In this article, you know about how to add, edit, delete items in QuickBooks Desktop and Mac. Items are goods or services, it is anything that your organization is buying, offering, and reselling in the course of the business. Like products, shipping or transporting charges, discounts, and sales taxes(if it is applicable to that particular). It will display you as a line on an invoice or other sales forms.
In the below section, we start with the separate steps taken to add, edit, and delete items in QB Desktop. Inside the first section, you know about how to add items in QB Desktop, the second section tells you how to edit items in QB desktop, in the third section, you know about how to remove or delete items. Additionally, we also wrote down some frequently asked questions, helping you in fixing your query.
A Guide to Add, Edit, and Delete Items in QuickBooks Desktop
Here you will know the steps taken to add, edit, and delete items in QuickBooks Desktop and Mac manually. Take a look at the steps listed down:
First of all, you need to know how many item types are available in QuickBooks along with their specific guideline. Below you get a quick list that will help you decide before adding the items.
|Service||It includes a service you provide to your customer. Services can either be created by the job or by the hour(it’s up to you)|
|Inventory Part||Indicating those products you bought for fulfilling the reselling purposes. If you are not enabled the inventory in the course of Near step Interview or activated inventory on the Items & Inventory section in the Preferences then you are unable to pick this item type|
|Non Inventory Part||It includes: You purchase a product but unable to resell itYou sell a product don’t purchase a product you purchase and resell but don’t stock in inventory as well as track in inventory|
|Other Charge||Inside this item type, you can enter shipping costs, markups, or other line items, will see your invoices.|
|Subtotal||It helps you to add all the things that come before it, provides subtotal before including shipping charges in it, markups, or subtracts the discounts/prepayments. Enterprise 15 and later will help you to subtotal Quantity, Price, Cost, and numeric customized columns.|
|Group||It enables you to enter a group of items(all of them must have existed inside the Item List) all at once. For example: suppose you have to frequently pay a shipping charge that accompanies a separate type of charge, you can go for creating a group of items that includes both the items.|
|Assembly||Assembly is now only available in Enterprise and Premier editions of QuickBooks. It comes inside the product assembled from parts. In QuickBooks, it is tracked as an inventory.|
Look at the list of item types that are calculated. If you want to perform any of those calculations listed down, you must have item types on the basis of their calculations when you require them.
|Discount||If the discount item is not given/existed then you are unable to use a discount as a line item. Might you have more than the item, falls inside the item list. For example Discounts for wholesale clients and volume customers or retailers. A discount item will involve either a flat rate or a percentage.|
|Payment||If a partial payment, as well as total payment, received as a deposit specifying it as a line item using item type.|
|Sales Tax Item||For each sales tax authority for which you collect, you need to create one of these item types(only if sales tax is enabled).|
|Sales Tax Group||Many sale taxes appear on the same invoice specifying the Sales tax group(only if sales tax is enabled).|
How to Create an Item in QuickBooks Desktop
To create an item you have to go through the following steps listed below:
- Firstly, visit lists and then choose the Item List(If using Windows) or Items(If using Mac).
- Choose Item on the Item List Window and then New(If using Windows). If you are a Mac user then choose New (non-inventory item) or + (inventory item).
- Choose the item type which you are willing to create
- Now fill up the item fields
- For adding your own Customized fields, you have to use custom fields in Desktop and Mac.
- In the end, hit the Save option to save all the changes you have made.
Below we have listed the common fields for all item types:
|Item Name/Number||You can enter the desired name for the item. /name will include up to 31 characters.|
|Description||This field is used for adding the information of items. The information will include up to 4095 characters.|
|Sub-Item of||If you want an item to be a subitem of an existing item, you have to choose the checkbox|
Purchase Information and Sales Information
When you create an Inventory Part, Non-inventory Part, Service, Inventory Assembly, or Other Charge, at that moment multiple additional fields inside the Purchase information and sales Information will appear to you.
|Cost||You have to enter the cost of the item at the time of purchase|
|Expense Account||It is the amount that includes tracking the amount spent at the time of purchasing the item.|
|COGS Account||It describes the amount attributable to the total amount that was spent on the production of the goods sold by a company. You can also consider this as an account you use to track payments for the item.|
|Preferred Vendor||Select the name of the vendor from where you brought inventory|
|Sales Price/Rate/Price/Amount||This field will define the item type:Sale Price(Inventory): It describes the cost of selling the product and it could be equal or more than the cost.Rate(Service): Rate or price for the service you purchase or charge to your customers. It considers a flat fee or hourly rate.Price(Non Inventory part): It is either the price of the part you brought or charge to your customers.Amount(Other Charges): It is the amount of the charges you have to enter either in dollar amount or in percentage. If you are taking it in percentage then use the “%” sign|
|Tax Code (Windows) Taxable (Mac)||Windows users choose the taxable account and Mac users will have to choose the Taxable checkbox if you have charged the sales tax for the item. At the time of creating a taxable sale, QuickBooks will calculate tax on the item.|
|Income Account||It includes an account that is used to track the amount you have earned from selling the product or item.|
When you choose inventory as the item type it will see under Inventory Information.
