How to fix QuickBooks Error Code 20 – Printer not activated?
- Last Updated on: September 6th, 2018
- Posted by: QB
- Category: QuickBooks Error
Application key is not updated when you have updated OS and some applications use that key to store internal settings, causing them to fail after an update. This issue will mostly like appear on QuickBooks software. Quickbooks Error Code 20 – Printer not activated is one of the most common error message encountered by QuickBooks Software. user whenever they decide to upgrade their operating system to Windows 10 or 8.
Due to this error user does not able to print or send invoices and payslips which leads to the further inconvenience for the business owners. This is a general error caused by many other applications apart from QuickBooks but its significance on QuickBooks is more than any other software.
Causes of QuickBooks Error Code 20:
Some reasons are given below
- Generally, this error is caused due to deletion of the HKey_current_config\Software key. QB employs the same registry key as well. As a result, outdated key stops the software and printer to work properly. As many of the software uses the same registry key due to which malfunctioning with any of the software can cause an error in other software as well.
- Another reason is that the computer might be busy with multiple versions of Quickbooks, which generally does not harmful, however, it could be one of the reason. Generally, It is not a big deal to install multiple versions of QB on the same computer as long as their directories are different.
- If you are seeing this error message and not able to save invoice or payslip as pdf. Then it is possible that your pdf driver for QuickBooks is not compatible with your operating system.
When you have a problem related to this question, “Printer not activated? Error -20” when I try to save as PDF on Windows 7 or Windows 8. We will discuss here the solution to a question
Try the following steps below :
1. Firstly, close final draft,
2. On Windows 8
- Open the start screen, then right-click on the Final Draft 9/8 tile block
- Now select Run As Administrator
On Windows 7 / Vista:
- Open the Windows 7, Go to start > programs
- Now, right click on Final Draft 9/8
- Now you select Run As Administrator
3. Now you should be able to save your script as a PDF without any difficulties.
Related Article: How to Troubleshoot QuickBooks Printing Problems
Precautions before making changes to the directory.
- Generate a Backup: It is necessary to make a backup of the present registry before making any changes. As you might need your old registry if the modified registry not able to solve the problem.
- A system recovery point should also be created in case of any further complications arise.
Creating a Registry Backup:
First of all, go to the Registry Editor. Tap on the computer appears on the top of the folder tree in the left bar. Then, click File -> Export -> Save it.
Now you have successfully created a registry backup.
Creating a system restore point.
First of all, go to the start button and look for system restore. There you will find an option to create a new system restore point. Don’t forget to enable “Protection Setting” on Local disk C using the system properties window. Click apply as well as ok to save the setting.
This setting will create a system restore point.
Methods to solve QuickBooks Error code 20.
Uninstalling and then reinstalling QuickBooks can be a good way to clean these corrupted files.
- First of all, go to the control panel.
- Click on Programs (Applications) and Features.
- Locate QuickBooks and click Uninstall option.
- Download a fresh copy of the compatible version of QuickBooks.
- Reinstall the program and printer should work properly this time.
You might need to restart the computer to let the changes to take place.
Note: If the problem is with Pdf converter only then you are advised to uninstall the old driver and install a compatible driver with your operating system.
If you do not want to reinstall the QuickBooks. You can manually update the registry key.
There are to ways of manually updating the registry key.
Granting permission using Registry editor.
- Open Registry editor.
- Type regedit as it is after pressing the start key on the keyboard.
- Right-click on the regedit and choose run as an administrator.
- Search HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG as now you have the access to the registry editor.
- Select permission after right-clicking the software folder.
- Verify that the user has the full control of the table.
- Click Ok and close the window as well as registry editor.
Now QB has the access to the keys and printer should work fine.
This option is only for Windows 10 users. You can manually update the registry key by granting permission using Powershell script.
The user account who is looking for the permission should be logged in. User account should also have the access to use the command prompt.
- Click on the start button.
- Type cmd.
- Select Run as an Administrator after right clicking cmd.
- Type Powershell in the command prompt and also press Enter key.
- Copy and paste the following code as it is the command prompt.
PowerShell.exe -NoProfile -NoLogo -NonInteractive -Command “$key = [Microsoft.Win32.Registry]::CurrentConfig.OpenSubKey(‘Software’,[Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKeyPermissionCheck]::ReadWriteSubTree,[System.Security.AccessControl.RegistryRights]::ChangePermissions); $acl =$key.GetAccessControl(); $rule = New-Object System.Security.AccessControl.RegistryAccessRule (‘Users’,’FullControl’,’ObjectInherit,ContainerInherit’,’None’,’Allow’); $acl.SetAccessRule($rule); $key.SetAccessControl($acl);”
This should stop the error from reappearing.
Note: Always remember to keep checking USB connections once in a while as well you should run an anti-virus or security program regularly in order to keep clear of these type of errors.
We hope this article resolves the error and now you will be able to print using QuickBooks easily. However, if you are still facing any issue regarding this or you have any other problem related to QB then you should contact our customer support number. Dial 1855-441-4417