Last Updated on by
The usage limit is something for which users are always pathetic about. Earlier it used to be QuickBooks Desktop where we used to get the message like “you have exceeded the limits of the software, you need to upgrade to the next level” But the same approach is now taking effect in QuickBooks Online. In the very beginning of 2019, this usage limit was introduced in QBO. Now, here we will discuss the QuickBooks Online Usage Limits.
These limits determined how many users, classes, locations, and charts of account elements you have.
You will be able to stay in your plan, even if you have exceeded your plan usage limit till six months after introducing these limits. And this will happen till only October 2019, after this QuickBooks Online will not support those accounts whose plan usage limitations are exceeded.
If you exceed the limits of your usage limits, then you have to upgrade your account to the next level. The rules related usage limits were started from April 10, 2019, and it will impact QuickBooks Online Plus, Essentials, and Simple Start.
There are the Usage Limits in every version of the QuickBooks Online except QuickBooks Online Advanced.
Finding Your QuickBooks Online Usage Limits
If your usage limits are over than take action before October 2019, and after finding your usage limit make sure that you will able to access your account after October month.
QuickBooks users can see their limits from their Usage Limits Dashboard in the account and settings in your usage tab
- First, you have to sign up for your QuickBooks Online Account.
- Then select the Gear icon
- Select Account and setting from the left head column
- Select the usage tab from left-hand options.
From the starting of Monday, October 2019, accounts that are over a limit will be suspended on the next renewal date. Just take an example, if you are using QuickBooks Online Plus and you have 251 charts of accounts, you will need to upgrade it to matches to usage limit or you have to reduce your data to be within the limit of your plan.
QuickBooks Online Usage Limits Plan
|Classes and Locations (Combined)||0||0||40||No Limits|
|Chart Of Account||250||250||250||No Limits|
Other user types (Unbilled)
|Reports-only||0||0||No Limits||No Limits|
|Time tracking only||0||No Limits||No Limits||No Limits|
There are some points to note:
- If you subscribe through your accountants, so contact them to change in the plan.
- If you have so many companies, need to check usage for each of the company.
- Only active accounts, classes, and locations count under the usage limit.
- The user’s limits also count pending invites you have sent until they are removed in 90days.
What are Classes, Locations, and Chart of accounts?
Classes and Locations
Do you know which part of your business provides you big benefits? And your business is broken into the departments and each department is located at a different location, so you should know which location is a big source of income for you.
You can track these most important information related classes and locations in classes and locations in QuickBooks online Plus and you will easily know about all the location which is providing you benefits or which are not. It will help you make decisions for growing your business.
You can try this feature in QuickBooks Online Plus version. Classes and Location features are not available in QuickBooks Simple Start and Essentials.
Turning on Classes and Location in QuickBooks Online Plus:
- Under Cogs Company Preferences > Company settings > Company > Categories > Choose to switch on Classes and locations or only one.
- Under Cogs Company Preferences > Lists > All lists
- Choose either Classes or Locations or both.
QuickBooks Chart Of Accounts?
In Quickbooks company’s assets, liabilities, income, and expenses are represented and organized through Chart of accounts. By doing this, you will be able to track all your income or expenses.
There is the facility that QuickBooks can create charts of accounts automatically based on the type of company or industry you choose.
How can you access the Chart of accounts?
- Select the chart of account from any of the following QuickBooks menu: Company, Lists, Accountant. If you are using an accountant version.
- Press Ctrl + A while inside QuickBooks.
How do you get to know if your QuickBooks Online Usage Limits are over?
There are some points that can help you to find out that you are below or above the limits:
This helps you to find out which items count under the limit, there is a new filter that helps you to view lists for a chart of accounts, classes, and locations. This will show you a list of items that counts in the list of limits:
- Select either Chart of accounts, Classes, and Locations
- Besides the filter by the name field, select the drop-down
- Choose counts toward limits
Limit indicator banner
If you are in the Chart of Accounts, Classes and Locations page any of the one’s pages, an indicator banner at the top of the page will help you by indicating that you are below or exceeded the limits.
Usage limits dashboard
How many items you have for each usage limit, Usage limits dashboard will tell you. How can you open the dashboard:
- Sign in to QuickBooks Online and select the setting icon
- Select account and settings
- Select the usage tab
If the usage tab is not available in your dashboard. Then contact your admin user regarding this.
What happens if your account is suspended?
Unfortunately, if your account is suspended then you have to reactivate it. If your account is suspended, then:
- You will be able to see your transactions or your QuickBooks data but you would not be able to add new transactions or do any change.
- You will not be able to reduce your usage.
- You can export data to excel or a desktop version of QuickBooks.
- If you signed up for a QuickBooks Online Payroll through your QuickBooks subscription, your payroll subscriptions will also be suspended.
How do you get below the limits?
- You can manage classes and locations.
- Make an account inactive for the charts of accounts
- You can also manage account users.
What are the new Usage Limits:
In the January 23 article, there are specific usages for a specific version. Usage limits are specified in the article for the QuickBooks Online.
Classes and Locations
- QuickBooks Online Advanced: No limit
- All other versions: 40 (Combined)
Accounts in your Chart of Accounts
- QuickBooks Online Advanced: No limit
- All other versions: 250
Here Billable Users: Admin, Standard, and Custom users.
- QuickBooks Online Advanced: 25
- QuickBooks Online Plus: 5
- QuickBooks Online Essentials: 3
- QuickBooks Online Simple Start: 1
Other User Types (Unbilled)
- QuickBooks Online Advanced and Plus: 2 accountant users, unlimited reports only and time tracking only users
- QuickBooks Online Essentials: 2 accountant users, Unlimited time tracking only users, no reports only users
- QuickBooks Online Simple Start: 2 accountant users, no reports only, or time tracking only users.
They do not count into the Usage Limits when they are:
- Generated by QuickBooks Online at sign up or from the usage of services such as:
- Sales Tax
- Multi-currency and so on
- Generated by QuickBooks Services that you or someone with permissions have connected to your QuickBooks Online account, such as:
- Intuit Payroll
- QuickBooks Online Payroll
- Imported into QuickBooks Online from QuickBooks Desktop
Beyond the Usage Limits, third-party apps can continue to add to your chart of accounts. But manually you will not be able to add anything in your Chart of Accounts, Classes, and Locations after above the Usage Limit. And you have to upgrade to your QuickBooks Online Advanced and have to reduce lists from these areas.
Hope, after the detailed discussion on QuickBooks Online usage limits, you definitely got a good idea on usage limits. But if you have still any issue and query regarding the same, please feel free to contact our proAdvisor support team by dialing +1-855-441-4417.