|Asset Account||It is automatically assigned and generated by QuickBooks. In case you don’t want to use the default account, then you have two choices for choosing the assets. These are:Current Assets: These kinds of assets can easily be converted into cash within a period of 12 months.Fixed Assets: These kinds of assets are not converted into cash within a period of 12 months of performing normal operations. It considers the items necessary for your business operations.|
|Reorder Point||It defines the number of items before QuickBooks prompts you to order again that item.|
|**Quantity on Hand||It defines the number of items before QuickBooks prompts you to order again that item.|
|**Total value||It specifies the value of the stock you have on hand.|
|** As of||A valid date to which your reorder point, quantity on hand, and the total value will apply.|
**Quantity on hand and Total Value
- You have to leave the quantity-on-hand value at zero if this is a new item you have added to your inventory.
- If the item is already available in your stock, you must have to enter the quantity-on-stock and value of the last time you measured for, then make sure you have entered any sales or purchase of the item occurring between the date you measured the inventory and today’s date. It will help you in checking out the accuracy of the QuickBooks record of your quantity-on-hand for the items.
- If you consider this as an item that you are converting to an inventory part item from a non-inventory part/service or other charged item. The date you enter right now must be the date used after the last transaction used by the item.
**For As of Date:
- You have to use the current date for accurate records if you convert this item into a different type.
- If you are selecting your start date or either choose any of the past dates then you are required to enter all purchases and sales of the item from that past date to the current date to check both of your quantity-on-hand and value are accurate.
You are able to see these fields only when you are creating a group item.
Note: Before starting creating a group item you must be kept in your mind, all individual items required to be set up properly.
|Item List||It is a table that defines which item you want to choose in the group item and their respective quantities.|
|Print Items in a Group||If you want that individual item will appear on your invoices and other transaction forms at the time if using the group item, you don’t need to do anything more, just choose this checkbox, it will help you to do these all.|
When you want to create a Payment Item, the following details listed down will appear on your screen.
|Payment Method||From the drop-down menu, you can pick the payment method you are willing to use for when the payment item is using in transactions|
|Deposit Option||Selection of Groups along with another undeposited fund or OR deposit To radio button.|
Adding an item whenever you require it
An item can easily be created without leaving the invoices as well as sales forms. To do this, you have to enter the name of an item and then click on the Yes option(only if you are a Windows user). Choose the Setup(if you are a Mac user) when you see the on-screen prompts interrogating if you are willing to set up the item.
Steps to Create Multiple Inventory or Service Items
QuickBooks For Windows
- To begin, click on the Add/Edit Multiple List Entries from the Lists menu.
- Click on the Item type(Service Items, Inventory Parts, Non-Inventory Parts, Inventory Assemblies) you are willing to add from the List drop-down menu.
- It is an optional field, you can customize the columns that appear on the Window so that you can focus on the columns on which you are willing to do work.
- Choose the Customize Column button
- For adding a column, you have to click in the left pane and then select Add whereas to remove, you have to choose the column in the left pane and then select Remove
- For changing the order of the columns simply choose a column in the right pane and click on Move Up/Move down
- When rearranging the columns you are done successfully then click on the Ok option to end it.
Note: To return to the present columns for the list, it is up to you to choose the Default at any time.
- Now choose the first empty row at the end and then start making entries to add items. To copy your data from excel, press(Ctrl+C) simultaneously, and to paste that data, press(Ctrl+V) simultaneously. Data is pasted into the Add/Edit Multiple list window. QuickBooks gives you multiple options defined below:
- Copy Down: First choose any field to be highlighted and then right-click and select Copy Down. You have to copy field data into all remaining fields. If the data present any of these remaining fields, at that moment you will overwrite the data.
- Duplicate Row: Move to your cursor and place it to any row, right-click, and then Duplicate Row. This contains the duplicate record into the next row and it is preceded with the word ”DUP”.
- Now click on the Save Changes
- Fix the error that might appear while working on this process. Learn you will learn about it.
- At the time of saving changes in the Add/Edit Multiple List Entries windows, If any error occurs QuickBooks will tell you about it. An error appears in the Red text.
- Move your cursor where you will see the Red text, it is to check out the nature of the error.
- Choose the Save changes and repeat the process again and again whenever all the errors are fixed.
- If you are not willing to fix the error, save all the changes you are made for, and then click on the Close option to close the window without making any changes.
- Changes that contain errors are unable to save by Intuit.
