Budgeting in QuickBooks is very important for your business growth. Here in this article, we will discuss how you can create budgets and how does it work in QuickBooks properly. You can also get connected with Intuit certified ProAdvisors to discuss this topic in deep. call our QuickBooks Support number +1-855-441-4417 toll-free.
Budgets in QuickBooks
The QuickBooks Budgets helps you to see how well your company is performing and compare your actual revenues and expenses to your company’s budgeted amounts. In QuickBooks Online you can create budgets by Class, Location, or Customer, but not by two or all three. You can create a budget in QBO by only one category per budget.
Step 1: Setup the first month of the fiscal year
First, you need to find out when your first month of the financial year starts. Then, you can verify or change the financial year settings in QuickBooks.
- First, click on the Gear icon and then open settings.
- Next, select the Company Settings option.
- Here, select Advanced.
- Go to the Accounting section, open the First month of the Financial Year field, and verify whether the settings are correct or not. If not, then click on Edit and change it.
- Finally, Save and Done.
Step 2: Get budget data
You can have your financial data either from the current fiscal year or from the previous year fiscal year’s amount. If you are planning to use any historical report, then you should run profit and loss details report to make sure that the transactions are perfectly assigned in the past.
By default, you will be seen report with transactions created during the current financial year to the current date. But, if you want that your reports show previous year financial year’s amount instead of current year then follow the steps mentioned below to customize the reports.
- First, select Reports.
- Here, you need to find your Profit and Loss Details report.
- Then, From the Report period drop-down menu and select the Last Financial Year (If January is the first month of your fiscal year then select Last Year) to use the previous year’s data. If you want to use the current financial year data, then you can choose the default setting by selecting This Year-to-Date.
- And finally, Run the Report.
Step 3: Create a budget
- Select the Gear icon then Budgeting.
- After that click Add Budget on the top-right corner.
- Enter the required information:
- Budget Name
- Budget Fiscal Year
- Interval: Monthly, Quarterly, or Annual
- Pre-Fill Data (select no/from the previous year)
- Subdivide by, select:
- Do not subdivide
- Location (may be asked for Business, Department, Division, Territory, Store, etc)
- Customer( Asked for Client, Donor, Member, Guest, Patient, Tenant, etc)
- Note: Subdivided new field will appear in the selected fields.
- Click next.
- Then select the category.
- After that enter the budget amounts, then click save at the lower right.
- Enter budget amounts for all subdivided categories.
- Click save and close.
NOTE: Remember in QuickBooks Online you can create budgets only one year at a time. It also does not have the capability to do Budget forecasting.
Run budget report
There is a feature in QuickBooks Online that is called special budget report that will help you in keep tracking of your budget goals.
- First, open settings by clicking on the Gear icon and select the Budgeting option.
- Here, you need to find your budget on the list.
- Then, in the Action drop-down menu, either select the Run Budget Overview report option or Run Budgets vs Actual reports.
In the budget overview report, you will be able to see the summarized budgets according to accounts, on the other hand Budgets vs Actual reports summarizes account alongside your actual account totals. Here, you can also see how much you are under or over the budget.
Related article: How to use QuickBooks budgeting tool to plan a perfect budget?
Copy, Edit and Delete a budget
How to copy an existing budget
- Select the Settings Gear icon then Budgeting.
- Locate the budget that you want to copy.
- From the drop-down menu on the right select copy.
- In the Copy Budget window, enter a new budget name and then enter the fiscal year.
- After that, click Create a Budget.
- Update the budget amounts.
- Click Save and close.
How to edit an existing budget
Follow the steps mentioned below if you want to make changes or edit a budget in QuickBooks.
- First, open Settings and then select the Budgeting option.
- Here, in the list, you need to find your budget.
- Then, click on the Action drop-down menu and then select the Edit option.
- Next, you need to edit each account at one month at a time.
- If you are currently using a month-to-month time period and want to change it to the quarterly or yearly period or vice-versa, then click on the Gear icon at the top of the budget and then either choose Quarter or Year.
- Once you are finished making required changes, select Save.
Related article: How to plan your profit with QuickBooks budgeting?
Delete a budget
If you are planning to delete a budget then before doing that you have to be completely sure because once you deleted a budget then you can’t recover it again.
- First, go to Settings and then select the Budgeting option.
- Here, in the list, you have to find your budget.
- Then, click on the Action drop-down menu and then select the Delete option.
How does it work
After creating a budget you can determine upcoming income and expenses. Day by day you can compare actual income and expenses with your budget.
How to Categorize Budget Amounts:
A basic budget contains a hierarchy for each of your income and expenses accounts, A column is present there for each month. Besides you can track amounts in the interchange for each row and column.
A subdivided budget gives you a facility to be more specific about what you can track or not. You can track account amounts on a monthly basis for each class, location, department, and each customer.
Best ways to speed up data entry:
QuickBooks provides you with different ways to enter your data faster.
You can do it:
- By enter quarter/annual amounts and calculate monthly average form them.
- And By enter an amount and copy it across the remainder of a row.
- By your initial budget on previous data.
Above, in this discussed everything you need to know about creating a budget in QuickBooks Online. In addition to this, we’ve also discussed how you can copy, edit, and delete a budget also. And we’ve also shown you the things you need to know after you create budgets in QuickBooks.
We hope this will be helpful to you. If you also want to learn more about the budget and how does budgeting works, get in touch with our well qualified and experienced accounting experts at toll-free +1-855-441-4417.