QuickBooks is one of the most useful accounting software in the USA. It helps in managing accounting operations like- scheduling payments, inventory management, creating payrolls, monitoring of shipping processes, manage bills and setting reminders and all other business-related operations handled by QB perfectly.
Like other software, QuickBooks also has some issues which occur while using this accounting software. When you are trying to operate QuickBooks Desktop over a network or with a big company file, you’ll expertise certain varieties of performance problems about slowness, taking a protracted time to open, or different critical similar behavior.
- Why we need to optimize our QuickBooks performance
- Some benefits of speeding up QuickBooks performance
- Issues which affect your QuickBooks performance:
- Why these problems arise?
- Reasons why QuickBooks slow to open the company file
- 4 secret tips to boost your QuickBooks performance.
- How to speed up QuickBooks performance?
- QuickBooks in multi-user mode
- Which factors affect the performance in multi-user mode?
- Several Methods to increase the performance of QuickBooks in multi-user mode
- Final Words
Why we need to optimize our QuickBooks performance
The computer system contains a lot of files and each file has a specific location and function. When you install the Quickbooks in your system and if the system is not working properly then you receive a message, QuickBooks is unable to start or QuickBooks slow to open. This is a very critical situation for the user because if your system working properly so you don’t face any performance problems, it means your system free from QuickBooks performance issues, any types of error, and bug problems. QuickBooks performance is an important factor of users because if you are work free from any interruption so you will do work very well in a comparison of previous problems.
How do I speed up QuickBooks performance? should I download Quickbooks performance analyzer? And how to get a free QuickBooks performance update? Users mostly confused with these types of questions. In this in-depth article, we have tried to cover every aspect in which you can speed up QuickBooks performance.
Some benefits of speeding up QuickBooks performance
- When your QuickBooks performance is better in your system, you can easily do any tasks.
- Increasing Working capability.
- Decreasing the stress hour
- Manage Time
- Increase Speed
Issues which affect your QuickBooks performance:
- Rebuilding the Data File Fails
- Upgrading the data files fails
- Lose the connection to the data file
- The reinstall fails
- QuickBooks run slowly in multi-user mode
- QB client machine cannot locate the data file on the server
- You can not find the licensing information
- A new printer unable to print
- You lost the admin password
- Can not copy or move the QB data file
Why these problems arise?
It’s important to understand the various types of QuickBooks performance issues that may occur:
- Taking a long time to open the file or unable to open file
- Company file tasks slow down as the number of users signing into the file increase.
- Performance issues for everyone in the office.
- Intermittent performance issues (certain tasks are quick, while others are slow).
- Company file runs fine in the morning and slows down as the day progresses.
- If you see similar data issues in multiple data files, indicating that the network is damaging your company data files.
Reasons why QuickBooks slow to open the company file
The main reason behind this maybe you have a lot of data. As we know. list in the program is placed into memory when QuickBooks begins, which usually takes more time if you have the number of entries or customers. In that case, files normally become damaged over time as well, which leads to the bloat file size and slow startup or direct to the slow QuickBooks as well.
Make sure that your network setup is within these approvals
Enhance your computer: One of the largest development you will see to the performance of QuickBooks Desktop is based on how much system memory (RAM) you have on the server computer that is hosting the company file.
When you have less than 4GB on your server computer, examine upgrading to a higher capacity. See embellish your computer to resolve performance issues for more news or contact a qualified IT professional for assistance in upgrading your hardware.
Related Article: System Requirement for QuickBooks Accounting Software
Where your company file is stored: Where you store your company data file can have a major effect on the performance of QuickBooks. Make sure that you are using a Windows or Linux based server computer, and not a Network Attached Storage Device(NAS Drive). You can get more info from the preferred company file location by looking at Optimizing your data file location.
Which kind of network do you have?: You will achieve the most excellent result by having the proper network setup. The following is approved for your network setup for peak effectiveness with QuickBooks.
- Not a wireless network.
- Cat6 networking cables, Gigabit-capable router or switch, and Gigabit network cards.
Note: 10/100 network speeds are promoted, but when you have many users, you will considerably profit from Gigabit network speeds.
