While using QuickBooks you may go through several errors one of those is bill shows as an unpaid error in QuickBooks. The article below has detailed information about this error the reasons and of course the solutions too. These mentioned methods will lead to your solution, we hope that you will get rid of this issue but if this continues then contact us our QuickBook ProAdvisor will help you +1-844-405-0904.
Errors are common in our daily life, especially when we are working on any particular software. QuickBooks is also one of the well-known software developed to ease the accounting task for many. However, people do have a lot of complaints about its errors which are most commonly seen. “Bill shows as unpaid” is also an error that people might face commonly.
If you might have faced an error saying, “Bill Shows As Unpaid After Writing A Check-In QuickBooks“, then this article is for you. We’ll share few tested solutions to help you deal with the error easily. Let’s start with discussing what this Error means?
Bill Shows As Unpaid Error Complete Details
Once you enter the bill in QuickBooks Desktop, you can pay it by using Pay Bill Option. However, if you write checks to pay for an existing bill, then there are chances that the bill shows an unpaid status or remains unpaid. That’s where you’ll find this error.
But where there’s a problem, there’s a solution. Below we have provided few best-proven methods to help you troubleshoot this error completely and easily.
Solutions For “Bill Shows As Unpaid After Writing A Check In QuickBooks Desktop”
Before doing anything, it is advised to follow each and every step wisely so as to avoid any unwanted trouble.
Solution-1: Pay The Bill & Make Sure To Delete The Check
If you don’t want all your payments or transactions information to appear in the account payable, you can use this method.
Before doing anything, first backup your Company Files
Head to the Check Register window
- First, choose the Banking Option
- Next, click on Use Register
- Now from the drop-down list, you need to select the Bank Account which you used to write the check
- Next, select the Ok button and proceed
- Now find the checks with the error, and note the relevant details
- Now Simply close the Register, when finished
Head to the Pay Bills window
- First, head to the Vendors Menu from the main menu
- Now select the Pay Bills option
- Next, choose the relevant accounts payable account
- Now hit the Show all Bills option
- After this, you need to choose all the bills which you paid via Write Check
- Now for the payment date, you have to select the appropriate payment date you used for writing checks
- After this, from the method drop-down, select the Check option
- In order to attach the check number to the payment, select Assign Check Number
- Click yes to proceed after getting a notification
- Last but not least, choose the bank account you used to write the check, from the Account drop-down list
- Finally, Click Pay Selected Bills option
Head to the Check Register once again
- You’ll find the 2 entries (CHK/CHQ and BILLPMT) with the same check information
- You need to delete all the CHK/CHQ entries, by double-clicking the entries and selecting the Delete option from the Edit menu
Solution-2: Try Fixing Vendor Payments (Unapplied) & Credits
Note: This solution is not applicable to everyone, as it is limited to those who have QuickBooks account edition and QuickBooks desktop enterprise (16 and later).
Here’s what you need to do if the above note applies in your case:
- First, head to the accountant menu, and select the Client Data Review option
- Next, select Fix Unapplied Vendor Payments and Credits
- Now head to the Vendors Tab and select relevant Accounts Payable account
- Now simply select the vendor
- After this, from the Payments/Credits column, you need to select the appropriate check
- Now you need to select the appropriate bill from the Bills column
- Next, simply hit the Apply button and then Save
Solution-3: Try Linking The Check With the Bill
Make sure to use this solution only if your check is reconciled. You don’t need to do anything just to follow some easy & simple steps.
First Modify the Expenses Accounts to Accounts Payable
- For this, on the check which you have created, you need to change the expenses account to accounts payable
- Now select the vendor name from the Customer: Job drop-down list
- Now simply Save & Close
Now pay the Bill
- Select the Pay Bills option from the Vendors menu, and select the bills that correlate with the check
- Next, click the Set Credits option
- After this, head to the Credits tab and mark a check (✓) on the credit checkbox option
- Now change the amount as per the requirement
- Simply click on Done, and then Pay Selected Bills
So these were few simple methods to help you fix the “Bill Shows As Unpaid” error. It is advised to read and follow all the steps carefully in order to remove the error completely. However, if you still face any issue regarding the same, feel free to contact our Technical Support.