QuickBooks for Mac
To create multiple inventory and service items, you have two choices: either go for the first one or choose the second one. These options are listed below:
OPTION 1: As soon as you have created a new item just to get another New Item window, you have to click on the Next option and then fill out the fields(if necessary) and the process will be repeated whenever all the items are created successfully.
OPTION 2: Import the items, you can do it by following the simple steps.
From the Lists menu, you have to click on the Items.
- Choose the + icon and then click on the Import items on the Item List Window
- On the Add Products and Services window you will see, apply the simple procedure on it:
- Select the Item type (Service, Non-Inventory, or Inventory)
- Now enter the necessary information
- Choose the Import checkbox next to items you are willing to import
- Choose the Import Button
- Now the Result Window will appear to you, will help you to tell you about how many items are reported. Now pick the Fix Error button if not all items are reported.
Create a Discount Item(for Mac)
Discounts are available for goods, products, or services either in percentage or a specified amount to the preceding line in a sales form. You are required to use a discount item for discounts you give for early payment. Discounts can be calculated once you receive payments from your customers. It calculates by following the simple steps, that are:
- Visit the Lists and then click on the Items
- Choose the + icon
- Click on the Discount in the Type Field
- Now enter the item name such as Discount
- Now enter a description, it will appear to you on your sales forms at the time of applying discounts on it
- Enter either the Discount amount or percentage
- For providing a discount in a percentage, you need to use a % sign
- For providing a discount at a specified amount, leave the Amount field blank and enter the amount directly on your sales forms
- Enter the account used to track discounts. You can use an income or expense account.
Tip: when an income account tracks discounts on sales, the account is also known as a contra income account.
- If you want QuickBooks to include discounts when it calculates tax on the sale, choose the Apply discount before sales tax checkbox.
How to Edit Items in QuickBooks Desktop
Once the item is created, the next operation you perform on it is to edit the item information at any time. To edit items in QuickBooks Desktop and Mac, you have to go through the simple steps listed below:
- Choose the Item List(for Windows user) or Item(for Mac users)
- The item which you want to change, double-click on it
- In the Edit Item Window, you have to enter your changes
- Click on the Ok option
Are you willing to edit multiple items? If you are willing to do so then visit the Add/Edit Multiple Lists window(List>Add/Edit Multiple List) rather than choosing another.
Change the Item type(step-by-step)
You can change an item’s type only if the item is a non-inventory part, other charges item, or an inventory part will be taken inside it.
- Choose the Item List(for Windows) or Items(for mac) from the Lists menu
- The item which you want to change, double-click on it
- Choose the new item type from the Type drop-down menu
- Click on the OK option
Points to be Noted:
- If you are changing the item either into an inventory part or either converting into an inventory assembly item, the as of date must be a date that is after the last transaction date, you enter this date for the total value of the item.
- Due to changes in types of items and what they can be changed to is very limited. An item cannot always be changed back. For example: If you change Other charge items to an inventory part item, you are no longer or unable to change its type.
Duplicate an Item[step-by-step]
Might your business will require the creation of a large number of the same items. When you are making duplicates or copies of your existing items, it saves your time. You need to modify it and then give it a new identity by saving it with a new name.
Note: You must remember that this is only available in QuickBooks for Windows instead of Mac. To make a duplicate, go through the steps listed down:
- Choose the Item List(for Windows) or Items(for mac) from the Lists menu
- Now a copy will be highlighted, then click right and click on the Duplicate Item.
- You can modify the existing information(if necessary). The name of the item remains the same but the “DUP” joined it. Rename the item whenever you want.
Note: Always remember that two items can’t be saved with the same name. To provide a new name while saving a duplicate of your items.
- In the end, hit the OK option
Points to be Noted:
- The duplicate new item will be a parent item only if you duplicate a main or parent item. But if you are duplicating a parent item that has subitems, in that case only the parent items are duplicated, subitems are not duplicated.
- The duplicate new item will be a sub-item only if you duplicate a subitem.
- All the inventory information will be copied excluding ‘On Hand’ and ‘Reorder Point’. These fields are set to ‘0’ only if you duplicate an inventory item.
Steps to Change the Prices of items(For Mac)
If you require to change the prices of your items, then learn the easy steps to do it now:
How to change prices to a specific amount?
- Firstly, visit Lists, then click on the Items.
- Control-click the item name and then click on the Change Prices from the shortcut menu
- Choose the item type which you want to change the name
- In the New Price Column, you have to enter the new prices
- In the end, click on the OK option
How to Change prices based on a percentage
- To begin, visit the Lists, and then click on the Items.
- Control-click the item name, then click on the Change Prices from the shortcut menu.
- Choose the item type which you want to change the prices
- Choose Calculate Prices
- Pick the items you want to markup to apply in the column. If it is all the items then choose Select All
- Now enter the markup in the provided field, you can either use a dollar amount or percentage. If you are going for percentage then make sure to type a percent (%) sign.
