Many people are curious to know whether they can install QuickBooks on 2 computers. You will be glad to know that it is possible. In this article, we will be describing how to use the QuickBooks desktop on two computers or multiple computers.
It is possible through Multi-user mode features that using which more than one person can work on a single company file at the same time. It saves your time and makes your business more productive. This feature is helpful when you have a large number of employees and every employee requires random access to QuickBooks.
There are three versions of QuickBooks Desktop which allow the different number of users to work on the same file at the same time. You can choose among them as per your need.
|QuickBooks Desktop Premier||5 Users|
|QuickBooks Desktop Pro||3 Users|
|QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise||30 Users|
To set up a multi-user network in QuickBooks you must have a separate licensed copy of QuickBooks installed in all the systems in which you want to run QuickBooks simultaneously.
Read Also: How to Move QuickBooks to a New Computer?
Set up and install a multi-user network or QuickBooks Desktop on two computers
If you want to share your QuickBooks Desktop for window data with your multiple team members. You need to set up a multi-user network so that you can easily access company files from other systems too.
This set up requires some changes in your QuickBooks Desktop, Windows, and server.
Step 1: Setting up QuickBooks Desktop
On a multi-user network, one system hosts your company files. This is your server system. All other systems connected to your network that doesn’t host your company files are known as workstations.
- First, download and install QuickBooks Desktop on your server system.
- Click Custom and Network Install for the install type.
- Then click on I’II be using QuickBooks Desktop on this computer option, And I’ll be storing…if you have the required full version of QuickBooks Desktop on your server system. Either you just want your server system to host your files, then click on I Will Not Be Using QuickBooks Desktop On This Computer…
- After that follow the on-screen instructions to finish the installation.
We suggest you keep your QuickBooks Company files on your server system’s local hard drive. It will be easy for you to share them over the network.
Map network Drive-in window
But if you want to put your files on a mapped network drive, then follow these steps:
While mapping in network drive in Windows, you can get entrance to a folder that is stored in another drive, server, or computer over a network. You can easily access files from the shared storage through Mapping.
Mapping network drive for (Windows 8/10 and Windows 7)
For Windows 8/10:
- First, search This PC in a window search bar. After selecting This PC.
- In the Computer tab option, select Map a network drive.
- Then select any unused drive and select Browser.
- Then persist to the network location where your QuickBooks Company file is stored.
Note: If you are not able to map a network drive using the UNC, then try using the IP address of the server.
- In the last click OK then finish it.
- After finishing reopen the QuickBooks company file from the new mapped drive.
For Windows 7:
- Select Computer, in the Start Menu.
- Then choose the Tools menu then click on Map network drive. If you don’t find the Tools menu, then press the Alt key to show the menu bar.
- After that select any unused drive letter then select Browse.
- Then visit your network location where your QuickBooks company file is saved.
Note: As we already told you if you will face any issue in mapping the network drive using the UNC, then try it using the IP address of the server.
- After that select OK to Finish. Your new drive will seem in the previous window as a Network Drive.
- Then through a new mapped drive reopen your QuickBooks company file.
- Well, you have done, as you mapped your network drive and now it is easy for you to access your QuickBooks company file from any other drive or system.
Step 2: Set or Change Folder Permission
Follow the steps to set up folder permissions on your server computer. Make sure the folder holding your company files has permission to be on your network.
Each and every version of the QuickBooks components require to be updated for QuickBooks to work as multi-user. The multi-user feature of QuickBooks can resolve the time-consuming issue. To help determine and solve these errors, you need to download and run the QuickBooks File Doctor, which probes if your system is properly set up for multi-user mode or not.
Some important point to note before performing any action:
- Be ensured for each and everything before proceeding for further steps
- Make sure the installation directory have the right permission
- And if you are running Microsoft Windows Home Edition, then the security tab is not available in normal mode in it, you need to restart your system in Safe Mode to complete the process. For that
- First, Restart the system, and then press F8 to open Advanced Boot Window.
- Then select Safe Mode on the Advanced Boot window, and press Enter.
- The QBDataServiceUserXX depends on your version of QuickBooks Desktop. To investigate and resolve the error, Download and run the QuickBooks File Doctor, Example: QuickBooks Desktop 2018: QBDataServiceUser28, QuickBooks Desktop 2017: QBDataServiceUser27
- Workstations that have hosting multi-user access enabled can inadvertently go into Alternate Hosting mode and take ownership of a company file. When this happens, other users will not be able to open the file.