Steps to know the presence of a Gigabit network:
- Press and hold the CTRL + SHIFT + Esc keys.
- This will open the Task Manager.
- Select the Networking tab.
- See when your local area connection shows 1 Gbps, under Link Speed, you have a gigabit network.
Note: If you see 100Mbps than you do not have a gigabit network.
4 secret tips to boost your QuickBooks performance.
Fast Internet Connection: The entire access of stored information and the process of QuickBooks depends on internet connection. The slowness of the internet connection causes confusion with the accounting operations.
Hosted QuickBooks permits anyplace, anytime access to the application, using any device connected over a reliable internet connection.
An ugly speed of internet is not required with hosted QuickBooks, but it has to be fast enough. In QuickBooks speed factor, the internet connection has to be still for maintaining a good speed.
Right Maintenance of Local Machine: There may be some issues on your local machines like desktops, laptops or smartphones that cause errors with your QB usage. The cloud services are not much dependent on the local machines. You may clear the cookies and cache memory also on a regular basis.
Delete The TLG File: QuickBooks automatically creates and stores the TLG file alongside your main file. TLG file means the transaction log file. If your main files get deleted, this TLG file is sometimes used in recovering the main files.
Note– It does not mean that you require TLG files for QuickBooks. You can also delete it without facing any data loss.
The simple way to avoid TLG files is just to create a verified backup of your files in QB. After this, the TLG files will get blank and it will start all over again.
Follow this to create a verified backup:
Click on File>Create Backup>Local Backup and then click on the Options button. You must make sure that “Complete Verification” has been selected.
Avoid Corruption: If your QuickBooks has any corruption then it will adversely have an effect on the performance of the QuickBooks and some time may stop working or stop responding in the least. To avoid corruption you can follow two solutions –
- You can create a portable data file and restore it.
- You can also use a QuickBooks File Repair Tool.
Turn off the QuickBooks automatic updates: When QuickBooks users open the system users receive a message related to QuickBooks update, mostly user is worried to this message because it’s all times appears on a user screen.
If you don’t want this message to appear, turn off the QuickBooks automatic update option. Because it only updates about 10 times a year. All update message depends on different QuickBooks versions.
How to speed up QuickBooks performance?
Make sure to update to the latest release before troubleshooting performance issues.
Important: Some of these steps are perfectly performed by a qualified IT professional, exceptionally if you do not have an Administrator approach to your server computer.
Solution 1: Create a backup file to reset the TLG file and resort lists
- Maybe creating a backup of recent files helps to improve performance in QuickBooks because it resets them.TLG file. For detail of transaction log file follow the below steps:
- Go to the program > choose the File menu > Backup Company, and select Create Local Backup.
- Choose Local Backup > click Options.
- In the Tell us where to save your backup copies, select your Desktop
- Make sure that a Complete Verification is selected and click OK.
- Choose to Save it now and click Next. In the Save Backup Copy window, choose your Desktop > click Save.
Your QuickBooks will now create a backup file to your desktop.
Solution 2: Test speed from a UNC path and from the desktop
Unclosed the file via the UNC path instead of the Mapped Drive:
Dissimilar kinds of network setup can have an effect on QuickBooks performance. When you typically access your company files via a mapped drive (Q:\QB Data for example) if you can try approaching the file via the UNc path ( \\ ServerName\ QB Data).
These steps help you it may be a bit technical, you may need to check with your IT professional if you run any problem with getting the server computer name or file location path.
- Discovery the name of the server name by opening the Computer (Windows key + E) and examine visually under the network location area.
- You will see dissimilar mapped drives, such as X:\, Z:\, Y:\, etc. When you see closely, you will look at the server computer name denoted by 2 backslashes (\\). This is the server computer name, ensure to write it down for the next steps. Also, you will want to shared folders name, this is usually the name right before the server name.
- Presently that you have your server’s computer name and your shared folders name, put them together like this: \\ServerName\SharedFolder Name and as per the example above, the UNC path would be \\ServerName\QBData.
- Ensure to note this path down, then open QuickBooks, and select Open or Restore a Company File.