- You have to specify whether to calculate the markup depending on the current sales price or the unit cost for each item.
How to Remove Items in QuickBooks Desktop
To remove items in QuickBooks Desktop, you have to go through some simple and easy steps. These steps are:
Steps to Combine Two Items
If you enter the item twice due to some mistake, but with a different name then are required to merge or combine them so that all your transactions are only associated with one item name:
- Click on the Item List (for Windows) or Items (for Mac) from the Lists menu
- The item which you don’t want to use, simply right-click on it and then click on the Edit item
- Now, you have to change the item name with the same name as the item you are combining within it, inside the Edit Item window
- Choose the OK option and then hit Yes under the same name to confirm that you want to merge the two items
Point to be noted:
- Once you have merged two items, there is no option left to reverse it. All the transactions included closed periods will also come inside it. The data linked with the merged item is removed from your records as well as the items itself
- It does not allow to combine of more than two items simultaneously
- If both have sub-items then you are unable to combine items. It is required to first remove the subitems from the items you are willing to remove from it
Steps to Hide an Item
QuickBooks are not allowed to delete an item for good bookkeeping if it is used somewhere in the transaction. If you no longer use or stopped selling or buying the items then it is good for you to hide an item. To hide the item you have to go through the simple and easy steps.
- Choose the Item List(for Windows) or Items(for Mac) from the Lists menu
- Pick the item which you want to hide by double-clicking on it
- Now you have to choose Item is Inactive(for Windows) or Inactive(for Mac) in the Edit Item window
- Click on the OK option
Point to be noted:
- At the time of hiding the item, it is removed from the list but not from your QuickBooks records
- By choosing Include Inactive checkbox on your item list, you are capable of displaying inactive items on your list
- When the item is inactive, you can activate it again whenever you want, by checking the Item is Active checkbox. If the checkbox is out and you are not capable of making it active again, check whether it is a sub of an active item. If it is, you need to make the parent item active or remove the link between the parent item as well as a subitem.
Steps to Delete an Item
If you want to delete an Item then you have to follow the simple steps listed down:
- Choose the Item List (for Windows) or Items (for Mac) from the Lists menu
- Now pick up the item which you want to delete from the list
- Click on the Edit option and then choose the Delete Item from the Menu bar
Point to be Noted:
- You are unable to delete several items or the entire item list in a single attempt
- You can immediately revert a deletion after you deleted an item. In QuickBooks, if you perform any other action then you won’t be able to reverse the delete operation. Either you do it eventually or mistakenly, you are unable to reverse the delete.
Note: If you delete an item mistakenly then you need to instantly reach the Edit Menu and then click on the Undo Delete option to undo the delete you made.
Frequently Asked Questions
How many items can you set up in QuickBooks?
In QuickBooks Pro, Premier, and QuickBooks for Mac: you can set up to 14,500 items including active or inactive. But in the case of QuickBooks Enterprise Solutions: you can handle an unlimited number of items.
How many characters can you use for the item name?
Each name consists of up to 31 characters.
How many items can you use in a group?
In QuickBooks Pro, Premier, and QuickBooks for Mac: you can use up to 50 individual items. But in the case of the QuickBooks Enterprise: you can add up to 500 individual items.
How many items can easily be added to an assembly item?
- In QuickBooks Premier: you can add up to 100 assembly item
- In QuickBooks Enterprise: you can add up to 500 assembly item
Note: If you are working with QuickBooks Pro, then you are unable to create new inventory assembly items, it is up to you to view and edit the items(inventory assembly) from the list in any QuickBooks edition. In addition, you can also view or edit the transaction that uses them.
How do items appear with a negative amount on my invoice?
If the item is created as a Discount type, only this item will appear a negative amount when you use it on an invoice. Discount items are helpful in subtracting a fixed amount or percentage from a total or subtotal. Once the item is created as a Discount item, you are not eligible to change its type to the other. If you created the Discount item mistakenly then the best option you have is to delete the Discount item and create a new item with another different type.
You cannot use a discount item on a purchase order? Why?
Discount items are not used on purchase orders or bills. It will not appear in the Item drop-down list. A workaround for this is to create an Other Charge item and then enter a negative fixed amount(in this percentage will not work). For example, look at 10.00 indicating both in the amount or percentage(%).
How to discount all items on an invoice?
If you are willing to apply a percentage discount or surcharge to other several items including the item on an invoice, you are required to create a subtotal item. It is because QuickBooks will calculate percentage only on the line above, you must need to subtotal the items before you enter a discount item that will be calculated on the basis of percentage.
We hope you enjoyed our article! , but if the queries still going on, don’t worry, you will get other alternative methods to fix the issue about how to add, edit and delete items in QuickBooks Desktop by connecting our Intuit Certified ProAdvisors