QuickBooks can be defined as an accounting software package that is mainly used for small and medium-sized businesses and offer accounting applications and also used for cloud versions. The software is popular among small business owners who had no formal accounting training.
Due to the large scale usage of QuickBooks, the software sometimes shows up errors. None of the errors is worrisome and can be resolved within a few minutes.
This blog is all about acquainting users with several ways to Set up a folder and Windows access permissions to share company files in QuickBooks. Accounting Software has completely changed the way in which the business manages its accounting department and its various sections.
This article will help you to resolve your problem with the help of several methods or you can hire Wizxpert for QuickBooks Technical Support.
Cause of this error
This error generally occurs when QuickBooks tried to access your company file.
- When you convert your company file from an earlier version over a network.
- Some files are missing in your installation of QuickBooks.
- When there are insufficient permissions for your network server, Windows user, or QBDataServiceUserXX.
- When your firewall or security software is blocking QuickBooks files.
- When your company file or the shared folder is damaged.
- If more than one computer trying to host the company file.
- When you are using a non-U.S. or non-Canadian version of Windows or you have set some language other than English as your Regional Language in Windows.
- The way the file is accessed (Mapped Network Drive or UNC Path).
- When file extension is may be .qbm or .qbw.adr.
Things to keep in mind
- Read the full article before start troubleshooting
- Make sure the installation directories must have correct permissions.
- If you are running Microsoft windows home edition make sure the security tab is available on the normal mode if not-
- Restart the computer and press F8 until the advanced boot window opens.
- Go to the advanced boot window select safe mode and press enter.
- The B data service user XXX depends on your version of QuickBooks desktop
- Your computer may have hosting multi-user access enabled that can inadvertently go into the alternate hosting mode and take over the ownership of a company file. When this happens, other users will be unable to open the file.
Set up the folder permissions
To verify if the permissions are set correctly or not follow the given below steps:
- Right-click on the folder that contains the company file and select Properties.
- press advanced on the security tab.
- Select QBDataServiceUserXX and select Edit.
- ensure that the following settings are set to Allowed.
- Traverse Folder/Execute File
- List Folder/Read Data
- Read Attributes
- Read Extended Attributes
- Create Files/Write Data
- Create Folders/Append Data
- Write Attributes
- Write Extended Attributes
- Read Permissions
If your permissions aren’t set correctly, follow these steps:
- Right-click on the folder that has the company file and select Properties.
- Select Security, then Edit.
- Select the QBDataServiceUserXX and click Full Control, then Allow.
- Click Apply, then OK.
Change folder permissions
- open file explorer by windows+E.
- Right-click on the parent folder and then select properties.
- Follow the given below steps for each folder on the list.
- C:\Program Data\Intuit\Entitlement Client\v8
- C:\Program Data\Intuit\Entitlement Client\v6.0
- C:\Program Data\Intuit\Entitlement Client\v5
- C:\Program Data\Intuit\Entitlement Client\v3
- C:\Program Data\Intuit\Entitlement Client
- C:\Program Data\Intuit\QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions X.0 (X = version) or C:\Program Data\Intuit\QuickBooks 20XX (XX = year)
- C:\Program Data\COMMON FILES\INTUIT
- C:\Program Data\COMMON FILES\INTUIT\QUICKBOOKS
- C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\Intuit\QuickBooks\FAMXX (XX = year)
- C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\Intuit\QuickBooks\Company Files
- C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\Intuit\QuickBooks\Sample Company Files\QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions X.0 (X = version) or C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\Intuit\QuickBooks\Sample Company Files\QuickBooks 20XX (XX = year)
- select Everyone from the Security tab .
Note: If Everyone is not listed in Group or User Name box, click Add and type in Everyone, then choose OK.
- Select Full Control, then click Apply and OK.
Procedure to Set Windows access permissions to share company files
Make sure that QuickBooks has the right level of access can help prevent future issues when working with your company files.
Windows 10, 8 and 7
- Open the File Explorer, by Windows+E on your keyboard.
- Right-click on the folder that has your company file.
- Select properties then choose to share and click on to share add.
- Select the corresponding QBDataServiceUserXX for your version.
- Set up the permission level of the users to full control and select share.
Take ownership of the file
- Select the folder you want to take ownership of and select share.
- Go to advanced security and select change then advanced and then click on find now
- Now select the user and click ok.
Grant Full Control
- Choose the folder and click on Share.
- Go to advanced security then select add and then select a principal.
- Select advanced and then find now
- Select the user and click ok
- Select Full Control and OK.
Windows Server 2012
Before performing the following steps, make sure the File and Storage Services is installed in your computer
- Open the run command by Ctrl+R on your keyboard
- Type in server manager and select ok
- Select file and storage devices then click on shares
- Go to the task drop-down, select a new share. Then a list of file share profiles must be shown. You can learn here about the differences between the profiles by clicking on each profile and then read the description.
- Select SMB Share – Quick.
Note: SMB Share – Quick is the default profile and can be varied.
- Now go to the share selection and select type custom path then click Browse to locate the folder you wish to share.
- Select the appropriate folder and select a folder then next.
We hope now you can set up folder ad windows access permission to share company files if you are still unable to do it you can contact to Wizxpert QuickBooks support team.