Select Open a Company File and tap Next.
- In the unclosed a company box, enter the UNC path you got from step 3 in the file name box and press Enter.
You will then look at a list of your company files, select the one you wish to open and press Open.
- If the speed is rapid, you will want to make sure your IT professional can set up a UNC path for future use and not use a mapped drive to access your company files.
- If the speed is identical, continue below in troubleshooting.
Test your speed locally (if on a network)
You can test your QuickBooks in a multi-user atmosphere, to conclude if the network or the company file is creating the issues. If the performance issues happen when more than 1 person signs into the company file, carry out to Solution 3. If performance issues happen with one user logged into the company file over the network, then carry out below to copy the file locally.
- Press the F2 button on your keyboard, within QuickBooks.
- Make a note of where your company file is located, under file location.
- Close QuickBooks and have all users record into the company file sign out.
- Tap the Start menu and choose Computer.
- Browse to the file path you situated in step 2.
- Once you discover your company file (QBW), right-click on it and select Copy.
- On your desktop, right-click in an empty space, then choose Paste.
- Presently you have copied your file to the desktop, open QuickBooks and browse to the desktop location to open the file that you just copied.
Test the performance while the file is local to look if it is speedy than being on the network.
- If the file is as lazy as it was on the network, carry out to key 5 to test problems within the file itself.
- If the file is speedy while it is local vs being on the network, carry out below to the next solution.
Solution 3: Reduce company file fragments and perform disk defragmentation
- The company file is local to the Desktop, creates and restores a portable file.
Note: This step will reduce file fragments which may good for performance speed.
- After completion of creating/restoring a portable file, attempt disk defragmentation.
Note– Do not perform disk fragmentation if you are using Solid State Drive.
- Click the Start button > select All Programs > Select Accessories > System Tools > Disk Defragmentation.
- Next, click the Defragmentation button and follow instructions that appear on your display screen to defragment your hard drive.
Note: The defragmentation process may take some time to complete, you can start it and then carry out below to the next solution if it’s taking a long time.
Solution 4: Dispute third-party programs and antivirus software
Rely upon your current setup, there may be some conflicting programs that are running alongside QuickBooks to bring about performance degradation. When you use QuickBooks in a networking atmosphere, you will want to perform these steps on the server itself.
Check antivirus software:
Some of the antivirus programs can also cause performance issues of your QuickBooks, so you can disable it temporarily to see if performance improves.
- Temporarily disable the antivirus security software, on the server computer that hosts the company file.
- Unclosed QuickBooks, and look if the performance has improved.
- It carries out to below to check for 3rd party programs conflicting with performance if the performance is the same.
- You will want to set exceptions to allow your security program to bypass QuickBooks if the performance is better while the anti-virus program is disabled.
Important: Ensure to turn your antivirus back on after testing performance.
Continuous some 3rd party background applications can cause a performance problem with QuickBooks. An easy way to identify the problem if this is the cause or not is to use Selective Startup. This will load only the basic drivers and startup items necessary to use your computer.
Check third-party performance
- Press the Window key + R to open the Run Command, type msconfig, and press Enter.
- Choose Diagnostic Startup > press OK.
- Now, reboot your computer and test the performance.
- Proceed to the next solution if the performance is the same.
- If the performance is excellent during in selective startup, then it is approved you work with your IT professional to determine which specific program is causing the performance issues.
Important: Once you have refined testing the performance in selective startup, follow these steps to get back to normal operation:
- Press the Windows key + R on your keyboard to unclosed the Run command. type msconfig and press Enter.
- Choose normal startup then press OK.
- Reset your computer.
Solution 5: Check for performance issues within your company file in QuickBooks
If you have reduced the performance problem to the company file, as in it is lazy both on and off the server computer, with the anti-virus disabled, in selective startup mode, and rebuilding the TLG file, you may be capable to further better performance by checking your data file for performance enhancements.
Important: Before you begin, look if the performance is affecting multiple users or only one or two users. Also the frequency of when the performance issues happen. Is it confident times during the day, only when doing certain types of activities in QuickBooks.
