Are you trying to update QuickBooks Payroll, but can’t able to update due to QuickBooks update error 15106. The following error message is displayed “the update program cannot be opened” or “QuickBooks update Error 15106: The update program is damaged” while updating QuickBooks Desktop?.
If you are in the same situation, then follow the steps mentioned here to quickly fix this error “www.quickbooks.com/support/update.html error 15106”.
First, let’s discuss the main causes of this payroll update error.
Causes of QuickBooks update Error 15106
QuickBooks Error 15106 is basically a payroll update error and the main causes of this error are as follows:
- You are not login to an administrator account while updating.
- You already have an anti-virus program installed on your computer that’s responsible for blocking the update.
- You have enable UAC settings
Recommended reading: How to fix QuickBooks Online login problem.
Steps To Fix QuickBooks Update Error 15106
Solution 1: Switch User To Administrator/ Login to Your Admin Account
1. If you already login to a different user, Simply go to the QuickBooks Desktop icon > right-click on it > Run as Administrator > type your admin ID & Password > Click on OK. Now you’re logged in to your Administrator account.
2. You can also login to the admin account simply by click on start menu > on the bottom right side click on arrow > then click on Switch-user. Now entering your Admin Id & password you can easily switch to your admin account.
Solution 2: Stop or Uninstall the Anti-Virus Programm and Rename Folder
- First open Task Manager by pressing Ctrl+Shift+Esc
- Now, go to the Processes tab, then look for the anti-virus that is in your system For example: Spy Sweeper.exe or any.
- Select End Process.
Note: If you are getting any issue while performing this task, then simply uninstall the antivirus application.
1. After that rename the QuickBooks update folder.
- Open File Explorer by pressing Windows key+E
- Proceed to C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks(year)\Components(for 32-bit users). And for 64-bit users, proceed to C:\Program Files(x86)\Intuit\Quickbooks(year)\Components.
- Now, right-click on the downloadqbXX folder > select Rename. Keep in mind XX stands for the year version of your QuickBooks. For Ex: downloadqb20 for QuickBooks Desktop 2020.
- Add .old extension to the end of the name. Example: downloadqb20.old.
2. After renaming the folder, try to re-update the QuickBooks Desktop.
Solution 3: Disable User Account Control (UAC)
Steps to change UAC settings for Windows 10, 8.1, 8 and 7
- First open run box by pressing Windows+R.
- Now, type Control Panel and then click on OK.
- Pick User Accounts then again choose User Accounts.
- Next, click on Change user account control settings.
Note: If you are getting any prompt by UAC, choose Yes to continue.
- Now, move the slider. If you want to Set to turn UAC OFF, click on never notify and select OK. If You want to turn UAC ON, set to always notify and then select OK.
- After setting the slider, restart your computer.
Solution 4: Perform a Clean Install in Selective Startup Mode
Install or uninstall QuickBooks in Selective startup
Step 1: Prepare your data for backup
First, create a backup of your company files and also keep a copy of your QuickBooks Desktop product and license info.
Step 2: Start your computer in Selective startup mode
To make sure no other application blocks you from completing your task, switch to Selective startup mode
- Open Run Box (Windows+R ), Type msconfig, and click on OK.
- Go for the General tab, choose Selective startup and Load system services.
- And, then go to the Services tab, then choose Hide all Microsoft Services.
- Check the Hide all Microsoft services check box and then click on Disable all.
- Don’t forget to check Windows Installer checkbox from the list of services.
- After checking the Windows installer, on the System Configuration window, select Restart.
Step 3: Uninstall & re-install QuickBooks Desktop
After restart, when the computer opens uninstall the QuickBooks Desktop and then reinstall the application.
Step 4: Again Switch To Normal Startup Mode
After re-installing the QuickBooks Desktop, restore your system settings to the normal configuration.
- Open Run Box (Windows+R), type msconfig in the box, then select OK.
- Select Normal startup, in the General tab, then choose OK
- Select Restart, on the System Configuration window.
These above are the four simple steps to get rid of QuickBooks update error 15106. Hope, these solutions will give fruitful results to your queries.
In case, if you are not relieved from QuickBooks payroll update error 15106 after applied these steps, then don’t be panic, just pick your phone, call us Directly on +1-855-441-4417 and talk to our Intuit Certified QuickBooks Proadvisors for instant help.