The invoice shows the customer’s information, date and time of the transaction, product’s information, and the amount of product that the customer has to pay. In this article, you’ll learn how to create an invoice in QuickBooks Online and Desktop.
Depending on the type of transaction there are a few different methods by which you can easily create invoices for vendors and customers.
Advantages of Creating Invoices in QuickBooks
These are a few benefits of creating invoices in QuickBooks software.
- It helps in managing the (A/R) Account Receivables.
- Both the buyers and the sellers can track the payment.
- You can easily Email the Invoice to the customer.
- You can also create a custom template for your invoices.
- It also serves as a legal record of the transaction between buyer and seller.
- Recording all the sales transactions helps in filling the right amount of tax at the end of the fiscal year.
How to Create an Invoice in QuickBooks Online
Follow the below steps to create invoices or bills for vendors and customers in QuickBooks Online.
Create a New Invoice
- Open QuickBooks Online, click on the +NEW button and then select the ‘Invoices’ option.
- In the customer drop-down menu, select the customer for whom you want to create the invoice.
- Then in the column on the right side, enter the customer Email ID.
- Enter the Billing and shipping address in their respective boxes.
- Fill the Invoice Date and from the term drop-down menu select the due date. (NOTE: Net 30 means payment due in 30 days or Net 45 means payment due in 45 days from the date invoice was issued.
- Then provide the shipping method (If used any), shipment date and tracking ID.
- Now in the Product/Service column, select the product or service you sell to the customer. You can also add a little description of the product.
- Enter the quantity, rate and the tax option of the product.
- If you want to send the invoice now select ‘Save’ and continue further or you can also select ‘Save and Close’ if you want to send the invoice later.
If you want to send a paper invoice click on ‘Print or Preview’ or you can also schedule recurring Invoice by clicking on the ‘Make recurring’.
Review the Invoice
To review the invoice you created
- Open the Sales menu, then click on the ‘Invoices’.
- To review the invoices of a specific customer, Select the Customer menu and then open the Customer profile to see their all invoices.
Record Invoice Payment
You need to record invoice payment manually if you are using external payment methods like ACH or credit cards, etc.
QuickBooks will put the invoice in the account payable until you get paid and after receiving payment, your invoice will automatically move to the account receivable.
How to create an Invoice in QuickBooks Desktop
Follow these steps to create a new invoice for the customers and vendors QB Desktop.
Create a new Invoice
- On the Home Screen, select the Customers menu from the top bar,
- In the customer-menu, click on the create invoices.
- Select the customer from the Customer: Job drop-down menu. For a new customer click on the Add New option.
- Select the class and template for the invoice.
- Next, fill the basic information like Issue date of Invoice, Billing and Shipping address, Terms like Net 30 and Invoice number.
- In Item Field, Select the item. (Note that the description and amount field will be automatically filled according to the information you fed while setting up the item.)
- (Optional) If you want to apply a discount to the item then you need to create a discount item first.
- From the Home screen, go to the Lists and then click on the item list.
- Next, right-click anywhere on the screen and select New. Choose discount from the Type drop-down menu and then enter the Item Name/Number & a description.
- In the amount or % field enter the discount amount or percentage. If the discount amount is different for different products leave the field empty.
- In Account, Select the account you want to use to track the discount.
- Select the Tax code and then OK.
- If you want to create another invoice then select ‘Save and New’ otherwise ‘Save and Close’.
Create an Invoice for a Sales Order
Sales Order is used to confirm a purchase, therefore, it is mandatory to create an Invoice for that sales order. There are methods to do this, let’s discuss both.
From the Sales Order Tab
- Open the Sales Order tab and then click on the ‘Create Invoice’ on the top right corner.
- Now a pop-up window will appear with two options.
- Create Invoice for all the Sales Order(s): Select this option if you want to add all items in the invoice.
- Create Invoice for the selected items: Select this if only want to add some particular items.
- Now enter the quantity of each item in the ‘To Invoice’ box. Enter ‘0’ if you don’t want to add that item in the invoice.
- Lastly, select ‘Save and Close’.
From the Invoice Tab
- Open the QuickBooks Home screen and select the ‘Customers’ option on the top menu bar.
- After that click on the ‘Create Invoice’ option.
- In the create Invoice tab, select the customer from the Customer: Job drop-down menu.
- After that, when the sales order window will appear, select the sales order for which you want to create the invoice.
- Now enter the quantity in the ‘To Invoice’ box and then ‘Save and Close’.
Create an Invoice for an Estimate
When a customer accepts your estimate and ready to pay a fixed amount mentioned on that estimate then it needed to be converted into an invoice.
From the Estimate tab
- Open the Estimate tab and click on the ‘Create Invoice’ on the top right corner.
- After that, a pop-up window named ‘Create Progress Invoice based on Estimate’ will open with three options.
- Create Invoice for entire Estimate
- Create Invoice for a percentage of the entire estimate like 50%.
- Create invoice for selected items or for different percentages of each item.
- Edit the quantity and information of items when the invoice appears.
- At last, Save and Close.
From the Invoice tab
- Go to the QuickBooks home screen and then select the ‘Customers’ option on the top menu bar.
- Here select the customer and after that, a window with all estimates will pop-up.
- Then select the estimate for which you want to create an invoice.
- After that fill the required information and then ‘Save and Close’.
Frequently Asked Question
How to customize the QuickBooks Invoice template?
First, you need to open the Create Invoice window then at the bottom click on the customize option. After that from the list select ‘Manage template’, here you can see different types of templates that you can customize.
How can I send an Invoice from QuickBooks?
There are many ways through which you can easily send the invoices to the customers or vendors. Some of them are E-Invoice, Using a Mobile app, from the invoice screen, and send invoices in the batch.
We’re hoping that you found this blog on how to create an invoice in QuickBooks very useful. There is no doubt that using accounting software like QuickBooks will surely help in the growth of your business. Our team of Intuit’s Certified QuickBooks Proadvisor can also help in achieving your goals. We offer to help you with accounting or financial services and any other QuickBooks software related problems. If you want to know more about the service we offer call us at our 24*7 toll-free customer service number +1-855-441-4417.