In QuickBooks Pro, there is a feature that allows multiple employees of the company to access QuickBooks from two different computers or more multi-users. By using the multi-user mode you’ll be able to access the QB accounting software from different computers. This feature can be proven very useful and convenient. The article here is to describe the details related to installing QuickBooks multi-user setup, Go through the article to learn more. To know More contact our QuickBooks ProAdvisor toll-free: +1-818-295-3510
Therefore, in this article, we’ll show you how to install QuickBooks Pro on a server for multiple uses. If you are running a small business then QuickBooks Pro is one of the best options for accounting and bookkeeping.
Things Need to Know Before Setting up Multi-User Setup in QuickBooks Pro
There are a few things that the user needs to know before setting up Multiple users in QuickBooks Pro.
- For using QuickBooks on the different computers each user requires a valid license of the QuickBooks software.
- Only authorized users can sign in to the QuickBooks to access the company files.
- For sharing company files with multiple users, you’ll need a multi-user license or multiple single-user licenses.
- QuickBooks Pro only gives permission to 3 users for access QuickBooks Company data while QuickBooks Premier can authorize up to 5 users and in QuickBooks Enterprise you can have as much as 15 users to access QuickBooks Company files from different computers.
Check QuickBooks User License
Before installing QuickBooks Pro on the server for use on the different computers, it is important for you to check how many licenses you own in the QuickBooks. Follow the below steps to check licenses in QuickBooks Pro.
- First, you need to open QuickBooks and then press F2 to see the product information.
- If there are not enough licenses then QuickBooks provides an option through which you can buy some more additional licenses within the QuickBooks Pro or Premier for existing version. For this, go to Help<Manage My Licenses<Buy Additional User License.
Install QuickBooks Pro on Server – Multiple Desktops
For using QuickBooks Pro on different computers you need to install the QB Pro on every single workstation in which you want to access the QuickBooks Company Files.
Below are the steps that show how to install and set up QuickBooks on multiple desktops.
- First, insert the QuickBooks installation CD and then wait for the QuickBooks installer to be opened.
- If the QuickBooks installer window doesn’t open automatically then go to the Start menu and open the QuickBooks CD folder.
- In the QB installation CD folder, find the file named “Setup.exe” and then double-click on it.
- If you downloaded the QuickBooks Software from the official intuit website then you need to click on the QuickBooks installation file to open the QB installer window.
- After the QuickBooks Installer window is open, click on the ‘Next’ option to go to the terms and conditions of the license agreement.
- Here, tick on the box saying ‘I accept terms and conditions of the license agreement’ and then click on the Next.
- Then the next page is to Choose the Installation type. There are two types of installation types first is the Express and the second is the Custom and Network option.
- If you’ve selected the Express option then you’ll be receiving recommendations on every step of installation. Follow the below steps if you’ve chosen the Express option.
- Click on the Next button and then enter the license and Product Number in their respective fields. (NOTE: if you are installing QuickBooks using the CD then the Product and license number should be written on the CD and if you downloaded the QuickBooks from the official website then the Product and License number will be sent to the email you registered with intuit while purchasing the software.)
- Now, if you’ve selected the Custom and Network option in the previous step then click on the Next to go to the Custom and Network Options page.
- On the next page, there are a few different options. You need the select the appropriate one by clicking on the radio icon. Then click on the ‘Next’ button
- Now in the Upgrade or Change Installation Location Page, click on the change the install location option and then click on the Browse to change the current installation location. Then click Next to start the installation process.
- After reviewing the settings, click on the install to begin the installation.
- At last, click on the ‘Finish’ to close the QuickBooks Installation window.
You need to follow these steps on all the different computers on which you want to use the QuickBooks Pro Multi-user mode.
Install QuickBooks Database Server
Now after installing the QuickBooks software on every workstation you require. You need to install the QuickBooks Database server so that every computer can access the QuickBooks company files from their computers remotely.
Follow the below steps on how to install QuickBooks Pro on a server for multiple uses.
- Before installing the QuickBooks Pro on a server you need to close all the running programs on the computer. For this, you can use shortcut Alt+F4 to close the programs.
- Next insert the QuickBooks CD to start the installation and if you downloaded the file from the official website open the QuickBooks setup file.
- After accepting the license agreement. Click on the Next button.
- Now select the Custom and Network Options and choose the option where you don’t need the Product license but you’ll be able to share the QuickBooks Company files through a server.
- In the Next window select the option saying ‘More than One User’ and ‘Install Database Server Only’. After that select the option where you’ll be granting other computers to access company files. Click on the Next button.
- After the installation complete. Click on the Finish and then open QuickBooks.
- Now in the QuickBooks Database Server, click on the ‘Scan Folders’ tab.
- In the Scan folder tab, click on the ‘Add Folder’ and select the folder in which your company file is stored. If you are not sure where the company files are you can select the ‘Scan all’ option.
- Click on the ‘Scan’ and after the scan is complete click on the ‘Close’.
Configure QuickBooks Database Server Access
- Open QuickBooks and then go to Files<Utilities menu.
- After that select the ‘Host Multi-User Access’. You’ll be required the administrative Authority to enable this feature.
- Next, go to the ‘Company’ menu and then select the ‘Set up Users and Passwords’ option.
- In the next window, click on the ‘Set up user’ and ‘Add Users’ options.
- Now, add a username and a password for every user you want to grant access. Select the access and changing or deleting transaction options for the users. After that click on the ‘Finish’ option.
- Now, open QuickBooks on each computer and then go to file and then ‘Open Company File’ option.
- At last, find the company file you want to open and then enter the username and password configured to each computer to access the company files.
We hope that you found this article on how to install QuickBooks Pro on a server for multiple uses useful and now you’ll be able to access your company file from the different multiple computers remotely.
But if you are facing any difficulties while installing the QuickBooks Pro or installing the database server you can have an assist from our team of certified QuickBooks ProAdvisor. The only thing you need to do is to call our 24/7 toll-free customer support number +1-818-295-3510.