Looking for how to use QuickBooks Desktop on two computers or QuickBooks Multi-user set up? Not to worry, we are here to aid you with an article, Most people don’t know how to install and use QuickBooks on multiple computers at the same time. You will be glad to know that it is possible. In this article, we will be sharing tips to set up and sync QuickBooks Desktop on two or more computers. Go through the complete article to learn the details to change QuickBooks to multi-user. For More Info. contact us toll-free: +1-844-405-0904
It is possible to synchronize QuickBooks on two or more computers with the help of multi-user mode features. Using this feature more than one person can work on a single company file at the same time.
It saves your time and makes your business more productive. This feature is helpful when you have a large number of employees and every employee requires random access to QuickBooks.
There are three versions of QuickBooks Desktop which allow a different number of users to work on the same file at the same time. You can choose among them as per your need.
|QuickBooks Desktop Premier
|QuickBooks Desktop Pro
|QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise
One thing to make sure is that to set up a multi-user network in QuickBooks you must have a separate licensed copy of QuickBooks installed in all the systems in which you want to run QuickBooks simultaneously.
Table of Contents
How to Set up and install a multi-user network or QuickBooks Desktop on two computers
If you want to share your QuickBooks Desktop for window data with your multiple team members. You need to set up a multi-user network so that you can easily access company files from other systems too.
This setup requires some changes in your QuickBooks Desktop, Windows, and server.
Step 1: Setting up QuickBooks Desktop
On a multi-user network, one system hosts your company files. This is your server system. All other systems connected to your network that don’t host your company files are known as workstations.
- First, download and install QuickBooks Desktop on your server system.
- Click Custom and Network Install for the install type.
- Then click on I’II be using QuickBooks Desktop on this computer option, And I’ll be storing…if you have the required full version of QuickBooks Desktop on your server system. Either you just want your server system to host your files, then click on I Will Not Be Using QuickBooks Desktop On This Computer…
- After that follow the on-screen instructions to finish the installation.
We suggest you keep your QuickBooks Company files on your server system’s local hard drive. It will be easy for you to share them over the network.
Map network Drive-in window
But if you want to put your files on a mapped network drive, then follow these steps:
While mapping in a network drive in Windows, you can get entrance to a folder that is stored in another drive, server, or computer over a network. You can easily access files from the shared storage through Mapping.
Mapping network drive for (Windows 8/10 and Windows 7)
For Windows 8/10:
- First, search This PC in a window search bar. After selecting This PC.
- In the Computer tab option, select Map a network drive.
- Then select any unused drive and select Browser.
- Then persist to the network location where your QuickBooks Company file is stored.
Note: If you are not able to map a network drive using the UNC, then try using the IP address of the server.
- In the last click OK then finish it.
- After finishing reopen the QuickBooks company file from the new mapped drive.
For Windows 7:
- Select Computer, in the Start Menu.
- Then choose the Tools menu then click on Map network drive. If you don’t find the Tools menu, then press the Alt key to show the menu bar.
- After that select any unused drive letter then select Browse.
- Then visit your network location where your QuickBooks company file is saved.
Note: As we already told you if you will face any issues in mapping the network drive using the UNC, then try it using the IP address of the server.
- After that select OK to Finish. Your new drive will seem in the previous window as a Network Drive.
- Then through a new mapped drive reopen your QuickBooks company file.
- Well, you have done, as you mapped your network drive and now it is easy for you to access your QuickBooks company file from any other drive or system.
Step 2: Set or Change Folder Permission
Follow the steps to set up folder permissions on your server computer. Make sure the folder holding your company files has permission to be on your network.
Each and every version of the QuickBooks components requires to be updated for QuickBooks to work as a multi-user. The multi-user feature of QuickBooks can resolve the time-consuming issue. To help determine and solve these errors, you need to download and run the QuickBooks File Doctor, which probes if your system is properly set up for multi-user mode or not.
Some important points to note before performing any action:
- Be ensured of each and everything before proceeding with further steps.
- Make sure the installation directory has the right permission.
- If you are running Microsoft Windows Home Edition, then the security tab is not available in normal mode, you need to restart your system in Safe Mode to complete the process. For that
- First, Restart the system, and then press F8 to open the Advanced Boot Window.
- Then select Safe Mode on the Advanced Boot window, and press Enter.
- The QBDataServiceUserXX depends on your version of QuickBooks Desktop. To investigate and resolve the error, Download and run the QuickBooks File Doctor, Example: QuickBooks Desktop 2018: QBDataServiceUser28, QuickBooks Desktop 2017: QBDataServiceUser27
- Workstations that have to host multi-user access enabled can inadvertently go into Alternate Hosting mode and take ownership of a company file. When this happens, other users will not be able to open the file.
Set up a folder and Windows access permission to share company files:
Confirm that authorities and permissions are set correctly
- Right-click on the company file folder to select Properties
- Click on Advance, on the Security tab
- And then select QBDataServiceUserXX and click on the Edit option
- Make sure all the given below settings are set to Allowed
- Traverse Folder/ Execute File
- List Folder/Read Data
- Read Attributes
- Read Extended Attributes
- Create files/Write Data
- Create Folders/Append Data
- Write Attributes
- Write extended Attributes
- Read Permissions
If any reason your permissions are not set properly then follow these steps:
- Right-click the company file folder and click on Properties.
- And then click on Security and select Edit
- Then select QBDataServiceUserXX and click on Full Control, then Allow.
- Click the Apply option, then OK.
Change Folder Permission
- First, open File Explorer (Window+E)
- Then go to the parent folder, and select the Properties option.
