The QuickBooks Clean Install Tool is used to rebuild damaged QuickBooks desktop functions, just a simple re-install will not fix the problem here. To solve the problem, you have to rename the Desktop Un-Installed ‘QuickBooks Desktop for Windows‘, the installation file, and then reinstall the program. The whole process is called ‘clean install’ or ‘clean uninstall’ of QuickBooks.
A clean install fix helps you to deal with problems that prevent you from opening your company’s file, display and template problems, and some other situations. It succeeds in the QuickBooks system files on your computer. Rest ensured a clean install tool can not harm your accounting files like your company file any other data you have.
Important: Before performing the perform un-installation ‘process it is necessary to have a QuickBooks desktop download file or installation CD with the license number. Also for safety purposes, make a backup of your data file. You have to log in as Window Administrator before performing the next steps. Also the systems (Computers) you working on, should be available to be restarted.
When QuickBooks Removal Tool Must be Used
Running the QuickBooks Removal Tool requires uninstalling QuickBooks completely. Some of the following common problems are encountered when encountering prompts that you must download and run the QuickBooks Clean Install Tool.
- An error is displaying when opening more than one company file.
- QuickBooks displays installation errors.
- Re-installing Simple QuickBooks did not help you get rid of common error codes
Steps to use QuickBooks Clean Install Tool
First, you need to collect all the QuickBooks product info:
- Download QuickBooks installer according to your version.
- Keep your license number. If you have purchased the digital version, it must be on the original packaging or in the purchase confirmation email.
- Write carefully your product year and edition and back up your company file to preserve all your work.
Note: you can also get this information from the account management portal.
Step 1: Uninstall QuickBooks Desktop
- Launch the Start Menu window. Look for the “Control Panel” and click and open Control Panel.
- Go to the Programs and Features/Uninstall a Program.
- Here you have a long list of installed programs, pick the version of QuickBooks Desktop which you are facing issues.
- After selecting that particular version, Choose Uninstall/Change and accept all the onscreen instructions. If in case, you do not view this option then you have to sign out from the current account and need to sign in back into Windows as an admin (or a user with admin rights).
Note: If you receive an error message while uninstalling QuickBooks, stop troubleshooting. There may be something else with your computer and you should contact an IT professional or Microsoft for help.
Step 2: Download and install the QuickBooks Tools Hub
- Quit QuickBooks and download Tool Hub, save it any folder from where you can find easily(like downloads or desktop folder).
- Open downloaded file QuickBooksToolHub.exe and install it by following onscreen instructions. And also accept all the terms and conditions while installing.
- After installing this tool, double-click on it and open. If in case if you are not able to find out this tool then make a search in the Windows search bar for QuickBooks Tool Hub and choose the program.
Step 3: Run the QuickBooks Clean Install Tool
The Clean Install tool itself renames the old install folder. This enables QuickBooks to add new installation files later when you restore.
- Select Installation Issues in the QuickBooks Tools Hub
- Later, choose Clean Install Tool and click on OK.
- Choose the QuickBooks version and product version, click on Continue.
- Now you see this message on your screen “Please install your copy of QuickBooks to the default location”, click OK.
When the clean install tool is finished, you are allowed to reinstall the QuickBooks desktop.
Note: This tool has not worked with QuickBooks 2020. You need to rename your folders manually.
Steps to manually rename QuickBooks Desktop installations folders
As we discussed earlier, this tool is not compatible with QuickBooks 2020. Follow these steps to rename manually folders.
- Launch the Start menu window and look for the “File Explorer” and open it
- Now, look and open the folder that keeps your QuickBooks company files. This is normally your QuickBooks folder, most probably you will find in these following locations:
- C:\ProgramData\Intuit\QuickBooks (year)
- C:\Users\(current user)\AppData\Local\Intuit\QuickBooks (year)
- C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks (year)
- 64-bit version C:\Program Files (x86)\Intuit\QuickBooks (year)
- When you find your folder, right-click on the folder and choose Rename.
- Attach the postfix “old” at the end of your folder name. This will help to prevents QuickBooks from trying to open it when you reinstall.
- After following these steps, you are allowed to reinstall QuickBooks Desktop.
In case, if you got the error message while renaming the folder” The access denied while renaming the folder ”, then follow these steps to resolve.
- Click ctrl+shift+Esc to open Task Manager. You can also search the task manager in the start menu search bar.
- Now, open the Processes tab.
- Choose the Name column header to order the list.
- Look for these processes in the processes tab QBDBMgrN.exe, QBDBMgr.exe, QBCFMonitorService.exe, Qbw32.exe and end these listed processes.
- if you got the warning message: Terminating a process can cause undesired results” then select Yes.
After following these steps, you are allowed to reinstall QuickBooks Desktop.
The above are the steps to use QuickBooks Clean install tool for QuickBooks Desktop. I hope you have completed performing these steps successfully. But in case, while performing the above steps if you face any problem or issue then just give us a call on +1-844-770-0699 and get instant solutions from our Intuit Certified technician. We are just one call away from you.