In this article, we will discuss some manageable steps to Open a company file located on a remote computer. Wizxpert helps you find the simple steps to access the QuickBooks Desktop company file that stored over the internet. Below are the several steps and also discuss the requirements for Open a company file located on a remote computer. Go through with the following steps:
- The requirement to access QuickBooks Desktop remotely
- Steps to open a company file located on a remote computer
The requirement to access QuickBooks Desktop remotely
- You need a Map-server/host computer as a network drive for your personal workstations. Note: If you are facing any issue for mapping network drives using UNC then we advised you to try using the server’s IP address. If you are not comfortable doing this, contact your IT professional.
- Set up computers that will access files for multi-user mode.
- You need to already set the folder where want to save the company file is saved.
Suggested Read: QuickBooks Remote Access Tool – How to Use & Features
Steps to open a company file located on a remote computer
Solution: Install the QuickBooks Database Manager on the remote computer
- First, you have to download & install QuickBooks Desktop on the main computer.
- Choose Switch to Multi-user Mode under the QuickBooks File menu option.
- In the Multi-User Hosting Setup Required window select Yes. Note: Keep in mind, QuickBooks Desktop automatically installs and runs QBDBMgrN.exe (QuickBooks Database Manager file)as a background service. This .exe file must be running on the computer, even if the QuickBooks desktop is not open.
- On the Multi-user setup information window, click on OK
- Add the required users by going to the company and then choose users and roles and then click on new.
Optional Step: Turn On Network Discovery and Turn off Password Protected Sharing
The server needs to turn on for network discovery and is apparent to try to open the file using the UNC path. In addition, if password protected sharing is turned on, Windows will ask for a network password. If this occurs, you can log in using the network password or turn off the feature.
Perform this process on all workstations required to remotely access QuickBooks on a server or host computer and network.
- First, go the start menu, on the search bar type Control Panel and click on it.
- Go to the Network and Sharing Center, then click on Change advanced sharing settings.
- Open the Profile type that you are using currently.
- Choose Turn on network discovery, under the Network Discovery.
- Click on Turn off password protected sharing under the Password protected sharing option.
- Click on Save to save all the changes.
Suggested Read: QuickBooks Unable To Connect To Remote Server
Steps to Locate then open the company file
- Go to the File menu and choose Open or Restore Company.
- Click on Open a company file, then click on Next.
- Later, browse the location of your company file, where it is placed. For Example: If your company file is placed in drive E, see the company files name (E 🙂 in the menu.
- Choose the company file with file extension .qbw from the given menu and click on Open.
- If required, Insert your user name and password.
These above steps are for QuickBooks users require to open a company file located on a remote computer. Follow the above steps sequentially, hope you will simply open a company file that is placed on a remote computer. If in case, you are facing the same error, then you can directly contact our QuickBooks support team by dialing our toll-free +1-844-770-0699 and directly connect with our Intuit Certified ProAdvisors and get instant help for your Query.