We’re sorry. QuickBooks encountered a problem when opening the company file. Error codes: (-6000, -77).
Are you getting this QuickBooks Error 600-77 that commonly occurs when your company file is stored in an improper folder? The first thing you should do is restart QuickBooks with increased permission. Most of the time, the error is resolved after the restart and there is not any further action needed.
Possible quick tips to fix this:
- Close your QB and then right-click the QuickBooks Desktop icon on your desktop and select Run as Administrator to re-open it.
- Copy the company files Manually If they saved on an external drive.
- Causes of QuickBooks Error 6000-77 Error
- How to fix QuickBooks Error 6000-77?
- Some Other Helpful Tips to Solve this error:
- Solution 1: You Can also fix this by Using the UNC path instead of the mapped drive
- Solution 2: Configure your firewall and security software
- Solution 3: Re-create the damaged folder by this step
- Solution 4: Copy the QuickBooks file on Desktop
- Solution 5: Run QuickBooks File Doctor
- Solution 6: Rename .ND and .TLG files:
Causes of QuickBooks Error 6000-77 Error
This is a series error of QuickBooks Error codes 6000. Some of the possible causes for qb error 6000 77 may be:
- Inappropriate folder permission for the folder that keeps the company file inside.
- The company file should be on a network or local drive that is located on an external storage device.
- The company file is being opened by QuickBooks by referencing a mapped drive
- QuickBooks running in multi-user mode when communicating the problem.
Note: In most of the cases, the error is solved after restarting the system.
How to fix QuickBooks Error 6000-77?
Some Other Helpful Tips to Solve this error:
- Reboot the QuickBooks software with more permissions. In many situations, the error is removed after the software is restarted and no further work is required.
- Run a QuickBooks file doctor. That has the ability to repair damaged or corrupted QB files. However, sometimes this utility fails in QuickBooks file recovery and therefore fixing the 6000 77 error message. This is for its weak and basic underlying technology.
- Move the company file to a local or network drive if it was previously stored on an external storage device. Then, try opening the QBW file in QuickBooks and see if the error has gone or it still exists.
- If QuickBooks Company file references the mapped drive, change ‘settings’ and select ‘right server’. To do this, click on ‘Open or Restore’ in the File menu. After this, select ‘Open a company file’ and then click on ‘Network Place’. Also, click on the ‘entire network’ and select the server in which the company file was stored. Finally, to check if the solution works, restart the QuickBooks software.
You can try to fix this type of error by using one of these given solutions:
Solution 1: You Can also fix this by Using the UNC path instead of the mapped drive
- Right-click the QuickBooks icon on your desktop, press and hold the Ctrl key on your keyboard, and select Run as Administrator. Hold down the Ctrl key until you have the No Company Open window.
Note: Holding down the Ctrl key prevents QuickBooks Desktop from auto-opening a company file.
- From the File menu, select Open or Restore Company > Open a company file > Next.
- In the left pane, click Network, and navigate to the location of your company file.
Note: If you can’t find the folder where the company file is saved, you may need to set folder permissions.
- Select the company file and click Open.
Solution 2: Configure your firewall and security software
See how to Configure firewall and security software
Solution 3: Re-create the damaged folder by this step
- Create a new folder in drive C of your computer.
- Open that folder where the company old file is saved.
- Find the .qbw file. Like- company_file.qbw.
- Copy the .qbw file.
- Then open the new folder and paste the file.
- Set window on Access permission to share company files.
- After that open QB Desktop and open the file from a new place.
Solution 4: Copy the QuickBooks file on Desktop
Copy files to the desktop and later open it for the test if you are facing any issue with the location of the company file. Here, there are two desirable things. The first one is your file will open in a new location meaning that there is a problem with the previous location, perhaps it’s damaged or too deep that this file path exceeds system boundaries. If you are unable to open the file from a new location, it indicates that the file itself is damaged.
- Go to the folder that holds your company file.
- Now, select the file with .QBW extension and right-click on the file, and select the copy to copy the file.
- Later, Go to desktop, press the right button of the mouse and click on the paste to paste the file.
- Open QuickBooks while holding down the control key, so that you are redirected to a No company’s open window.
- Now, open the existing company or select Restore.
- Go to the desktop and look for the company file that you copied and open.
Solution 5: Run QuickBooks File Doctor
Download and run the QuickBooks File Doctor to fix this error.
Solution 6: Rename .ND and .TLG files:
Rewrite the extension of .ND and .TLG. These extensions help to configuration files that allow QuickBooks Desktop to access company files in your network or in multi-user mode. Harmful .ND or .TLG files can cause errors when opening the QuickBooks desktop. Renaming these files does not lead to data loss because when you open the company file or scan the company files using the QuickBooks database server manager, they are automatically reproduced.
- Go in Computer and select the folder and open in which your company file is.
Default Location: C: \ Users \ Public \ Public Documents \ Intuition \ QuickBooks \ Company Files
- Search for files with the same file name as your company file, but with the extension.ND and .TLG.
eg: company_file.qbw.ND, company_file.qbw.TLG
- Right-click select .nd / .tlg file and rename. To link the word “.old” in the last of the file extension and press enter.
Example: company_file.qbw.nd.OLD, company_file.qbw.tlg.old
I hope this post will help you resolve QuickBooks Desktop error 6000 77. If you still need help with this error or any other QB issue, then call us at our toll-free QuickBooks Error support number +1-844-770-0699.