This article will teach you how to record an invoice payment in QuickBooks Desktop. Receiving bills in QuickBooks will come under the exceptional capabilities of QuickBooks Desktop offered by Intuit. This function is particularly used for receiving payments for an invoice without facing any difficulty or with no problems.
When a client is ready to pay you for an open invoice, once the payment is received, you are required to enter the payment in QuickBooks manually otherwise QB reports will show you wrong results and the invoice remains unpaid or due. Recording invoices come inside the Account Payable(A/P) workflows.
Process to Record an Invoice Payment in QuickBooks Desktop
Here you will know about the process to record an invoice payment in QuickBooks Desktop. To know about it simply go through the below details. All the details provided below will not only help you to receive payments for an invoice, also help you to enter a payment from a customer, so read it right now.
Note: Receiving or recording invoice payments is not only supported in QuickBooks Desktop, it also supports in QuickBooks Online.
How to Enter a Payment from a Customer
You can manually enter a payment from a customer by following the steps listed below. Before following the steps you must know what user you are?. If you are working on Windows then go through the QuickBooks for Windows otherwise go through the steps defined for Mac users.
QuickBooks for Windows
- To begin, you have to choose the Receive Payment, get this option from the QuickBooks Home Page or the Customer Menu.
- Now click on the customer’s name inside the Received From the drop-down menu
- Now you have to enter the amount received
- Check out the date is correct or not, if not then correct it otherwise proceeds to select for the Payment Method
- Now choose the invoice or invoices which you would like to pay
- You have to click on the Discounts and Credits to add a discount or credit
- In the end, click on the Save and Close option to keep all the changes you have previously done.
Note: it is by default that the payments are deposited to the account named undeposited Funds. It is up to you to read out how to change your default deposit to account.
QuickBooks For Mac
Some key points you have to remember before receiving the payment. These points are:
- You have to enter a sale receipt, If the client will pay the full amount at the time of sale
- If you will only receive a partial amount, then enter a payment item on a invoice
- If the payment is lower than the amount will have to be paid by your clients, then choose the Credit Memo to record the credit or issue a refund.
- If you are working with Intuit Merchant services, then you must be aware of concepts that process your customer’s credit or debit card.
To receive a payment you have to follow the steps listed below:
- To start, you have to choose the Receive Payments from the Customer drop-down menu bt scrolling up or down
- Now choose Create a Payment
- Simply fill out the fields
- Now choose the outstanding invoices and charges for which you are receiving the payment. A check will appear next to the invoice or charge
- Make a selection for which how you are willing to deposit the payment, you can either choose Group with other undeposited funds to hold on the payments in your Undeposited Funds account, or you can choose the Deposit to, then manually enter the particular bank account
- In the end, choose the Save option to keep the changes you have done.
Note: To edit a payment you have to choose a payment in the list, then edit the info. If you don’t know how to see a history of the payments for a customer, to do it simply choose View Payment History and check the payments done by your customer.
The Bottom Line
We hope you liked our article! Also now you will be able to record an invoice payment in QuickBooks Desktop by referring to our article. But if the queries are still going on, don’t worry we are here to resolve all your queries related to QuickBooks, so contact our Intuit Certified Proadvisors by dropping a call on our 24/7 helpdesk technical error support number +1-855-441-4417 and get the other best and innovative solution from our dedicated experts.