Set up folder and Windows access permission to share company file:
Confirm that authorities and permissions are set correctly
- Right-click on the company file folder to select Properties
- Click on Advance, on Security tab
- And then select QBDataServiceUserXX and click on the Edit option
- Make sure all given below settings are set to Allowed
- Traverse Folder/ Execute File
- List Folder/Read Data
- Read Attributes
- Read Extended Attributes
- Create files/Write Data
- Create Folders/Append Data
- Write Attributes
- Write extended Attributes
- Read Permissions
If any reasons your permissions are not set properly then follow these steps:
- Right-click the company file folder and click on Properties.
- And then click on Security and select Edit
- Then select QBDataServiceUserXX and click on Full Control, then Allow.
- Click the Apply option, then OK.
Change Folder Permission
- First open File Explorer (Window+E)
- Then go to the parent folder, and select the Properties option.
Note: You require to process these steps for every folder on the list but all folders may not apply to each installation as they apply to a particular version of QuickBooks Desktop.
- C:\Program Data\Intuit\Entitlement Client\v8
- C:\Program Data\Intuit\Entitlement Client\v6.0
- C:\Program Data\Intuit\Entitlement Client\v5
- C:\Program Data\Intuit\Entitlement Client\v3
- C:\Program Data\Intuit\Entitlement Client
- C:\Program Data\Intuit\QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions X.0 (X = version) or C:\Program Data\Intuit\QuickBooks 20XX (XX = year)
- C:\Program Data\COMMON FILES\INTUIT
- C:\Program Data\COMMON FILES\INTUIT\QUICKBOOKS
- C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\Intuit\QuickBooks\FAMXX (XX = year)
- C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\Intuit\QuickBooks\Company Files
- On the Security tab, click Everyone.
Note: If Everyone option is not listed in Group or User Name box, select Add and type in Everyone, then choose OK.
- Select Full Control, then select Apply and OK.
- Select Everyone on the Security tab
Note: If for any reason Everyone is not listed in Group and User Name box, then need to select Add and type in Everyone, then choose Ok.
- Click Full Control, and click on Apply then Ok.
Set Windows access permissions to share company files
Be sure that QuickBooks has the right access permission that can help stop future issues while working with your company files across the network.
Windows 10, 8 and 7
- Windows+E to open File Explorer
- Then Right-click that folder contains your Company file.
- After that click on Properties option,> then Sharing > Share Add.
- Select the QBDataServiceUserXX that corresponding to your version.
- To access full control over the file set the permission level.
First, take control/ownership of the file
- Select the folder for taking ownership of and select Share.
- Go to Advanced Security > Change > Advanced > Find Now.
- Select the user and click OK.
Grant Full Control
- Select your folder and then Share option.
- Go to Advanced Security option> Add > Select a principal.
- Click Advanced option> then Find Now.
- Select the user and click OK
- Choose Full Control and OK.
Windows Server 2012
Before proceeding further steps, make sure that File and Storage Services are installed.
- Press Ctrl+R to open Run Command
- Then type ServerManager and click OK.
- Click File and Storage Services > and then Shares.
- On the Task drop-down, choose New Share. A list of File Share Profile shows. You can learn about what is the difference in different profiles by clicking and reading their descriptions.
- Click SMB Share – Quick.
Note: SMB Share – Quick is the default profile. This selection can vary.
- In share location selection, choose Type a custom path > Browse to locate the folder you wish to share.
- Choose the folder > then Next.
To know more go through Setting up a folder and windows access permission.
Step 3: Install Database Server Manager (Verify an existing setup)
Use QuickBooks Desktop Manager to verify an existing setup. To scan the company file in the system where the file is located.
Make sure the database server manager is installed in your system. This helps you to share your company files with other systems over the network.
Step 4: Set admin rights
When you are going to sign in with the user account make sure that the account has Windows admin rights and the Database Server Manager has admin rights.
Step 5: Use of Database Server Manager
After installing use Database Server Manager to scan the folder that holds your company files.
After finishing you will see this file in the “QuickBooks company files found”. Now, you can access the company files in these folders through other systems via a network.
Step 6: Turn on hosting
Great! Everything is set up outside the QuickBooks, now you only need to turn on Multi-user Access on your server. Make sure that your server system should be only in which this feature is turned on.
- Then go to QuickBooks Desktop, gan then into File menu and flutter over Utilities.
- Click Host Multi-User Access. Then click Yes to confirm.
Now you can easily host your company files through your network.
Whenever you want to access the multi-user network, all you need to do sign up as a user with admin rights in the server system and workstations.
Hopefully, after reading this article, you will be able to use Quickbooks Desktop on multiple computers. That’s all in this article. If you need to hire QuickBooks ProAdvisor, you can do so by dialling our toll-free number +1-855-441-4417.