When a QuickBooks user decides to shift his/her business from QuickBooks Desktop to QuickBooks Online, he/she needs to go through the process of exporting the charts of accounts. Today in this article we will guide you to successfully export your charts of accounts in QuickBooks Desktop. Read the article till the end. This will make sure that you export your chart of accounts properly.
Why should you Export Chart of Accounts in QuickBooks
In QuickBooks accounting software you must create a properly designed company file which is very much time-consuming. In this software, many default and inbuilt templates are available that help you to reduce the time consumption of exporting charts of accounts.
NOTE:- i) You must keep a copy of the QuickBooks file before you start the process of exporting the chart of account. If you lose your data while transferring the chart of accounts, then you can use this backup file.
ii) When you import or export the files, you must be logged in as an administrator.
iii) If your company file is being used by more than one user, then you must ensure that you are not using an active multi-user mode.
How to export Chart of Account in QuickBooks
Now let us look at the steps of exporting charts of accounts in QuickBooks
- The first and foremost step is to open the QuickBooks company file and to look out for the chart of account that you want to export.
- After selecting the Chart of Accounts then you have to click on the “File” menu and then click on “Utilities”.
- Then you have to click on “Export”.
- Then you have to open the lists of “IIF Files” and from that list you have to select “Chart of Accounts”.
- Then a window will appear on your screen to save the files. You have to select the location where you want save the file and save it.
- Now you have to open a new Excel file .
- Then you have to select the “From Text” option. After that a window will appear on your screen having a text “Import Text File”.
- Then you have to open the file where you have saved the Chart of Acoounts.
- Then you have to click on “Delimited” option and then select “Next”.
- Then you have to select from the options of delimiter and then you have to select “Column Data Format”.
- When you have completed all the selections, then you have to click on “General”.
- Then you have to save the file and have to select the location where you want to save the file.
- Then you have to select the existing excel worksheet and then click on “Okay”.
- Then you have to open the drop-down list of the file menu and click on “Save as”.
- Finally your file will be successfully saved in the form of an Excel sheet.
We hope that now you can export the Chart of Accounts easily by yourself. We will recommend you to follow all the steps carefully without skipping a single step to successfully export the Chart of Accounts. You can drop a call to us at +1-818-295-3510 if you need any help from Wizxpert through the QuickBooks accounting software experts.