use a USD Drive or an External Hard Drive or you can also share the file over the same network.
- Then, on the new computer, first, you need to open QuickBooks and then restore the company file in it. You can easily find the file due to its unique name.
- After moving the company file, you can also download the latest tax table if you are using payroll service as well.
Move QuickBooks Company File to Another Location on the Same Computer
Follow the steps carefully if you want to move the QuickBooks company file to a different location but on the same computer.
- First, you need to create a backup of the QuickBooks company file.
- When you are creating the backup give it a unique name so you can find it later and this will also prevent data overwriting.
- Save the backup company file to a location on your computer from where you can easily find it, we recommend saving it on the QuickBooks Desktop. NOTE: If your company file is hosted on a network then save the backup on the local drive instead of the network.
- Finally, restore the backup company file on the new location or folder, and keep in mind to give a different name to the company file from the original file.
Once your company file is restored then you can use it as your main QuickBooks company file and also remember to add ‘Old’ in the original company file this will prevent any confusion.
Move Custom Templates and Forms that aren’t part of the Backup file
When you create a backup of the QuickBooks company file, it does not include add-ons like QuickBooks Loan Manager. So, if you want to that data too then you need to move it separately.
Follow the steps mentioned below carefully for moving custom templates and forms.
- Open the computer where you have restored the QuickBooks company file and then go to the QuickBooks Start menu.
- After that, open the Windows File Explorer and then search the folder named as Restored_[CompanyFileName]_Files.
- Open the folder and find the files that you want to move, then copy the files and then paste them exactly the same location as mentioned below in the table.
|QuickBooks Letters and Templates:||C:\Program Data\Intuit\QuickBooks [version]\QuickBooks Letter Templates|
|Printer Setting (PrintEng.ini, wpr.ini, and QBPrint.qbp):||C:\Program Data\Intuit\QuickBooks [version]|
|Spell Checker (spell.ini and UserDictionary.tlx):||C:\Program Data\Intuit\QuickBooks [version]|
|Financial Statement Designer (FSD clients):||C:\Program Data\Intuit\Intuit\QuickBooks\Company Files\FSD\Clients Note: For Windows 7, the path is C:\Program Data\Intuit\|
|Financial Statement Designer (FSD data):||C:\Program Data\Intuit\QuickBooks [version]\Components\FSD\Data|
|Cash Flow Projector (.cfp):||[Company Name].qbw|
|Business Planner (.bpw):||[Company Name].qbw|
|Loan Manager (.lmr):||[Company Name].qbw|
Alternate Method: Move entire QuickBooks Data Folder
You can also move your entire QuickBooks company file folder if you don’t want to create a backup of your QuickBooks company file. Follow the steps carefully to move the entire folder of QuickBooks.
- First of all, open the QuickBooks software and then open the company file that you want to transfer.
- Then, from the keyboard press the F2 button or press Ctrl + 1. This will open the product information page of the QuickBooks.
- After that, you need to check where your QuickBooks company file is saved on the computer. For this, go to the File information section.
- Next, go to the Windows Start button and then open the Windows File Explorer.
- In the File Explorer, find the folder that contains your QuickBooks company file.
- Once you find the folder, right-click on the folder and then select the Copy option.
- At last, you can either paste this file in an external hard drive to move it to another computer or you can simply paste it on the different locations on the same computer.
In order to restore this, open QuickBooks and then select the Restore or Open the existing company file option and then go to the location where you have saved the QuickBooks data folder.
Restore using the Intuit Data Protect
NOTE: Depending on your Intuit Data Protect subscription Plan i.e. Single file or Entire system, there could be some non-QuickBooks files that will not include in the backup.
Follow the steps mentioned below to restore the file using Intuit Data Protect.
- First of all, open the original computer and then create a backup of your QuickBooks company file.
- On your new computer, you need to login to Intuit Data Protect (IDP).
- Then, restore the backup file using the Intuit Data Protect.
The following are the files that are moved and restored.
Files that are inside the QuickBooks Data Folder:
- Image and Logo files.
- Cash Flow Projector (.cfp) files.
- Business Planner (.bpw) Files (Only for QuickBooks Desktop Premier and Enterprise)
- Transaction log (.tlg) files.
- Loan Manager (.lmr) files.
- Network data (.nd) files.
Files (or add-ons) that are from the other locations:
- QuickBooks Templates and Letters
- Fixed Asset Manager
- QuickBooks Statement Writer (Only for QuickBooks Premier Accountant and Enterprise)
- Spell Checker
- Printer Settings (QuickBooks can recreate these files)
The Bottom Line
Above, in this article, we have discussed how you can move QuickBooks company file to another computer or the same computer but on a different location. We have also mentioned how to move files that are not part of the QuickBooks Backup files that you created like custom templates & forms and how to create a backup using the Intuit Data Protect.
If you have any queries related to the company file or if you are facing any issues related to the QuickBooks accounting software then you should contact our team of Intuit Certified QuickBooks ProAdvisor for an instant solution. Call us on our 24/7 toll-free customer support number +1-818-295-3510 for more information.