Are you looking to fix locked files error in QuickBooks Desktop? Then here search will end as we have provided all the the query related answers in this Article. Here you will get several solutions to your related issue, go through the page and get your error resolved. If it still troubles you then contact us our QuickBooks proAdvisor consult you:+1-888-202-8743
Sometimes you are facing errors like “file in use” or different errors that provisionally not allowing you to use your company file in QuickBooks Desktop for Windows. These kinds of errors are known as locked file errors. You can face these errors in many forms:
- Company File in use. Please wait.
- Only one user at a time is allowed to do (a task).
- Another QuickBooks user is currently performing a task that must finish before you can continue.
- Sorry, you cannot change this (transaction) now. (Another user) is currently doing a task that uses that in this transaction.
- The automatic entry of (transactions) is being skipped because (another user) is accessing them.
You do not need to worry about your company file, everything is good. You just need to perform a few steps according to your error message. So, we are here with the steps on how to fix locked file errors. Check out the below steps to get rid of this error.
Solutions To Fix Locked File Errors
Here, we will discuss every possible error related to the locked company file, go with the steps according to your error message.
When the error states another user is doing something
In that situation, you can only start your work when the other user completes their work. If you are aware of the user who is working this time, then you can ask for heads-up when they are done with their work.
If you are not sure about the error, this error message occurs due to another user, then check out the other solutions to try.
When the error consistently refers to a specific user
If the error consistently leads to a particular user, and in reality, that user is not doing any task in QuickBooks, then go with the below steps:
- If you have the user that refers to the error then you need to close and reopen the QuickBooks on their workstation.
- And, in other workstations, open the QuickBooks and look for the Company menu and click on Users, and next click on View Users.
- If you have the user that is referred to in the sign out the error of QuickBooks on their workstation.
- In such a situation, go to the list of users. If that particular user is no longer shows as logged in, you need to do the task without the error. If still the user displays as logged in, go with the solutions below for both “Waiting for Company File” and “error on multiple workstations.”
When the error states “Waiting for company file” or “Company File in Use. Please Wait”
These error messages normally symbolize performance issues. AS an instance, network concerns, database problems, conflicting programs, and also the server or workstation that does not satisfy with the system requirements for QuickBooks. To know how to fix performance issues refer to this article, QuickBooks Performance Issues.
When the error arises on multiple workstations
Check out below the solutions for this error.
Solution 1: Check for multiple host computers and stop hosting on all workstations
- Go to your QuickBooks and open it.
- Next, click on the File menu, and choose Utilities.
- Here, if Stop Hosting Multi-User Access displays on the menu list, then click on it and later click on Yes to verify or confirm.
- If in the menu list, you will see Host Multi-User Access arrives, then proceed to the next step.
- Now, quit the QuickBooks.
- Now, you need to repeat the above steps on all the workstations that do not host the company file.
- Reopen the QuickBooks and then attempt to do the task that prompted the error. If still, you are getting the same error, go on to solution 2.
Solution 2: Stop and restart QuickBooks services on the server
- Go to your server and keep in mind, on all your workstations QuickBooks should have closed.
- Next, go to the Start menu and later click on Run.
- Now, go to the Open field, type services.msc, then click on OK.
- From the name column, click on QuickBooksDBXX. The item you choose totally depends on the version of QuickBooks Desktop which you are using:
- QuickBooksDB30 = QuickBooks 2020
- QuickBooksDB29 = QuickBooks 2019
- QuickBooksDB28 = QuickBooks 2018
- Click on the Stop link. Note: This step will terminate all user’s access from the company file.
- Click on the Start link. This step will allow users to access the company file again while they are signing in.
- Reopen the QuickBooks and then attempt to do the task that prompted the error. If still, you are getting the same error, go on to solution 3.
Solution 3: Use the QuickBooks Tool Hub on the server
The QuickBooks Tool Hub is a very helpful tool to fix common problems. Check out the below steps to know how to these steps to fix this error
- First, you need to download the tool and then install the tool hub on your server computer.
- After installing open the tool hub and go to the Program Problems tab.
- On the Program Problems tab, you need to run all the tools. When you are done with all the tools, Re-open the QuickBooks, and then attempt to do the task that prompted the error. If still, you are getting the same error, go on to solution 4.
Solution 4: Reinstall QuickBooks on the server
Do a clean install of QuickBooks Desktop, to do this first you need to consider the following steps in your mind.
- First, you need to download the installer for your QuickBooks according to the version which you are using.
- Don’t forget to keep your license number handy. Your license number must be on the authentic packaging or if you bought a digital version of QuickBooks then go to your purchase confirmation email and note down the product year and version of your QuickBooks.
Note: You can retrieve all information from your account management portal.
Steps to Uninstall QuickBooks Desktop
If you run into problems while uninstalling QuickBooks, stop troubleshooting. Maybe this is happening due to some other problem with your computer. Then we recommend you to contact your IT professional.
Step 1: Remove QuickBooks
- Go to the Windows Start menu. and look for the “Control Panel”, and click on the Control Panel and open it.
- Click on Programs and Features or Uninstall a Program.
- Now, go to the list of installed programs, choose the version of QuickBooks Desktop for which you are having the problem.
- Click on the Uninstall/Change and next click on Remove. Click on Next. Here, If you are not able to see this option, then log out from the current account and log in back into Windows with admin credentials
Step 2: Reinstall QuickBooks Desktop
When you are completed with step 1, reinstall QuickBooks Desktop.
When the error occurs on only one workstation
If the error is occurring only on a user’s workstation, there may be a problem with their QuickBooks or Windows permissions. Below are the steps to fix the issue.
Solution 1: Create a new user in QuickBooks
- First, open your QuickBooks, and go to the Company menu and click on the Users, and next Set up Users and Roles.
- Later, go to the Users and Roles window, and click on New. Go to the User Name field, add a name. If you require, you can add and confirm a password.
- Next, go to the Roles window, and click on a role, then click on Add, and hit on OK.
- If you want to make other changes to the role, then click on the Role List tab, and next click on Edit. if required, add or reassign permissions, and later choose the OK option.
- Click on Close in the Users and Roles window.
- Now, on the current workstation sign out from QuickBooks. Then again login with the freshly created user. Examine the user’s access once to sure that all setup is good as you want.
- Try performing the task with a new user. but still, you are dealing with the same error, proceed to the next solution 2.
Solution 2: Create a new Windows user with admin rights
- In this solution, first, you need to create a new Windows user with admin credentials.
- Next, log in to Windows with the newly created user account on the workstation.
- Go to your desktop and right-click on the QuickBooks icon and click on Run as administrator. This will allow you to do the task on the workstation without perceiving the error.
If in case, all the above-discussed solutions fail for you then feel free to reach our certified team of ProAdvisors and get instant help for your queries related to accounting and bookkeeping. We are here to serve you anytime soon. We welcome you with your issue and be more than happy to help you out.