QuickBooks Multi-user mode allows users to access QB company files on different computers at the same time but due to some technical glitches users may have to face some errors. One of those is QuickBooks Error H505, it is one of the QB H-series error.
Due to this users are not able to access company files on other computers except the QuickBooks hosting computer. In this article, we’ll discuss what are the symptoms and causes of the error and how to fix QuickBooks Error H505 in simple steps.
Symptoms of QuickBooks Error H505
These are the symptoms that users may notice while using QuickBooks in Multi-user mode. These symptoms indicate that the system may be affected by the QB error H505.
- QuickBooks starts crashing more frequently.
- When QuickBooks is running, the entire operating system starts crashing.
- The performance of the system keeps decreasing and commands of the mouse/keyboard are responding after a delay.
- The system starts to freeze when QuickBooks software is running.
- Finally QuickBooks error H505 message pops up on the screen.
These symptoms can also be shown by the other Intuit software or during the startup and shut down of the system.
Main Causes of QuickBooks Error code H505
- Damaged and Corrupted .ND Files: QuickBooks uses .ND files to access the company files over the network. Therefore, if the .ND files are gets damaged or corrupted somehow then QuickBooks won’t be able to access company files over the network.
- QuickBooks Database Service is not working: There are some services of QuickBooks like QuickBooksDBXX and QBCFMonitor service that resolves these error automatically. But sometimes these services are not running by the system.
- The IP address of Host Computer is inaccessible: When other computers are unable to access the IP address of the QuickBooks Host computer then users will not be able to access company files.
- Incorrect Firewall Configuration: When the firewall ports settings are not configured according to the correct version of QuickBooks software.
- Incorrect Hosting Settings: If the settings on the QuickBooks Hosting computer are not configured properly, users sometime may face QB error code H505.
- Incorrect DNS Settings: The function of DNS(Domain Name Server) is to translate the domain name into an IP address. If this is not working properly or any workstation has incorrect DNS settings then error code H505 may occur.
Various Methods of Fixing QuickBooks Error H505
After you recognize the cause that was leading to the QuickBooks Error H505. Now, you can easily resolve the Multi-user error by using any of the following methods.
Solution 1: Create a New QuickBooks Company Files Folder
This is one of the easiest and most preferable methods that users should always try first in order to fix QB multi-user errors or any H-series user.
- This method is only applied to the QuickBooks Hosting computer where company files have been stored.
- The first step is to create a new folder for QB company files. We recommend you create a folder in the Local Disk C.
- After that enable Windows access permission to share company files across the network.
- Now copy all the files with .QBW extension into the new folder.
- Now try to access company files in the QuickBooks Multi-user mode.
Solution 2: Open Network Ports that Transmits QuickBooks Data
Configure QuickBooks Firewall Settings
- First, you need to open the Windows Firewall Settings and then in the instrument panel, right-click on the Windows option.
- After that type ‘Firewall’ in the search bar and then in the Windows firewall, click on the Advanced option.
- On the left side of the computer screen, Right-click on the Outbound Rules and then select the New Rule option.
- And then click on the Ports and then continue.
Enter following QuickBooks Firewall Ports for different versions.
- You need to enter these ports in TCP settings.
- QuickBooks 2018 Firewall Settings: 8019,56728,5538-55382.
- QuickBooks 2017 Firewall Settings: 8019,56727,55373-55377
- QuickBooks 2016 Firewall Settings: 8019,56726,55368-55372
- QuickBooks 2015 Firewall Settings: 8019,56725,55363-55367
- After you entered the firewall wall ports, click next and then select the Allow the connection option.
- Enter a name in the Name field and then Finish.
- Repeat the same above steps for the Inbound rules also.
- Now try to open the QuickBooks company files in the Multi-user mode again and then see if QuickBooks error H505 is still occurring or not.
Turn-On Network Discovery
- In the QuickBooks Hosting Computer, go to the Control Panel and then select System and Security option.
- And then click on the Window Firewall.
- In the Windows Firewall, go to the left side panel, click on the Permit Associate App/Feature. (For Windows Server 2012 Only)
- After that select the Modification option and then click on the Network Discovery and the OK.
Name of the Server
- Press the Windows key + R to open the Windows Run Command and then type CMD and hit Enter.
- In the search bar enter config/all and then press Enter.
