Wanna fix QuickBooks has stopped working, won’t open, or QuickBooks not responding when opening? Here in this article, we have provided the complete solution. This type of Error is such a typical issue. QuickBooks has stopped working or QuickBooks not responding to error messages display on the screen when the user tries to open QuickBooks Desktop. Here we will discuss how to get rid of this type of error. If the problem continues contact our QuickBooks ProAdvisor toll-free : +1-844-405-0904
Main causes why QuickBooks has Stopped Working
- The company name is too long
- Missing or Damaged QBWUSER.INI file.
- Corrupted Hard Drive
- Damaged Windows operating system
- Program files that are damaged
- System resources are low
- Installation error
- Maybe Conflict in some program
Indications of QuickBooks stopped working
Here are the some indication so that you can know your QuickBooks has stopped working.
- Your system shuts down automatically.
- QuickBooks not respond and the error message will display on your screen again and again.
- Device stucks and do not recognize input commands
- Your QuickBooks software does not open
How To Fix QuickBooks Not Responding Error
QuickBooks not responding or QuickBooks not working is a common QuickBooks error. There are several possible reasons and also the solution available to resolve this error. You have to follow the given instruction to get rid of this type of QuickBooks software error.
Read also: QuickBooks sync manager not working
- Restart your personal device (Desktop/PC)
- Open QuickBooks Accounting Software
Use shortcut keys for opening the QuickBooks Software
- Click on Start >> All programs >>> Right-click on QuickBooks
- Press Ctrl Key and then open QuickBooks software.
You can easily resolve your problem by choosing any one of the solutions:
Solution 1: Restart your system and temporarily disable your anti-virus program
- Before performing any steps, reboot/restart your computer. It will help to close all background activities.
- Now, try to open QuickBooks file again and check whether the error is gone or it’s still the same.
In case the error still exists, try disabling your antivirus program temporarily. (Refer to your antivirus programs help menu or take assistance of a qualified IT professional)
Solution 2: You can use QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool (QBInstall Tool)
- First of all, Download the QuickBooks Install DiagnosticTool.
- After that a prompt comes to your screen, now save the file to the local Desktop.
- Close all the programs running on your desktop and then only run the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool.
- When the process completed check that all components are properly updated, Now restart your computer.
Solution 3: Rename/Delete QBWUSER.INI file
Renaming/Deleting the QBWUSER.INI file will erase all the information stored in your list of previously opened company files.
Press Windows + E key simultaneously on your keyboard, to open the Computer window.
- Under the “Organize” tab on the top left select,>> Folder and search options.
- Select the ‘View’ tab.
- In the Advanced Settings >> Hidden files and folders >> Show hidden files and folders, and then click on Ok.
- Go to My Computer >> C: drive >> C:\Documents and Settings\[Your user name]\Local Settings\Application Data\Intuit\QuickBooks [year]
- Right-click the QBWUSER>INI file and Click Delete/Rename
* QuickBooks Automatically creates a new QBWUSER.INI file.
If the program opens after you rename either QBWUSER.ini or EntitlementDataStore.ecml try opening a sample company file.
Suggested Read: Repair your company damaged file or network
Solution 4: Uninstall and Re-install using a clean install
Uninstall and then reinstall your QuickBooks Using a clean install. This will get you the latest QuickBooks update. Hence, resolving all your issues.
Solution 5: Open the company file from a different folder location (If other files or sample file do open)
Sometimes, the folder where you keep your company files can change/become corrupted. This is a system issue. Consult a qualified IT professional if the following steps still not resolve your issue.
- Press Windows + E on your keyboard in order to open the Computer window.
- Search for the data file, which will have a .qbw file extension (e.g. mycompanyfile.qbw). While searching for a file that is located on a network server, browse to the network drive on which the data file is located (for example X:\QBdata).
- After finding your company file, right-click on it and select Copy.
- Navigate to your C: Drive and Make a new folder here.
- Name that as folder QBTEST.
- Open the new QBTEST folder and Paste the company file there.
- Now, Open QuickBooks while holding the CTRL key simultaneously
- Select Open or Restore an Existing Company and go through the C:\QBTEST folder that you created.
- Open the company file that you copied in the QBTEST folder.
Solution 6: Create a new Windows Admin User
You can create a new Windows Admin user account and then open your Company file using the new user admin account you created.
Solution 7: If QuickBooks stopped working after windows 10 update
In case if your QuickBooks has stopped working due to anniversary installation of the windows 10, then you can call to your QuickBooks customer Support team or also resolve by yourself by following the below steps:
- Go to your control panel and select Windows Firewall.
- Select ‘Advanced settings’ and then Outbound rules.
- Click on the ‘New Rule’ button, choose the ‘Program’ checkbox and select click on ‘Next.’
- Now check ‘This Programm Path’ option, and copy the location of QuickBooks.
- Choose ‘Block the connection’ and click on public, private and Domain checkbox.
- Rename it click on Finish.
Solution 8: Using QuickBooks System Repair tool
- At very first, you need to download the QuickBooks repair tool.
- Later, you have to save the file in a local folder in the desktop.
- After that, you have to shut down all the earlier open program, followed by installing the tool.
- In addition, it should be noted that the scan will take approximately 20 minutes to run across the entire device.
- Once the tool repairs the program, the user needs to restart the console and they are good to go.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can directly quit it from Task Manager.
- Select Windows Icon on the bottom left-hand side of your screen.
- Type Task Manager, or can directly open by shortcut keys, ctrl+shift+Esc.
- Select your QuickBooks application in the running task and click on End task.
- This will close your QuickBooks frozen application
Open control panel< go to Program & Features< Select quickbooks< Click Uninstall/Change< Choose Continue < Next.< Select Repair, then click Next
We hope that the above solutions could help you to resolve your issue. After the above solutions, if you still facing the same problem then feel free to contact our QuickBooks ProAdvisor or directly reach us on +1-844-405-0904.