Check speed of QuickBooks for all users, all of the time:
If the company file is lazy for everyone and all the time, you can inspect the data file for integrity problems.
Note: When you are in a multi-user atmosphere, it is approved that all but one person sign out of the company file.
- Select the File menu > Utilities > Verify Data, from within your company file.
- Tap OK to start the verification process.
- If there are any integrity problems, QuickBooks will prompt you to run a repair on the data.
- If the Verify discover errors and you run a rebuild, make sure to examine your QBWin.log file for errors.
- Carry out to the next step, if the Verify completes without errors.
Check, Is QuickBooks only slow for some users
Alteration other QuickBooks preferences: You can additionally maximize performance by setting additional company and user-specific preferences.
If QuickBooks is lazy only when saving transactions (Invoices, Bills, etc):
- Go to the Lists menu and select Templates.
- Try using a new template for your transaction.
- Tap the Templates button in the bottom left, and choose New.
- Select the type of template you want to create and Tap OK.
- Tap the Manage Templates button at the top left.
- Give your new template a name and Tap OK, over on the right.
- Tap OK again to close out of the basic customization window.
- Now use your new template on a transaction to look if the performance is better when saving.
After performing all these steps and you are still experiencing performance problems, Press F2 within the program and consider the following:
- How large is your company file (file size)?
- QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions: When your company files size is >500MB, then you can Improve QuickBooks performance by verifying it is using the correct amount of memory.
- Do any of your lists exceed the recommended limits (list information)?
- How many years worth of data do you have (versions used on this file)?
While there are no actual hard limits for the company file, performance may be impacted if you have a large file (over 500mb for QuickBooks Pro/Premier and 1.5GB for QuickBooks Enterprise), more than 7 years worth of transactions, or are exceeding any of the list limits, you may be best suited to either condensing your QuickBooks data (applies to the US only) or creating a new company file.
QuickBooks runs slow in multi-user mode this issue generally occurs when users work on QB accounting software. QuickBooks slow down in multi-user mode while opening a big company file or just simply using QB Desktop on the web. The user may come across a few problems like slow speed, QuickBooks taking a long time to open, or other similar behavior. These are some responsible factors of slow down performance
QuickBooks in multi-user mode
Multi-User modes allow many users to access the same model at the same time and several users work on the same project without any issues. The best Quality features of multi-user mode, many users at the same time can open, edit, and save the company files and the users can perform their respective functions from their computers.
If you are worried about how to use multi-user mode in Quickbooks? Basically, multi-user will work for you as long as you have a server set up that everyone can access or if you want to use an online hosted environment such as Right Networks.
With the help of multi-user mode more than one person to work on a company file at the same time increasing collaboration and productivity. And because of this, it improves accuracy because all users are working on the most up-to-date data. The additional features of multi-user mode in QB are ensuring data stays protected because individual user access levels can be set.
Which factors affect the performance in multi-user mode?
It is necessary to recognize the different kinds of performance errors that can occur such as:
- Company file tasks slow down as the number of users increases.
- Administration issues for everybody in the office.
- Getting a long time to open a company file.
- Company file works fine in the morning and slows down as the day proceeds.
- Management errors for only one or two people in the department.
- Related data errors in various data files, symbolizing that the network is damaging your company data files.
- Difficulties to perform alternate (individual tasks are fast, while others are slow).
Reasons why QuickBooks run slow in multi-user mode:
- Multi-users are accessing one module at the same time.
- The size of the data file might be too large to be handled by the system
- The computer is slow where the data file is located.
- A large report is running in data files like Transaction report which has more than 32,000 targets which are quite large.
- If you are using a defective Network Interface Card (NIC) or your card might be slow.
- The computer is slow where the data file is located.
Several Methods to increase the performance of QuickBooks in multi-user mode
If your accounting software is taking too much time to respond, it simply means that its performance quality is poor. Follow these methods to improve the performance while using QuickBooks in multi-user mode.
Upgrade to the latest version:
Upgrade version makes the continuity to the users with new features and Quickbooks continues to improve multi-user performance by making transactions more efficient. If you are confusing about why we upgrade the latest version? read the following benefits,
Be Sure your network and PCs use Gigabit network Components:
- All PC and servers made today have gigabit-speed network interfaces because of this performance will improve and multi-user are worked on them.
