Sometimes a user might have mistakenly created two same invoices or issued an invoice to the wrong customer and it is very important to delete the duplicate invoice in QuickBooks before it gets attached to the customer’s bill. To do this you should be know how to delete an invoice in QuickBooks.
Luckily, we’ve got a simple method by which you can learn how to delete invoice in QuickBooks as well as void a bill or payment check.
Difference between Delete and Void Invoice in QuickBooks?
Before knowing how to delete invoice in QuickBooks, it is important for you to know the difference between deleting and voiding invoices.
Deleting an invoice means you wipe out all related information too like invoice number and customer’s name on the other hand by voiding an invoice you only change the invoice amount to zero other information like invoice number and customer’s name will remain in records for future references.
How to Delete Invoice in QuickBooks
It is recommended for you to delete only those invoices that have not printed or distributed to customers. Otherwise, you’ll not have any prior record of the invoice in QuickBooks.
Follow the below steps to delete the duplicate or wrong invoice.
- Open QuickBooks Online and go to ‘Transactions’ in the left side navigational panel.
- In ‘Transaction’ and then select ‘Sales’.
- From the list of all transactions open the invoice you want to delete.
- Click on the ‘More’ button at the bottom after the invoice is open.
- In ‘More’ click on the ‘Delete’ option.
- At last, a pop-up window will appear asking if you want to confirm your action.
How to Void Invoice in QuickBooks
You can void invoices if you want to keep the record like the invoice or reference number and vendor’s name in the QuickBooks. To void an invoice follow the below procedure.
- Open QuickBooks, then go to the homepage and click on the ‘Create Invoice’ icon.
- Here from the list select the invoice you want to void.
- After you find the desired invoice, click ‘Edit’ from the menu bar.
- In the edit menu, you’ll find the option to Void or Delete Invoice.
- Click on the void invoice button, then Save and Close to apply changes.
Void Invoice from the previous year in QuickBooks
If you directly void the invoice from the last year then the income generated will be removed on the date of invoice i.e. last year. To remove income from the current year, you need to create a credit memo first and then void the invoice.
- Go to the ‘+’ icon and then click on the ‘Credit memo’ option.
- Here, choose the same customer whom invoice you want to void.
- Then, Enter the customer or vendor details and the amount you want to void.
- Save and close to create a credit memo.
- Now you can simply void the invoice.
Frequently Asked Questions
How to view Voided/Deleted Invoices?
To review your invoices that you recently voided/deleted, go to Reports<Accountant and Taxes<Voided/Deleted transactions Summary.
Should I void or delete the invoice in QuickBooks?
If you want that QuickBooks keeps the record of the transaction but cancel the payment amount to zero you can void invoice and if you want to remove all traces of transaction then you can delete an invoice in QuickBooks. We recommended you to void first and then delete the invoice.
How to delete multiple Invoices in QuickBooks?
Currently, QuickBooks doesn’t provide any feature or option to delete multiple invoices at the same time. You need to view and then delete the invoice one by one.
We hope that now you’ve learned how to delete an invoice in QuickBooks but before doing this you should know when to delete and void an invoice in QuickBooks. If you are still finding difficulties in understanding the concept of QuickBooks and some accounting aspects, then you can have assistance from our team of QuickBooks ProAdvisor. Our professionals are Intuit’s certified and possess years of experience. To know more about the accounting services we provide contact us via our 24*7 toll-free customer support number +1-855-441-4417.