- Then find the Host Name in the IP configuration section.
- You should be able to see the Host Name at the top-right corner.
- Finally, Save and continue.
Solution 3: Check the Hosting Services
Verify the Hosting
- Open QuickBooks on every workstation computer except QuickBooks Hosting computer.
- Then from the top menu bar select the File menu and click on the Utilities option.
- If you see the Host the Multi-user option on the list then it means that the workstation is not hosting the company files.
- The workstation that are not hosting the company files are fine, you don’t need to make any changes to their settings.
- But if you see the Stop Hosting the Multi-user Access option, then you need to select this option.
- Check these settings on every workstation computer and if the hosting is on any workstation you need to disable hosting.
Verify QuickBooks Services
- For this, you need to open the Window Run Command by pressing the Windows button + R.
- In the search bar type .MSC and then enter. After that, you need to search for the Service.msc.
- Now in the next window, you need to search for the QuickBooksDBXX service by scrolling up and down in the window.
- After you find the QuickBooksDBXX, you need to double-click on it. Then select the Automatic Startup option for this service.
- You may also need to repair the QuickBooksDBXX.
- Then go to the recovery tab, here, in the First Failure select restart and do the same for the second failure and subsequent failure also.
- To save the changes you made, select OK.
- Now, repeat all the above steps for the QBCFMonitorService also.
- After that, run QuickBooks on all the workstations that were showing the QuickBooks Error H505.
- If you are still facing the issue, then find the QuickBooksDBXX service in the administrator and have some acceptable permissions.
Solution 4: Check if Services are Running Properly or Not
To access the services that are running on the compute, you need to open the Run command then search for the service in the search bar. In Windows 10, you can see the running services in the Task Manager by pressing the ctrl + shift + Esc together.
Here you need to type service.msc in the search bar and enter. It might take some time for display the running services.
Follow the below instructions after services list is open
- To find the QuickBooksDBXX sort all the services in alphabetical order. You can do this by clicking on the Name.
- Once you find the QuickBooksDBXX, right-click on it and then click on the Properties option.
- Then, select the startup type as Automatic and also make sure that the service status is marked as Running or started.
- If the status is stopped, then you need to change the status for the proper window.
- After that go to the recovery tab and then in the First Failure, select Restart the service. Do the same for the second failure and subsequent failures also.
After doing that the service will start automatically even after the failure in the first or second attempt. But after initiating this service you may face the error message quoted below.
“Windows could not start the QuickBooksDBXX service on the local computer. Error 1709: the account specified for this service differs from the account specified for the other services running in the same process”
Follow these steps if you encounter with the above error message
- First, you need to select the Log On tab and then click on the browser.
- Enter your computer name in the ‘Enter the Object Name to select’ field and then click on the Check Names option.
- After that, you need to enter the administrator password.
- Then, click OK and close the window.
- Again open the properties of the QuickbooksDBXX and click Start.
- Finally, close all the running programs and then check if the service is running properly or not.
Solution 5: Edit the Host File
- First, open the Windows Run command by pressing the Windows Button + R.
- Now open the command prompt window by typing the cmd and then enter.
- In the Command Prompt window, type ‘ipconfig/all’ and then enter to run the command.
- After that look for the Host Name and the IP address and then note both of them down somewhere.
- Then, repeat all the steps on the computer that are using the QuickBooks Multi-user mode.
Follow the steps to edit the Host File
- First of all, close QuickBooks and then go to the Windows Start menu.
- Then open My Computer and then follow the path C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc or C:\Windows\System64\Drivers\Etc.
- If you cannot find the Windows folder in My Computer then you need to follow the below steps to see hidden folders or files.
- Click on the View Tab and then select the show hidden files option.
- Right-click on the Host File and then open it in the Notepad.
- After that enter the IP address and Computer Name. While you were filling the details use Tab instead of Space Bar to put the space between the IP address and Computer Name.
- After that save the changes that you’ve made and then open the QuickBooks in the Multi-user Mode.
We hope that you’ve found this article on how to fix QuickBooks Error H505. in this article, we’ve tried to explain the troubleshooting methods of QB error code H505 in the easiest ways possible.
If you still have some queries or you are facing any error in QuickBooks then we recommend you contact a QuickBooks Proadvisor. To know about the service we offer feel free to call us at our customer support number +1-844-770-0699.