- If you have still used an older 100Mb switch, consider an upgrade to a gigabit switch.
If you are a regular user ensure that you have a fast performing PC
You work on a PCs daily basis or official basis, but both have different functionality. When you work on QuickBooks on your PCs that time used fastest PCs because Quickbooks only allows 1 user at a time to write to the database, you don’t want a user who’s making a lot of changes to slow down everyone else.
Open the database using a URL instead of a shared drive:
You can get faster results when you use QuickBooks URL instead of a shared drive. Because QuickBooks will often run faster if you use full pathname or URL.
Perform manual backups monthly:
- Manual backups reduce the chance of file corruption and if any corruption within your database, it will offer to rebuild it. After completing the process of manual backup a file known as the transaction log will be cleared out and it can lead to improved performance.
- If you are using QuickBooks software for a daily basis so be sure your QB is automatically backing up every night with a copy to an offsite location.
- QuickBooks installation is important for the system, be sure to uninstall QB or QB server on the same computer where the company file is located and set up that computer according to the recommended multi-user set up
Store your company File:
If you want the consistently good performance of your QuickBooks then consider the following tips when choosing the computer to store your Company file:
- Select a computer that is not used for any other purpose or activity.
- Your computer should meet the requirement for memory, processor and disk space as specified in Quickbooks Reference guide.
Follow Day to Day Operations:
If you observe the day to day activity of users and systems so you can take the good decision related to performance. The longtime running task takes a long time to complete and these tasks also interrupt the other user, so performance will still poor or decreases. Stop these tasks and consider doing these tasks when other users are not working in the company file.
By modifying Quickbooks Preferences you can also improve the performance of day-to-day tasks,
- Go to the reminder preferences choose Don’t Remind me for tasks for which you do not need a reminder.
- Go to reports and Graph preferences choose to Prompt me to refresh or Do not refresh. Refreshing reports automatically can slow performance.
Tips for Reports:
You can follow these steps below and manage the large reports.
- You can run the reports when other users log out of the company file. Use the fastest computer which has better network connectivity and gives a fast response.
- Some reports take a long time to create than others and the slowest report as journal reports and cash basis transactions reports.
- Refresh report may be automatically can slow performance consider selecting Prompt me to refresh or Don’t refresh in the Reports & Graphs preferences.
- When you are ready to work with its data refresh a report or graph. If you are not working with the report and if appears in the toolbar of a report or graph, leave the report for graph unrefreshed.
Tips for Printing:
We suggest the following point for cheques, business forms or reports to print,
- You can print cheques into two groups for example if you have 70 invoices to print, print them in two groups of 35.
- When you print the large file, that time is sure other users are not working in the company file. After the log out of the user, you can print the report.
If you still face the problem related to the performance you should follow the given steps below.
Some Quick steps:
- Decrease the date ranges on a big report.
- Use only one module at a time and minimize the number of users
- Ensure to save the data file on the fastest computer on the network.
- Replace the Network Interface Card (NIC).
For more help follow these steps:
- Type ‘performance’ in the search option,
- Then, click on the green arrow.
- Now choose the ‘help’ menu from QuickBooks and select Search.
- Lastly, in the multi-user mode, select ‘Improve Performance’
As we all know that more than one user can access your Company file at the same time in multi-user mode, this leads to a slight decrease in the performance of QB. The following are some other reasons that cause slow performance of QuickBooks. For best performance, your QuickBooks and its server should be on the same computer where your Company file is located. We hope the above discussion information will help you to make QuickBooks faster in Multi-User mode.
When you would resolve the QuickBooks Performance issue then your next step is to speed up QuickBooks performance. If you are thinking about how to speed up your QuickBooks performance and what are the ways to fix all these problems. You should not worry, you can perform accounting and financial activities on QuickBooks without affecting its performance.
We hope you found this article useful. If you want more information and help, contact QuickBooks Support by dialling our toll-free number +1-855-441-4417. Our experts will be happy to help you.