The question is how to change vendor to employee in QuickBooks? Well, QuickBooks Online doesn’t directly change a customer to a vendor or vice versa.
QuickBooks only support changing an “ Other Names” of vendor, employee or customer. If you want to change from vendor record to employee record or the customer to the vendor, you need to delete an original record or make it inactive. But transactions associates with a record need to inactive it. Because records with transactions can’t be deleted. Then you can create a new vendor or employee using all further information.
Note: There is no option in QuickBooks to change a name type from anything other than Other Names.
In QuickBooks Online you can only make inactive there is no permanent delete button. This is only available in QuickBooks Desktop versions but not in QBO.
- Steps to Change Vendor to Employee
- Issue while changing the name type to another customer, vendor, or employee
- Steps to Change Employee to vendor
- How to change a customer to a vendor in QuickBooks
Steps to Change Vendor to Employee
Change vendor, customer or employee name type
Recently, there is no option is available in QuickBooks to change a name type to another named type other than another name.
- Changing a customer to a vendor or employee
- Changing a vendor to a customer or employee
- Changing an employee to a vendor or customer
There are two options available if you want to change the name type.
Option 1: You need to delete the name and create again under proper name type. Remember that it only works if there is no transactions exist for that particular name.
- Visit Center (Customer Center, Vendor Center, or Employee Center) where the name exists.
- Then right-click to the name and choose Delete (Customer: Job/Vendor/Employee).
Option 2: Inactive the name and recreate it under right name type. And this works when there are transactions associated with the name.
- Go to the Center (Customer Center, Vendor Center, or Employee Center) where the name exactly exists.
- And right-click to the name and choose to Make (Customer: Job/Vendor/Employee) inactive.
Note: Remember that other names can only be changed to the different name type (Customer, Vendor, or Employee) and after changes that name type can’t be any longer to altered.
Issue while changing the name type to another customer, vendor, or employee
Sometimes when you try to enter the name or wants to changes the name you face an error.
It shows an error: “The name supplied already exists. Another customer, vendor, or employee is already using this name” these errors may cause due to:
- When you try to import data from QuickBooks Desktop or while turning on the payroll after adding the employees in QuickBooks online.
- Or sometimes the customer, vendor, or employee name you trying add which may already exist in QuickBooks Online.
Editing the duplicate or making it inactive
If you are facing error continue, then there might be more then one duplicate in the customer list. You can select duplicate or do it inactive (if you don’t have a requirement).
- Choose Sales, Expenses, Workers, or Employees, as your choice and select Customers, Vendors, or Employees.
- Search for duplicate vendors, customers, and employees.
- Choose Edit.
- Add digits at the end of the name in the Display name as the field. (Note: If you don’ have the requirement of the profile, you can choose to Make inactive. For making the existing name inactive also permit to add the new, identical name).
- Choose Save.
Change the display name
Here are the steps that help you to change the display name:
- Sign up for your QuickBooks Online Company file.
- Choose Expenses, and click on Vendors.
- Choose the name of the duplicate vendor.
- Choose Edit (Note: Click on the Sales then select Customers this is to check the duplicates in your customer list.)
- Change the Display name as the format to “last, first”.
- And click on the Save.
Steps to Change Employee to vendor
You just need to create a New vendor. And enter the employee’s transactions as checks. And inactive the employee.
Follow the steps to create checks:
Create checks in QuickBooks Online that helps you to track your expenses, and also helps you in organizing your checking account and bank statement reconciliation.
To create checks:
- Choose the Create icon.
- Select Check under Vendors.
- Select Payee from the drop-down list.
- Choose for a Bank account where the money will withdraw.
- Fill all the check filed. Note: You receive Memo field as optional. Enter text in the Memo field in the register, on print checks, or on the reports which include this check.
- Choose Print or Preview option if you required printed checks.
- Choose Save and close or Save and new.
Now, you are ready to write a check in QuickBooks Online.
Note: If there are lots of checks to write, then it is easy to right to insert them from the Register, or download transactions directly from the bank.
After entering the employee’s transaction to the checks, now you need to inactive the employee.
Add, edit, or inactivate an employee
Follow the steps and you are easily able to add, edit or inactive the employees in QuickBooks Online without subscribing to payroll.
Add an Employee
- Choose Workers > Employees.
- Click on Add an employee.
- Insert the employee’s information.
- Click on Save option.
Repeat these steps and add the number of employees you want to add.
Edit an employee’s information
- Select Employees under Workers option.
- Go to the Action and choose Edit.
- And edit information according to you.
- Then Save it.
Make an employee inactive
- Choose Workers option and click on the Employees.
- Go to the Action and choose the drop-down beside the Edit.
- Choose to Make inactive.
If you want to make employee active again then follow these points:
- Choose the Gear icon under Add an employee.
- Choose to Include inactive.
- Go for Make active option.
Now, go through the steps to create a vendor:
How to Create a Vendor
- Select Expense in the left-hand menu, then click on Vendors.
- Click on the New vendor at the upper right corner.
- Set Vendor Information.
- Then click on Save.
How to change a customer to a vendor in QuickBooks
There is no delete button in the list. Only one option you can make the customers inactive. And you can only delete the customer by making it inactive. Inactive customers are not visible in the Customer Contact List report.
While you are using the customer reports for the sales so make sure any inactive customer is not available in that report.
Follow the steps of how you can do this:
- Select Reports and then search for any sales in the customer report.
- Choose the Customize button.
- Select the Filter option.
- Go for a Customer box and choose the customer name that you want to include in that report.
- And click on Run report.
While changing a customer to a vendor or vice versa in QuickBooks it will change the automated process which you access with regard to organization or individual. And you find that these changes may involve losing data associated with it related to any person or company. So you can store this information using notes. Each of the user or vendor who is listed in QuickBooks has a notepad in which you can add, append or edits the notes.
And if you face any issue related QuickBooks dial QuickBooks Support Number +1-844-770-0699 to get Live Help & Support.