In this blog, we’ll teach you how to void a check in QuickBooks Desktop as well as QBO. It will be helpful in cancelling the incorrect issued check and retrieve the amount that was deducted from the bank account.
There are few conditions where you might need to void a check in QuickBooks.
For example, when paying your clients, vendors, and colleagues while computing QuickBooks. It is quite common that you have mistakenly issued a check to a wrong person or entered the wrong amount of fund in a check.
You issued a check then later realized that it could bounce because the amount that was mentioned in the check is more than your current bank balance. This will definitely affect your business negatively.
What is a void check?
The void check simply means that the amount on check changes to zero. All the other details like a check number, payee’s name and issue date of the check remain intact in the registry but the check is tagged as a Voided transactions.
You can also easily unvoid check later if you want to.
Simple methods to void a check in QuickBooks
There are some different ways a check can be voided some of them are mentioned below with easy steps.
Follow the instructions mention below to void a check easily.
Void a check in QuickBooks
- Open the QuickBooks software and select ‘Banking’.
- Then, choose ‘Use Register’.
- Select the bank account which originally issued the check.
- Take a look at the list of check number/entry and then select the check which you want to void.
- Click ‘Edit’ then select ‘Void check’. After that, a message will appear asking you that if you want to void check using the current date then select ‘Yes’ or if you want to void the check using the date at which the check was originally issued select ‘No’. Choose whichever option suitable for you.
- Select ‘Record’ to void the check.
Void a Payroll check in QuickBooks
- Select ‘Employees’ if you are computing through QuickBooks Payroll services and if you are using a Third-Party payroll service then click on its icon.
- Select the ‘Void Paychecks’ if you are using QuickBooks Software. Click on the down arrow next to the ‘Related Payrolls Activities’ and then ‘Void Paychecks’ if you are using a Third-Party payroll service.
- Fill the dates in the ‘Show Paychecks From and Through’ field to specify the time period in which the check was issued.
- Now click at the ‘Tab’ to see the list of checks issued within that period.
- Select the paycheck you want to void and follow the instructions shown on the screen to complete the process.
- After completion, the funds on the check will change to ‘0.00’ and ‘Void’ will appear on the memo field.
- Select ‘Done’ when the process is completed.
Void a paper check in QuickBooks
- Select the ‘Banking’ and then ‘Write Checks’ option.
- Select the account from which the check was issued under the expense section.
- Enter check number and check issued date into their respective field from the paper check.
- Enter the Payee name into the ‘pay to the order of’ field.
- Fill the ‘0.00’ in the amount field.
- Select ‘edit’ and ‘void check’.
- Now a message will appear on the screen asking you to press ‘Yes’ if you want to void the check using the current date or you can also select ‘No’ if you want to void the check using the date when the check was issued.
- If you select ‘No’, then your company’s journal will not update but the check will show as voided.
- By selecting the ‘Record’ option your check will be voided.
Void a check in QuickBooks Desktop
- First, you need to open the check which you want to void in the ‘Write Check’ window.
- From the top of the menu bar select ‘Edit’ and then ‘Void check’.
- To proceed further choose ‘Save’ at the top of the Main tab of the Write Checks or select the ‘Save and Close’ option at the bottom right corner of the screen.
- A new window will pop-up asking you how to proceed with voiding the check. Options will depend on the type of check and related transactions.
- After reading carefully select the option which is the best for you and finally void the check.
Easy steps to Void a check in QuickBooks Online
- Firstly, you need to open QuickBooks Online accounting software.
- Open the ‘Accounting’ tab from the top left.
- And then, select the ‘Chart of Accounts’ option from the top left.
- Choose the bank account which originally issued the check.
- Then, click on the ‘View register’.
- Find the check you want to void and then click on it to highlight the check.
- Select ‘Edit’ and then choose the ‘More’ option.
- Now at last select ‘Void’ and then later confirm the same by clicking on ‘Yes’.
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I delete a check in QuickBooks?
If you want to delete a check instead of voiding it. Then, you need to select ‘Banking’ then ‘Use Register’. After that select the ‘Bank account’ from which the check was issued and select the ‘Check number/entry’ of the check you want to delete. Finally, click on ‘Edit’ and then select ‘Delete’. ‘Record’ to delete the check.
How do I void a Blank check in QuickBooks?
For voiding a blank check go to ‘banking’ and then select ‘use register’. After that select the bank account to void a check and then create a check with 0.00 in the amount field and enter the payee’s name and allocate any expenses field to it. In the end, select ‘Edit’ and then ‘Void check’. ‘Save and close’ to finalize.
What is the difference between voiding and deleting a check?
Voiding a check only changes the amount of check to zero but keeps the details like vendors name, date, check number of the transaction in the QuickBooks record, on the other hand, deleting a check will completely remove the transaction history.
How can I find Voided/Deleted transactions in QuickBooks?
You can find the voided/deleted checks or Invoices in the Reports>Accountant and Taxes>Voided/Deleted Transaction Summary.
If you want some advice related to financials, accounting, and tax returns, etc then we have a team of accounting professionals they will provide you support and helps you in growing your business.
You can get help from our QuickBooks ProAdvisor team through our 24/7 Toll-free number +1-855-441-4417.