Note: You are required to process these steps for every folder on the list but all folders may not apply to each installation as they apply to a particular version of QuickBooks Desktop.
- C:\Program Data\Intuit\Entitlement Client\v8
- C:\Program Data\Intuit\Entitlement Client\v6.0
- C:\Program Data\Intuit\Entitlement Client\v5
- C:\Program Data\Intuit\Entitlement Client\v3
- C:\Program Data\Intuit\Entitlement Client
- C:\Program Data\Intuit\QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions X.0 (X = version) or C:\Program Data\Intuit\QuickBooks 20XX (XX = year)
- C:\Program Data\COMMON FILES\INTUIT
- C:\Program Data\COMMON FILES\INTUIT\QUICKBOOKS
- C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\Intuit\QuickBooks\FAMXX (XX = year)
- C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\Intuit\QuickBooks\Company Files.
- On the Security tab, click Everyone.
Note: If the Everyone option is not listed in the Group or User Name box, select Add and type in Everyone, then choose OK.
- Select Full Control, then select Apply and OK.
- Select Everyone on the Security tab
Note: If for any reason Everyone is not listed in the Group and User Name box, then need to select Add and type in Everyone, then choose OK.
Set Windows access permissions to share company files
Be sure that QuickBooks has the right access permission that can help stop future issues while working with your company files across the network.
Windows 10, 8 and 7
- Windows+E to open File Explorer
- Then Right-click that folder containing your Company file.
- After that click on the Properties option,> then Sharing > Share Add.
- Select the QBDataServiceUserXX that corresponds to your version.
- To access full control over the file set the permission level.
First, take control/ownership of the file
- Select the folder for taking ownership of and select Share.
- Go to Advanced Security > Change > Advanced > Find Now.
- Select the user and click OK.
Grant Full Control
- Select your folder and then the Share option.
- Go to the Advanced Security option> Add > Select a principal.
- Click the Advanced option> then Find Now.
- Select the user and click OK
- Choose Full Control and OK.
Windows Server 2012
Before proceeding further steps, make sure that File and Storage Services are installed.
- Press Ctrl+R to open Run Command
- Then type ServerManager and click OK.
- Click File and Storage Services > and then Shares.
- On the Task drop-down, choose New Share. A list of File Share Profiles shows. You can learn about what is the differences between different profiles by clicking and reading their descriptions.
- Click SMB Share – Quick.
Note: SMB Share – Quick is the default profile. This selection can vary.
- In the share location selection, choose Type a custom path > Browse to locate the folder you wish to share.
- Choose the folder > then Next.
To know more go through Setting up a folder and windows access permission.
Step 3: Install Database Server Manager (Verify an existing setup)
Use QuickBooks Desktop Manager to verify an existing setup. Scan the company file in the system where the file is located.
Make sure the database server manager is installed in your system. This helps you to share your company files with other systems over the network.
Step 4: Set admin rights
When you are going to sign in with the user account make sure that the account has Windows admin rights and the Database Server Manager has admin rights.
Step 5: Use of Database Server Manager
After installing use Database Server Manager to scan the folder that holds your company files.
After finishing you will see this file in the “QuickBooks company files found”. Now, you can access the company files in these folders through other systems via a network.
Step 6: Turn on hosting
Great! Everything is set up outside the QuickBooks, now you only need to turn on Multi-user Access on your server. Make sure that your server system is be only one in which this feature is turned on.
- Then go to QuickBooks Desktop, gan then into the File menu, and flutter over Utilities.
- Click Host Multi-User Access. Then click Yes to confirm.
Now you can easily host your company files through your network.
Read this article to learn more about hosting features in QuickBooks and troubleshoot hosting errors.
Whenever you want to access the multi-user network, all you need to do is sign up as a user with admin rights in the server system and workstations.
How Do I Install QuickBooks on a Second Computer
Follow these to install and use QuickBooks Desktop on your second computer.
- Open your second computer and install QuickBooks Desktop software.
- Once you installed QuickBooks, go back to your older/first computer and create a backup copy of your company file.
- If they are connected, copy the backup file to your new one via a flash drive or another external device or network.
- After that, restore all the backup data on your new PC.
Can I install QuickBooks Desktop on multiple Computers?
Yes, you can install the QuickBooks Desktop on multiple computers. But you need to have a multi-user license.
How many users can use QuickBooks Desktop?
If you are using QuickBooks Desktop then the number of users who work on the same company file depends on the QuickBooks subscription that you purchase. For example, if you are using Quickbooks Desktop Pro then 3 users can work on the same company file while having a QuickBooks Premier license then 5 users can work on the same company file.
Can I use the same QuickBooks license on two computers in different locations?
Yes, you are allowed to use the same QuickBooks license on the two computers that are located in different places.
How to share QuickBooks reports on different computers?
There are many ways to share QuickBooks reports or accounting data on different computers. You can export the reports including the PDF or Excel and share them through emails or through the file sharing tool.
- How do I open the QuickBooks on multiple computers?
- To open the QuickBooks on Multiple computers, follow the given steps:
- First, you need to install the QuickBooks Data Server Manager on the server.
- Now you have to enable multi-user access.
- After doing the above steps all the authorized users can easily access the same company file.
- This method has authorized every multi-user to use the QuickBooks programs with a valid license.
Hopefully, after reading this article, you will be able to use Quickbooks Desktop on multiple computers. That’s all in this article. If you need to hire QuickBooks ProAdvisor, you can do so by dialing our toll-free number +1-844-405-0904.